Starlight night scope

paul connor

I take it you want to make an IWS I don't have the dimensions but have a few more diagrams & pics than in the latest article. It was the UK version of of the US, Night Vision Sight, Individual Served Weapon, AN/PVS-2( )

Length 17.5 in

Height 7.75 in

weight 6 lb

Width 3.5 in

So presumably you have sorted out the pig electrical problems? 8-)

This is the one i would like to get my hands on, Any one have an idea how much? working or not?

If not Does anyone have a scale drawing so i could mock one up?

www.geocities.com/urbexuk/starlight

My Son has one of those, it was on the Australian LSW he had at Beltring. Sorry not for sale but can take some photos & measurements... no idea how much they are as he was given this one, complete with bag & 4 different mounts

Any pictures or Info would be great, and a Broken one for sale woul dbe better! or indeed a working example would be a bonus but i have no idea what price to expect!

Cliv, The electrical problems are indeed Undergoing repairs, i have taken the switch board apart and made a repair which is not the best but will keep the Pig mobile for the rest of the season and until i find a replacement.

Also I shall be sorting the indicators, but alas with no ignition i cannot procced!

Should be all sorted by tuesday i hope.

I arrived in NI in February 1976. I remember there were several types of night sight and I do remember the one in the picture. I also recall a much shorter, wider sight which I believe to have been a NOD sight. No idea what the acronym meant

Powered by Army Batteries, they were less than brilliant. One afternoon our section was called to RTB from out culvert checking to prepare for a night op. Another troop had made a significant find after the bank of a stream had collapsed near Pomeroy. They had set up an OP to guard it in case it took visitors. We were to take over from them under cover of darkness.

Fresh out of training, I didn't have a clue, did as I was told and watched and learned. We took over from 2 Tp without ever seeing them (or indeed anything as it was moonless with 10/10 cloud cover). We sat in silence (and cold, and wet backsides). Silence. Periodically we would ask for or reply to whispered radio checks. Periodically a guy with a night sight (like I say, we had several, all different as far as I can remember) would power it up and scan the countryside. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Then at late o'clock there was a cough. Nowhere near where any of our people were (the two sections on different hillocks overlooking the target and the two Landrovers a little way away).

Our section commander quickly whispered into the manpack to find out if it was one of the other section of the Tp Ldr and LR section who had coughed. All had heard it but none was responsible.

Bums went into Sixpence - Half a Crown mode. Sub-Machine Guns, which could be cocked silently, were. SLR's, which couldn't, weren't, but we were all stood to. Powered up a night sight. In the cold damp night, the Army issue batteries were dead. Great. Power up another night sight. Guess what?

One of the Rover drivers lost his patience and there was a WHOOOOSH as he launched a Schermuly parachute flare and we all made ready. The flare reached the top of its flight and lit up ... a herd of cows that had wandered onto the target in the pitch black. I learned something very important that night. Cows cough just like humans. The OP being compromised, we PUFOed (Packed Up and Flipped Off) back to camp.

A couple of months later we left NI and were issued with real night sights. About four feet long and mounted coaxially with the 76mm gun, the Scorpion's Image Intensifying night sight set a new standard in night vision equipment. Our conversion from armour to recce (via tour of NI) was complete.