Crossley Q type 4x4

• 4 months later...
Hmmm....

That has the AC Delco points and coil system which was an alternative to the Simms Magneto.

I would be very interested in this for parts to build up an engine, any idea how much they would want or who to contact?

Thanks for the photos Graham.

Will have a look in my stock of old parts , I think that I still have such a AC delco points and coil system.

Please let my know if you are still after this bit !

Guy

Will have a look in my stock of old parts , I think that I still have such a AC delco points and coil system.

Please let my know if you are still after this bit !

Guy

Some pictures of the points and coil system, it is not completely the same as the one on the crossley!IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Hi from Down Under

A very nice Crossley Q was donated to the army museum at Bandiana , Wodonga , around 1980. The museum had a cleanout around 10 years ago, they sold it . The vehicle , when I looked over it, was a cab/chassis . The cab was in good order .

Mike

Hi Guy,

Sorry for the slow reply, I am not sure it will fit my Crossley as I have a flat plate to take a Magneto but I will definitely keep it in mind if I get really stuck and cant get the one from Tinkers yard, how much did you want for it?

Hi Mike,

They are few and far between especially with any bodywork or cab on, they were so basically constructed that they just rot away very quickly leaving chassis and running gear.

Do you know of any pictures? particularly inside the cab area.

A very nice Crossley Q was donated to the army museum at Bandiana , Wodonga , around 1980. The museum had a cleanout around 10 years ago, they sold it . The vehicle , when I looked over it, was a cab/chassis . The cab was in good order .

Hi Paul (and Mike),

I was at a military vehicle event in Australia in March, and talking to a chap who has one of these Crossleys, without a body, he then told me that he knew a place nearby who had a body. The ones over there were on RAF airfields, probably in the Northern Terrirtory giving radar or radio support to the fighters. There is a photo of one bogged in on Keith Webb's OldCMP website.

Not sure if it is the ex-Bandiana one though, could find out more if you are interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice pic from the IWM site:

"ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN MALTA, GIBRALTAR AND THE MEDITERRANEAN, 1940-1945.

Operation DRAGOON: the Allied invasion of Southern France. The crash tender of No. 111 Squadron RAF lined up with the flying control 'tower' and vehicles at Sisteron in the south of France, as aircraft of the squadron fly in from Ramatuelle."

IWM CL 1058.jpg

There used to be a Crossley Q emergency tender on exhibit at RAF Hendon aircraft museum, I haven't been for a good few years but remember it was very complete might be worth enquiring if its still there it would be good for detail information on frame and drive train.

Pete

There used to be a Crossley Q emergency tender on exhibit at RAF Hendon aircraft museum, I haven't been for a good few years but remember it was very complete might be worth enquiring if its still there it would be good for detail information on frame and drive train.

Pete

For many years now it has been on display at the RAF Museum at Cosford. I believe the main museum at Hendon have numerous publications on the Crossley and copies can be oobtained although its a 4 to 6 week process. I will do a search tonight & see if I can ID any for you

TED

For many years now it has been on display at the RAF Museum at Cosford. I believe the main museum at Hendon have numerous publications on the Crossley and copies can be oobtained although its a 4 to 6 week process. I will do a search tonight & see if I can ID any for you

TED

here we go http://navigator.rafmuseum.org/simpleSearch.page.do;jsessionid=0418EC4194BF3593DC734FF6C577B8FD

Very interesting search site, I will have to contact them for further info.

I managed to buy a photo copy set of manuals from the Manchester science museum which are very usefull! these came from the factory when it closed down and included some great photos of chassis and cab details before they were bodied.

I have been quite busy on other projects latetly and was informed the other day that one of the magazines had an advert for a Crossley cab for £600, does anybody know about this as I cant seem to track it down?VGEN.jpg

Here is a generator carrying Crossley.

Very interesting search site, I will have to contact them for further info.

I managed to buy a photo copy set of manuals from the Manchester science museum which are very usefull! these came from the factory when it closed down and included some great photos of chassis and cab details before they were bodied.

I have been quite busy on other projects latetly and was informed the other day that one of the magazines had an advert for a Crossley cab for £600, does anybody know about this as I cant seem to track it down?[ATTACH=CONFIG]63688[/ATTACH]

Here is a generator carrying Crossley.

the vehicle is an aec matador not a crossley cab looks similar

• 2 years later...

Hello Richard I am a new forum member, I only joined last weekend. I wondered if you had heard from PB Harcourt recently and if you knew how he was getting on with the 2 Crossley 4x4s he had acquired from some place near to Portsmouth where there appear to be some caravans parked from the photos he posted a couple of years back. I should know where the yard is because a friend of mine went a few years ago to pick up some bus spares and took photographs of the Crossley 4x4 with the Perkins engine which had been used as a timber tractor (and these are photos which I have only just seen ) But I immediately recognised the timber tractor shot. PB Harcourts last post on the subject of the 4x4 s was at the end of 2013 and I wondered if you knew of any progress. I have a friend who has three Crossley IGL8 lorries and has just finished a Crossley 4x4 and has two more to do.! I have a Crossley tractor unit but at present I am restoring my second Crossley motor coach.

Hello Richard I am a new forum member, I only joined last weekend. I wondered if you had heard from PB Harcourt recently and if you knew how he was getting on with the 2 Crossley 4x4s he had acquired from some place near to Portsmouth where there appear to be some caravans parked from the photos he posted a couple of years back. I should know where the yard is because a friend of mine went a few years ago to pick up some bus spares and took photographs of the Crossley 4x4 with the Perkins engine which had been used as a timber tractor (and these are photos which I have only just seen ) But I immediately recognised the timber tractor shot. PB Harcourts last post on the subject of the 4x4 s was at the end of 2013 and I wondered if you knew of any progress. I have a friend who has three Crossley IGL8 lorries and has just finished a Crossley 4x4 and has two more to do.! I have a Crossley tractor unit but at present I am restoring my second Crossley motor coach.

I am still here, silently stalking :D

Like a lot of big projects, life and finances have got in the way. The Crossleys are still there waiting my attentionbut will need a big cash boost to see some results along with the fact that some little b%*&£# stole the big copper radiator as soon as I removed it to clean and repair.

If you want to join forces for the good of Crossleys generally please let me know.

I think it's deplorable that there are very few WW2 British vehicles at the shows and would like to see more returned to the road.

Hello I am a new forum member, I only joined last weekend... I should know where the yard is because a friend of mine went a few years ago to pick up bus spares and took photographs of the Crossley 4x4... PB Harcourts last post on the subject of the 4x4 s was at the end of 2013 and I wondered if you knew of any progress. I have a friend who has three Crossley IGL8 lorries and has just finished a Crossley 4x4 and has two more to do.! I have a Crossley tractor unit but at present I am restoring my second Crossley motor coach.
Dear Crossley6, check Your PM box, please.

Dear modello,

I have tried to reply to your private message to me but every time it just disappears into thin air so to speak. So I will reply right here at the moment but in brief. Yes my friend still has the three Crossley IGL8 lorries and I will try and get some photographs for you. The parts lists do not have photographs as you say, but the official handbooks do have photographs which accompany the txt instructions on maintenance From memory I think my friend has a handbook for the IGL8 model so I will ask him. By the way there is also a Crossley IGL8 still listed on the inventory ofna museum in Vienna in Austria owned by a chap called Gill. This is an IGL8 with an 3 ton Coles crane. I will end this message for now hope you get to see it. ... Dave ....

Dear modello,

I have tried to reply to your private message to me but every time it just disappears into thin air so to speak. So I will reply right here at the moment but in brief. Yes my friend still has the three Crossley IGL8 lorries and I will try and get some photographs for you. Dave

Well, Dave, there are all O.K. with private messaging - check new PM, please.

• 1 year later...
Some years ago I was looking around for a Crossley 'Q' type tractor and contacted the Crossley Register. They were, at that time, able to tell me of seven or eight unrestored 'Q' types still surviving in various parts of the country including three, or more, that were standing in the back garden of a well known Crossley collector. I'm assuming that some of the posters on this thread may be members of the Crossley Register so does anyone know what happened to these back garden Crossleys ? Are they still there ? Restored ? Scrapped ?

By the time I was offered a fairly complete and running example things had moved on so I told David Shopland about it and he bought and, as far as I know, still owns that one.

Certainly does! We had her out in the sun for the first time in years today. Running, driving and most importantly stopping.

It took young Harry a few days of work on it to get to this point but very much worth it.

IMG_4852_zpsleddh6bh.jpg