Crossley Q type 4x4

The cab is constructed from top hat channel section steel with 1" square wooden batten sat in the recess, does anybody know if this channel section is still available?

And who supplies it? or am I going to have to have it made?

The cab is constructed from top hat channel section steel with 1" square wooden batten sat in the recess, does anybody know if this channel section is still available?

And who supplies it? or am I going to have to have it made?

You should be able to get a sheet metal worker to fold it in lengths to suit your requirements.

Is there anybody on the forum that lives in Manchester?

I have tracked down a handbook and instruction book for the Crossley Q type 4x4 at 'Manchester museum of science and industry' in their collections department, I have tried contacting them but with no luck so far.

If somebody could get a copy of them I would be most greatfull, they are listed on line as A1998.8/4 and A1998.8/7 but not available to view on line!

They may have more info such as parts books, engine servicing etc etc.. but its just too far from Southampton for me to pop along and look.:-(

Still hacking away at the bushes and trees to reveal the Crossley, I have braced and removed the remains of the top half of the cab which should provide a reasonable guide for copying.

One anomally that has appeared is the fact that the chassis was originaly painted RAF blue but then overpainted in green with patches of dark grey/black but the cab was painted green right from the start.

Does this mean the chassis was built pre-war and the cab during? would this make the build date 1939/40?

I will post pictures shortly before the cab disintigrates totally!

Any news on the Tinkers park engine? Where can I get the front wings copied?

Paul,

For wings, try these people (who, I believe, made the wings for the WW1 Dennis restoration):

http://www.vintagewingsandradiators.co.uk/pages/home.html

I mentioned John Jackson's example. He wrote an interesting account of his experiences, which is well worth getting hold of if you haven't seen it already. It also mentions that there are/were the remains of two-and-half examples in Norfolk. He doesn't say, precisely where they are, so he'll be worth quizing (via the Crossley Register?) - He obviously wasn't put off by Crossleys as he is now restoring his second Crossley double-decker bus!

• 4 weeks later...

Its more like an archeological dig than a restoration!

I am very carefully photographing and measuring everything as I go because most of it crumbles to dust when you touch it, the good thing is that when I have finished I should be able to replicate any number of Crossley cabs from the working drawings!

Removed the floor, seat, batteries and battery box today, the batteries seem to be original can anybody confirm this?

crossley2 009.jpg

crossley2 008.jpg

crossley2 010.jpg

crossley2 012.jpg

crossley2 011.jpg

Edited by pbharcourt

• 2 weeks later...

I have been carefully removing the existing paint from the front of the cab to try and find any markings.

First layer was the post war civilian red, second layer was overall brown, third layer was Micky mouse camo in black and olive green, last layer was a lighter green with what looks like morse code markings?

Any ideas as to what the markings mean all you camo experts out there?

263770_2168615572911_1172341164_2697514_1466883_n.jpg

270374_2168617732965_1172341164_2697520_6105065_n.jpg

261217_2168620213027_1172341164_2697530_8222369_n.jpg

da da da daaaa = V (for Victory!)

Almost certainly an addition by the driver - nothing official. A fantastic find and well worth reinstating in due course.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the remains of a FWD were sold at auction about 10 years ago. This is what it looked like:

Crossley.jpg

I came across a very nicely restored Crossley at Cark steam gathering a few years back.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?8827-MV-s-at-Cark-steam-gathering-27-07-08

Second Photo.

Glad you managed to get the required information from MOSI. If I'd have seen the thread earlier I'd have loved to have helped out if possible on that score. Very often visit the MOSI and have quite a bit of time on my hands at the moment.

Good luck with the restoration.

The remains of another Crossley FWD, reported in the June 1992 edition of The Automobile magazine in Nick Baldwin's column. Located (then) near Stroud. It's said to have its 4 cylinder petrol engine. Better details from Nick.

Crossley FWD.jpg

Edited by Runflat

Whooa!! that looks interesting, I know the photo must be 10 years old but the fact that it still has some woodwork left is a good sign, I can see there are parts that are restorable that I need. Any info as to its current situation would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I have today been crawling over another Crossley survivor, It is a Queen mary tug and trailer in un-restored condition.

This is local to me and will be invaluable as a reference source.

I think this is the same type as the Stroud remains as you can see the cab top in the background of that picture.

100_1529.jpg

100_1531.jpg

100_1530.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick up-date on the Crossley, slow progress due to other comitments but still moving forward.

I have disassembled the cab and put it into storage for referance later, I have been oiling and loosening all nuts and bolts, chassis has been jacked up out of the mud for the first time in 30 years and I have freed the hubs up, fitting the front wheels and the I will winch it on to hard standing so that I can strip the chassis down for sand blasting and painting.

I have found some spares in various sheds around the yard but still looking for a Simms SRM4 magneto and a Solex 46 RZI carb, heres hopeing!!:-D

251401_2296819777936_1172341164_2845576_8326414_n.jpg

281425_2296820817962_1172341164_2845577_6505428_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

have had another look at the front end today, there is a mag/distributor on it, the inlet manifold is broken off, so no carb, but it might be in/on the ground as the front end was upside down before it was righted recently, the radiator is there along with the rear axle.

the condition is slightly worse than the one you are trying to restore !

i will be back on sunday morning with a camra and will post the pics on here :-D

regards

The battery looks like 5 cells of the NIFE (Nickel-Ferrous) type giving a nominal 6Volts.

Nife cells are still around, 58AH types might be possible if we come across some while working on sub-stations, otherwise you can buy new Nicad cells to do the same job, or just fit a 60AH lead-acid conventional battery.

Peter

Some years ago I was looking around for a Crossley 'Q' type tractor and contacted the Crossley Register. They were, at that time, able to tell me of seven or eight unrestored 'Q' types still surviving in various parts of the country including three, or more, that were standing in the back garden of a well known Crossley collector. I'm assuming that some of the posters on this thread may be members of the Crossley Register so does anyone know what happened to these back garden Crossleys ? Are they still there ? Restored ? Scrapped ?

By the time I was offered a fairly complete and running example things had moved on so I told David Shopland about it and he bought and, as far as I know, still owns that one.

Edited by 6 X 6

Hmmm....

That has the AC Delco points and coil system which was an alternative to the Simms Magneto.

I would be very interested in this for parts to build up an engine, any idea how much they would want or who to contact?

Thanks for the photos Graham.