Crossley Q type 4x4

Is there anyone on here with a Crossley Q type 4x4 lorry? Wartime vintage used by RAF, there were some used with signals house bodies, and shorter ones towing Queen Mary trailers, and an open cab crass tender.

I have some information that might well be of interest to someone who owns or is restoring one. Last saw a restored one in Essex / Suffolk area, many years ago.

• 10 months later...
Is this info still available Richard?

My post from last year related to the whereabouts of the front part of the chassis with engine and front axle in it. Very rough, it could well have been scrapped by now, I cannot find the details of who contacted me about it, now.

Hi Graham

I am new to the milweb scene so I would appreciate any help or guidance you can give in tracking down Crossley fwd spares or current owners, I am afraid I dont yet know who stinker or pete are but they sound like interesting characters!

Are there any Crossley FWDs that are restored or being restored at the moment? I know of the crash tender at cosford and a queenmary tractor at Winchester but thats all and niether have the general service cab which is what I need to copy for mine.

I also need a contact to have the front wings copied or maybe modify some Matador wings? ideas on a postcard to 'upto myneck in rust, andbushes, Hants.'

Hi Graham

I am new to the milweb scene so I would appreciate any help or guidance you can give in tracking down Crossley fwd spares or current owners, I am afraid I dont yet know who stinker or pete are but they sound like interesting characters!

Paul, a PM sent to you.

Graham,

I remembered that bit, it was the guy you put me in touch with, who I have forgotten :undecided:

Richard

David and I came across the 'Q' at Tinkers Bush when we cut up the remains of a WK60 to provide donor parts for David's truck that would be about six years ago.

From memory the Crossley was pretty far gone but would yield some useful mechanical spares, nice to see there is at least one other raving masochist on this site

There was a crossley queen mary tractor near biddestone for years it belonged to a chap called stuart pontin it was bought for preservation by sombody in the avon area and thats the last i heard of it . Sombody on here may know where its gone though

Hi Graham

Are there any Crossley FWDs that are restored or being restored at the moment? I know of the crash tender at cosford and a queenmary tractor at Winchester but thats all and niether have the general service cab which is what I need to copy for mine.

I also need a contact to have the front wings copied or maybe modify some Matador wings? ideas on a postcard to 'upto myneck in rust, andbushes, Hants.'

good evening, i have had a chat on the blower with them at Tinkers Park and they will be looking into it at the weekend, they`ve moved it but do not think they have scrapped it, they will ring me back and i will let you know

regards

Richard

David and I came across the 'Q' at Tinkers Bush when we cut up the remains of a WK60 to provide donor parts for David's truck that would be about six years ago.

From memory the Crossley was pretty far gone but would yield some useful mechanical spares, nice to see there is at least one other raving masochist on this site

Hi Pete,

I remembered seeing the WK60 there in the late 1980's and when talking to David a few years back it came to mind and I was surprised to hear you collected parts from it.

regards, Richard

There was a crossley queen mary tractor near biddestone for years it belonged to a chap called stuart pontin it was bought for preservation by sombody in the avon area and thats the last i heard of it . Sombody on here may know where its gone though

There is a tractor unit in Somerset, I had put the owner on to these remains last year, but I do not think there was much there that he needed, hence why it is still around.

Thank you Richard and Graham, any leads will be great, thankfully the QM tractors seem to have survived better than the general service trucks due to the better cab design and the mechanics are the same :D

I am taking a tape measure to record the dimensions of what is left of the cab so that I can replicate it, it's pretty simply constructed so shouldn't present too many problems (fingers crossed!) now where did I put that dustpan and brush!

It comes with 2 spare gearboxes and another axle set but no engines.

Hmmmmm..... I could almost make another one up out of this :nut:

But seriously it does look like it could provide some engine parts for me, do you remember if it had a carb and distributor on the other side?

While cutting trees today I noticed a nice big area of the chassis in RAF blue while the rest of it seems to be mostly khaki, which colour came first?

Are there any MOD plans or specifications around for the RAF Crossleys?

Edited by pbharcourt

A bit of a long shot this one... The Jan 2000 edition of Classic & Vintage Commercials reported the sale of a collection of sorry looking vehicles including the remains of a Crossley Q type. The collection belonged to the Nicholson brothers of Faldingworth, Lincolnshire, the sale being on 29/30 October 1999.

There's a phone number relating to an unsold lot which links back to these auctioneers: http://www.perkinsgeorgemawer.co.uk/

They may still have records of this sale and be able to put you in touch with the buyer...

I seem to remember an article which I think was in CMV a few years ago about a Crossley which had been restored, not sure but but could have been in the Manchester area.

I will try to find the mag when I get chance.

There's a tractor unit in the Shopland collection (see Military Machines International, Dec 2010), which I think is ex-John Rowell.

There is also a crash tender at the RAF Museum Hendon.

John Jackson has/had the well known long wheel base version with box body.