Overheating Coil on Bedford OY?

Points gap 10 thou, plug gap 40 thou, timing spot on. Now idling very well. But coil too hot and cuts out after a while and will not re-start. After pouring cold water over the coil it will fire straight up again.

I have just gone back on this thread and saw that you have the plug gap at .040". A large plug gap is one cause of a coil overheating and the correct gap for a 28hp on normal points set up is .028"

I have just gone back on this thread and saw that you have the plug gap at .040". A large plug gap is one cause of a coil overheating and the correct gap for a 28hp on normal points set up is .028"

Just noticed that as well. Also, I don't have the books handy to check my increasingly dodgy memory, but shouldn't the points be 0.012" to 0.014" ?

Just noticed that as well. Also, I don't have the books handy to check my increasingly dodgy memory, but shouldn't the points be 0.012" to 0.014" ?

Hi Sean,

Think off hand points are .012". To be fair the plug gap specified in 1940 book was .040" but later on it was reduced to .028" which makes more sense.

Hi Sean,

Think off hand points are .012". To be fair the plug gap specified in 1940 book was .040" but later on it was reduced to .028" which makes more sense.

Yes, I'd remembered 0.028" to 0.030" - GM seem to like vague clearances! I hadn't come across that 0.040" spec though. Was it on a different / unusual distributor or coil? I seem to remember the 0.012" / 0.028" spec being good for all Bedfords with Lucas ignition, or am I misremembering?

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, I had the points at 10 thou and the plugs at 30 thou.

After reading the 1944 manual I increased the plugs to 40 thou, (as it says to do), neither setting made any difference.

Hi again did you get to the bottom of the problem yet?