What kit for my lightweight?

tinweasle

Hi everybody, I'm trying to get my lightweight GS ready to do a couple of shows, and I would like to get some kit to dress it up a bit, it was in military service from 1983 but wasn't issued intill 1985 and was cast in 1992, and was sent to 22 SAS (I'm not sure about showing it as an SAS vehical though).

The problem is that I haven't realy got a clue what kit would have been used at that time, so far I have picked up 2 x mk 4 helmets, 1 x mk 6 helmet, 1 x set of 58 webbing, 1 x 351 manpack radio on a GS frame, 1 x S6 gas mask and 2 x NBS suits dated 1986/87, but to be honest I have no idea what of it is right.

Can anybody advise me on any other kit, wepons ect that it would be worth looking out for?

Many thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

if you go to the forces80 website (link by my signature) you will get a understanding as to what personel kit (uniform, webbing, weapons etc) you need

Good luck with the Landy

All the best

Mark

Depending on your personal preverences, rivet counter, collector. want something looks good etc etc.the options are unlimited.

Assuming you are trying to get something that looks "period" your biggest problem will probably be when to stop adding stuff. The next think you know you need a trailer.

Better be careful not to fall foul of the "originality". Nice thread on this subject.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?13635-Originality&highlight=originality

They seem to pick on Land Rovers. Mind you in some cases I agree.

What ever you do don't go down the Jeep route. Rubber barbed wire is in no way authenric. It must have rust.

Whatever you do research it, don't rush and make it look good.

MIke

Hi everybody, I'm trying to get my lightweight GS ready to do a couple of shows, and I would like to get some kit to dress it up a bit, it was in military service from 1983 but wasn't issued intill 1985 and was cast in 1992, and was sent to 22 SAS (I'm not sure about showing it as an SAS vehical though).

The problem is that I haven't realy got a clue what kit would have been used at that time, so far I have picked up 2 x mk 4 helmets, 1 x mk 6 helmet, 1 x set of 58 webbing, 1 x 351 manpack radio on a GS frame, 1 x S6 gas mask and 2 x NBS suits dated 1986/87, but to be honest I have no idea what of it is right.

Can anybody advise me on any other kit, wepons ect that it would be worth looking out for?

Many thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun. As Mark pointed out, forces80 great site on kit etc. 1985- quite a few bit of kit changed, new weapons, webbing etc. started coming into use.

Will try to post a few pics next week of my Airportable FFR with kit C1980-85.

A useful book... Survival, Len Cacutt... I would have thought out of print.

Andy.

thanks for that, I like the look of a fully kitted out ffr.

I also see you have an SLR, what are the rules about deac's, I know you dont need a licence for them and that the rules on them changed in about 95, but is there anything I should know before getting one?

Cheers

Shaun

thanks for that, I like the look of a fully kitted out ffr.

I also see you have an SLR, what are the rules about deac's, I know you dont need a licence for them and that the rules on them changed in about 95, but is there anything I should know before getting one?

Cheers

Shaun

it is perfectly legal to own a deac weapon, pre 95 spec, everything moves, post 95 most parts welded shut! (Pre 95 spec SLR, about £600-£700, post 95 £250-£350 depending who you buy it of etc)

Mark

Hi Shaun. I was lucky and made redundant 4years ago!!! Being totally hopless with my money and single I went out and bought the SLR. I was also lucky and have folks I know who did me a good price on a old spec. SLR. Mark is spot on with what you may expect to pay. Also a option is a Sterling SMG, sadly prices may be approx the same, or slightly less.

From a recient deal with a .50cal. I have been informed a de-act cert. is not law. BUT do not be tempted to buy a weapon with out one, again I was lucky in having friends in the trade.

I now have one for it at a low cost and no problems, I was given instruction on all the proof marks required and where they should be, proof houses etc. I WAS lucky.

One thing I have found (depending on how you want to display) is ex. service men just love to be able to show you how they field stripped them. Not poss. with current deact.

At events a wire rope and padlock are a must. Good hunting. P.S. I had a job lined up the following week. Andy.