Identification artillery piece

Hello,

A friend of mine found the answer this morning.

It seems to be that it is a “canon de 105 L mle 1936 Schneider”

A gun from French design used with France, Germany and Romania in WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_105_L_mle_1936_Schneider

http://www.ww2incolor.com/Romanian+Forces/A+105+mm+Schneider+model+1936+towed+by+a+Skoda+6STP6L+truck_+from+a+motorized+heavy+artillery+regiment.html

http://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?article=310

Indeed its pity that it is living outside.

Grtz

Crets

Very nice piece -but certainly neads some love and care:cry:, I'm pretty sure the muzzle brake was particular to the Romanian version. The style of the brake is very similar to that fitted to the enigmatic Schneider mle 1936 47mm a/t gun which was licenced built in Romania. There were only 160 in service in France when war was desclared in 1939, the French version was well used by the Germans as a field piece and converted to coastal gun both in shielded casements and open mounts and examples of both still exist in Norway where most of the then designated K332(f) served, the light weight of the design was valued in mountainous terrain compared to the more powerful German equivilent the 10cm K18. There were supposed to be some in the Channel Islands. I would think that perhaps a example of the field gun may remain in Norwegian colections.

As to the Romanian version, it is possible that some of these guns went to Stalingrade as did some of the Romanian 75mm Vickers (barrow) anti -aircraft guns, so the type may have an important if not brief claim to fame. The Mle 1936 was exported against supplying/replacing obsolete stock in the French Army because of the poor financial condition of the French economy in the 1930s.

Edited by steveo578
correction & addition in italics

Very nice piece -but certainly neads some love and care:cry:, I'm pretty sure the muzzle brake was particular to the Romanian version. The style of the brake is very similar to that fitted to the enigmatic Schneider mle 1936 47mm a/t gun which was licenced built in Romania. There were only 160 in service in France when war was desclared in 1939, the French version was well used by the Germans as a field piece and converted to coastal gun both in shielded casements and open mounts and examples of both still exist in Norway where most of the then designated K332(f) served, the light weight of the design was valued in mountainous terrain compared to the more powerful German equivilent the 10cm K18. There were supposed to be some in the Channel Islands. I would think that perhaps a example of the field gun may remain in Norwegian colections.

As to the Romanian version, it is possible that some of these guns went to Stalingrade as did some of the Romanian 75mm Vickers (barrow) anti -aircraft guns, so the type may have an important if not brief claim to fame. The Mle 1936 was exported against supplying/replacing obsolete stock in the French Army because of the poor financial condition of the French economy in the 1930s.

Thx Steveo for your very interresting info!

But somebody told me that this gun is more then thirty years here in Belgium.

Looks strange that this gun was coming from Romania in full cold war to Belgium.

We checked this gun for a second time and we found French manipulation advice on it.

Maybe the French used this type also?

Grtz,

Crets

Edited by crets
More info