lmg bren.

griff66

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just looked at my S.A. bren, I have been told that it is a sanitised one sold to Rhodesia.

The only serial numbers on it are :-

RA 251

H 7983 with the R.A. number next to it (barrel change lever)

S 7678 Barrel

Mark

• 1 month later...

Nick,

Not too many of the L4s ended up Stateside. I know, I'd sell my wife to get one! From what I can gather, a fair few L4s that were cut up into parts kits were shipped here in the early/mid 1980s, but that was pretty much it. I'm only aware of one L4 in private hands over here, and another that was rebuilt from a parts kit.

Cheers,

Atherton

• 6 months later...

Hi John,

Can you re-check the date? The Mk3 wasn't produced untill 1944 and the first 8200 were marked as MkIII before changing to Mk3 in August 1944.

Also if you can find out the UE serial number and the original LB serial number (Barred out when convertedto L4 spec) that would be a great help.

ATB, Chris.

about 5 years ago i was lucky enough to get a L4 bren gun, i think its a L4A6 but i'll check next time i'm home, then 2 years ago from ebay i got a vehicle mount for it wit a brass plate saying;

"MOUNT GUN 7.62 MM

(L4A4) No 4 MK1

ASSY. DRG. FV. 565525

SERIAL No 09EA28 EX'D"

(sorry got no close up pic i can upload at the mo of the plate) i'v seen 303 brens on ferrets but would 7.62 brens been on them too? the serial number looks to be a mv reg number to me

Absolutley sure that they were used on the engineer headless ferrets, same mount as you have, located to the front plate of the armoured open top section.

Dragged an LMG around for a couple of years in the enginneers when i first joined, enjoyed it to be honest.........as a sprog it could have been worse and been the charlie g !!

Regards

Tim

• 1 year later...

well finally got myself a lmg for the ferret its good/v good condition marked up l/h side * gun m/c 7.62mm l4a4 bren mk3 crossed out then mg43ga , chris hall s/n is ue 73a19774 all s/ns match can u give any history on gun plse will post pics later.:-D crossed out s/n is LB 46or it might be a g then 215

Edited by griff66

When I was on the plains tour a few years ago, we met up with some soldiers that had just returned from iraq. One of them told me that we gave our stirlings to the iraqi's, and he had trained them up how to use them.

I also saw a video on youtube of the americans firing a stirling on a range in iraq.

When I was on the plains tour a few years ago, we met up with some soldiers that had just returned from iraq. One of them told me that we gave our stirlings to the iraqi's, and he had trained them up how to use them.

I also saw a video on youtube of the americans firing a stirling on a range in iraq.

This one

Something went wrong...

Pakistan still uses the Sterling I've seen one recently on the News (last twelve months)

My old Chief Gunnery Instructor would have a fit if he saw them holding a Sterling like that ....

Andy