lmg bren.

griff66

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i take it a british one would have l4a4 stamped on it any other differences between a south african and a british version.?

magazine, my S.A 30 rnd mag wont fit a L4, and vise versa. Mind you, it does fit my slr, makes it look very mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also the flash hider is different, the L4 is the same as a GPMG

Another thing, the S.A. bren is based on the Mk1, I think the L4A4 is on a later model (Mk4?)

Yes, a british L4 should have L4 stamped on it, my S.A just has 7.62mm on the body, as I understand it, it is one of a batch sold to Rhodesia, so it is sanitised with just 7.62mm and the RA number stamped on it (Rhodesian Army)

Hope this helps?

Mark

British L4A2 Brens were converted from Inglis Canada made Mk2-3 .303cal guns, the reason being is the modified breach block to make it easy to convert the Inglis Brens to use rimless 7.92 x 57 and 30.06in cartridges for lease lend to armies such as the Chinese Nationalists.

The British 30rd 7.62 x 52 magazine for the british NATO Bren could be used with L1A1 SLRs.

Steve

British L4A2 Brens were converted from Inglis Canada made Mk2-3 .303cal guns, the reason being is the modified breach block to make it easy to convert the Inglis Brens to use rimless 7.92 x 57 and 30.06in cartridges for lease lend to armies such as the Chinese Nationalists.

The British 30rd 7.62 x 52 magazine for the british NATO Bren could be used with L1A1 SLRs.

Steve

Hi Guys,

Not posted a reply here but as I have an intrest in the Bren I thought I would throw some info your way. All the British made L4A1/2/4 guns were based on the British Mk3 gun only. Only Enfield and the Indians (Who still made a version till recently) made the Mk3 gun.

The L4A3/5 guns were converted from any of the Mk2s available, Daimler/monotype or Inglis.

It is true that Enfield used surplus 7.92mm Breech blocks for the first L4A1s but they soon began to make there own.

The L4 flash hider is a heavier and stronger version of the L1A1 SLR type.

The Indians converted some of their Mk3s to L4 spec in the same way as Enfield did with the circular body inserts, but there guns are not marked L4Ax, they are marked IMG XXA. They then began to make a NEW L4A4 type gun which because it was new, didn't need the circular body inserts.

Also, the SA 7.62mm guns can be found converted from any Bren, I've seen Mk1s from the Enfield and Inglis (Strangely non from Lithgow yet) factories, Mk2s from Daimler and Inglis and Mk3s from Enfield. These are roughly following the development of the L4A1 type guns without body inserts.

Does anyone have a Indian Bren gun, these are quite intresting guns to study.

ATB Chris.

Always liked the LMG, just something about it. We had them in the RAF as well as the GPMG and I can remember shooting on Century range at Bisley on a run down.

Are any still in service?

Also I used to own an "India service" Lee Enfield 7.62, lovely rifle, replaced now by a Browning .270 nice but without the "character" of the Lee Enfield.

Funnily enough the dealer whose sold me a fair bit of gear told me he avoided LMGs as they always looked like they'd been butchered about. You can see what he means though:

The ones I remember were in excellent "factory fresh" condition, certainly did not look rough in any way.

The photo shown previous is a L4A3 which is why the original markings have been barred through, All British L4 weapons will have the same or similar barred through markings. Any L4 in the UK will fetch between £750 and £1000. I've got a L4A3 in mint condition and a L4A2 conversion to L4A4, Ex Falklands Defence force, and a L4A4 which bypassed the L4A2 stage.

Theres no reason to avoid them because of the lined through markings, it just means that theyve seen further service. The Experimental 7.62mm Brens were marked in the format EX4E1 (Experimental L4A1) etc. and had red bands to denote 7.62mm because the .303 and 7.62 brens were in use simultaneously.

The last L4A4s to be retired from service were in 2008 I believe and they now reside at the S.A.S.C. at Warminster. These were found in a T.A. Unit in Wales.

Hope this of intrest.

ATB Chris.

Edited by Chris Hall
Change some info

Cheers for that, Chris. The one in the photo is in fact mine, badly photoshopped to avoid blinding everyone with my carpet pattern... As you say Chris it's an L4A3 converted from a Mk II Bren. The mystery perhaps is why there seem to be so few about, which is presumably why prices are higher than for standard Brens. Can't think why, given the relatively large number of SLRs and Sterlings around. Mike

Alot of the L4s were chopped at ABRO Donnington so theres not to many about. The versions on the market are mainly from other countries such as Singapore, New Zealand etc. There are some L4A3s which were sold by Interarms atfer refurb because the MOD gave them the refurb contract and then pulled out leaving IA to sell them off. Many went to the statesa and about a dozen or so were deactivated for the UK market.

Also, alot of the SLRs and sterlings on the market are also New Zealand, Singaporian or Australian guns. No British owned Sterlings have ever been sold off, theyre all in war reserve. (I was told that by Capt. Peter Laidler at the SASC collection at warminster)

Cheers, Chris.

Cheers for that, Chris. The one in the photo is in fact mine, badly photoshopped to avoid blinding everyone with my carpet pattern... As you say Chris it's an L4A3 converted from a Mk II Bren. The mystery perhaps is why there seem to be so few about, which is presumably why prices are higher than for standard Brens. Can't think why, given the relatively large number of SLRs and Sterlings around. Mike

Hi Mike, If you tell me the serial number barred out, and the new UE serial number, I maybe able to give some production info to you.

Cheers, Chris.

Cheers, Chris, interesting stuff. It's always seemed a little odd to me the idea of the British government selling off modern weapons, even as deacs. Now I guess most of the time they're not! The numbers on my LMG are UE66, the barred out number is (I think) RA2225 and the third number below it is A6976. Thanks again, Mike

about 5 years ago i was lucky enough to get a L4 bren gun, i think its a L4A6 but i'll check next time i'm home, then 2 years ago from ebay i got a vehicle mount for it wit a brass plate saying;

"MOUNT GUN 7.62 MM

(L4A4) No 4 MK1

ASSY. DRG. FV. 565525

SERIAL No 09EA28 EX'D"

(sorry got no close up pic i can upload at the mo of the plate) i'v seen 303 brens on ferrets but would 7.62 brens been on them too? the serial number looks to be a mv reg number to me

IMG_1633.jpg

SERIAL No 09EA28 EX'D"

(sorry got no close up pic i can upload at the mo of the plate) i'v seen 303 brens on ferrets but would 7.62 brens been on them too? the serial number looks to be a mv reg number to me

I'm pretty sure 09 EA 28 was/is a 432.

sounds good cheers mate, nice to have a link with the reg number, guessing the mount that held the mount (if ya know what i mean lol) would of been simular to that on a ferret? only guessing cos like i say they're the only vehicles i'v seen them on

Cheers, Chris, interesting stuff. It's always seemed a little odd to me the idea of the British government selling off modern weapons, even as deacs. Now I guess most of the time they're not! The numbers on my LMG are UE66, the barred out number is (I think) RA2225 and the third number below it is A6976. Thanks again, Mike

Hi Mike, I'll get back to you with some details, I can tell you it started life as a Monotype manufactured Mk2, converted to L4A3 in 1966 at Enfield.

Cheers, Chris.

about 5 years ago i was lucky enough to get a L4 bren gun, i think its a L4A6 but i'll check next time i'm home, then 2 years ago from ebay i got a vehicle mount for it wit a brass plate saying;

"MOUNT GUN 7.62 MM

(L4A4) No 4 MK1

ASSY. DRG. FV. 565525

SERIAL No 09EA28 EX'D"

Hi mate, The gun in the photo is a L4A4, it has body inserts in the sides which wont be found on the L4A6. The L4A6 is a L4A1 converted to L4A6 by isuing the gun with one single chrome lined barrel instead of the 2 non chrome barrels issued with the L4A1. Again, if you pass on the 2 serial numbers I can probably give you some other basic info.

ATB Chris.

Out of interest my 7.62 BREN gun is an (Enfield) model L4A4 & no.UE73A19840,any production info on it?

Hi Nick,

I'll get back to you with some info. Can you make out the original LB serial number? I can give you some info on the original production with that.

I can tell you now that this is one of the last L4A4s to be made, my own L4A4 is A19723s quite close to yours. Was yours deactivated by Mike Priest as its one of the numbers I have on my database already?

ATB Chris.