Green Archer Radar

Marmite!!

Why have you got one then?

The radar system itself was covered in EMER RADAR & FCE P030-P039. The trailer & chassis was in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U260/7-U269/7.

Try asking for copies from the vast EMER collection at http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/index.htm

I've got (somewhere !) close ups of a preserved one Neil Wedgebury had a decade or more ago.

Why have you got one then?

The radar system itself was covered in EMER RADAR & FCE P030-P039. The trailer & chassis was in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U260/7-U269/7.

Try asking for copies from the vast EMER collection at http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/index.htm

I've got (somewhere !) close ups of a preserved one Neil Wedgebury had a decade or more ago.

Hi Clive,

will have one soon :-) I will be going back down the REME Archives soon so those EMER numbers will come in handy, please post the photos if you come across them.. Just need to get a Pig to pull it with :roll:

Thanks

Lee

Hi Richard,

the photo didn't appear :?

Lee

Lee,

When I checked later I found it had not worked. I'm sure I have recently cracked it on how to submit a photo from My Documents, but now cannot seem to do it. Clicked on "insert image", but that did not help. :? I know originally you had to use photobucket or summat, but since the revamp I posted a pic, maybe the site has been altered again?

Richard

• 3 months later...

Lee, you never did get your picture. Was just ging through a 1966 RA Journal & found this:

GreenArcher01.jpg

Detail not too good I had to scan it at 96dpi. Above that dpi at certain viewing magnifications the moire effect gets bad esp where it is on the mesh on the paraboloid.

Edited by Marmite!!

• 12 years later...

Nigel trying to find anything in the series EMER RADAR & FCE is going to be a challenge, I have some but not in the range that covers your item. Best hope is REME Museum.

In any search best to be specific in the exact documents you what you want ie EMER RADAR & FCE P030-P039.& trailer & chassis in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES U260/7-U269/7. 

I do have these in EMER WV, I could do the odd page but it would be a mammoth to copy these :

U 260/7 Trailer, 1-Ton, 4W/2L (Mortar Locating & Generator Set ) FV2451.Data Summary. Jan.1964
U 262/7 Trailer, 1-Ton, 4W/2L (Mortar Locating & Generator Set ) FV2451. Technical Description. Jul.1966
U 263/7 Trailer, 1-Ton, 4W/2L (Mortar Locating & Generator Set ) FV2451. Unit Repairs.Jul.1966
U 264/7 Trailer, 1-Ton, 4W/2L (Mortar Locating & Generator Set ) FV2451. Field & Base Repairs. Sep.1966
U 267/7 Trailer, 1-Ton, 4W/2L (Mortar Locating & Generator Set ) FV2451. Spirit levels. Mod.Instr.No.2. Apr.1973
U 267/7 Trailer, 1-Ton, 4W/2L (Mortar Locating & Generator Set ) FV2451. Brake pipes & electrical cables. Mod.Instr.No.3. Oct.67
U 267/7 Trailer, 1-Ton, 4W/2L (Mortar Locating & Generator Set ) FV2451. Fitting 12-point jumper cable. Mod.Instr.No.5. Jan.1972
U 269/7 Trailer, 1-Ton, 4W/2L (Mortar Locating & Generator Set ) FV2451. Road springs. Misc.Instr.No.1. Mar.1965

• 1 year later...

I see this thread is 14 years old and I had tried to post a photo of a Green Archer without success.

Got it this time, this Green Archer was cosmetically restored by us at a REME Workshop for the Royal Artillery's museum at Woolwich, initially at the Rotunda, then it went in to their Firepower Museum. This was probably around 1991.

regards, Richard

Green Archer (2).jpg

Does look very neglected, any idea where the wheel stations are ?

Question ? on the rear wheel station flat area sits the operating scope, to the right hand side. Any idea what sits on the left ? its 20 inch by 12 inch to fit on a detachable special base.

If you look at Richard's posting above it sits on a plinth between two wheel stations which incorporae four levelling jacks.

I can't answer your second query, I did my trade training on this in either 1969 or 1970 at Arborfield, after that I never saw one again in all my 12 years of service.

I have attached a photo of one at Muckleborough, on the right is the silenced generator on the left what looks like a Ferret.

Green Archer at Muckleborough.jpg

Edited by buzzer999

interesting to see  in the period 81/ 90 i was a mortarman and these things or there equivalent were our nemesis we had to be able to fire pac up to shift 300m or so in under 3 minutes as that was the caulated time for a radar directed response and i think 2m from pull up  emplaced bubbled up and ready for a fire mission

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Battlefield radar was operated by Royal Artillery, Fort Nelson being an artillery collection.

Thanks for that Richard, I have not come across Fort Nelson before. I will put that on my list. I was in REME as a radar tech and apart from some time at 35 Central at Old Dalby spent a huge amount of time with the gunners.

That looks to be in very good condition. This is a process I have never seen. The one we did our trade training on in Arborfield was in a hanger and stood on its levelling jacks. I don't remember seeing the wheel stations, perhaps they were stored elsewhere.

There are 2 support hooks that tighten low down pulling the wheel station in and hold to the main structure. Also 2 support pivots 2 foot above with manual clamps. So by  unwinding the bottom hooks and releasing the top clamps the wheel station wont move till the support legs are wound down together. thus taking the weight of the radar platform and releasing the bottom hooks which pivot and release the wheels. A support bar 6 foot long needs sliding into the designated holes to give movement. Its a well balanced unit and the wheels move quite easy.

Its still a learning curve, voyage of discovery but very enjoyable.

The radar as a whole is in good condition, being released from the army to a museum but sat outside. It has come with 4 new in wooden boxes the dustbin sized operating electronic controls and lots of relays, some still labelled signed and dated 1975.

Its a lost era of our history, manufacturing, i believe the radar was accurate to 2 foot which in 1961 was great following a projectile 3" diameter and 8" long.