my new mk 1 carrier

eddy8men

keep asking round for us steve, with your contacts i was hoping you'd have got me 2 by now so that i had a spare :D as for being over optimistic on the restoration time frame i've always found it helps to set ridiculous targets for myself, that way even though i never reach them i'm never normally too far behind, so if that 1 month stretches to 3 months i'm still cooking on gas.

eddy

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For information while looking for something else I came across a note that Italian Gendarmerie -police special sucurity -whatever were still using T16s as late as 1979. I've seen ex Italian Sexton, Fox A/Cs and M8 A/Cs for sale by dealers in the late 1980s early 1990s but can't remember seeing any Italian marked T16s- so Italian scrap yards might still be a possible source- but not for steering assemblies.

Steve

hi fella's

right then, i have a small problem, i spoke to the seller and he told me the carrier was being loaded at new york today and would be at southampton on the 12th june, now therein lies the problem firstly i told the seller to ship it to liverpool and secondly i'll be in corfu getting married when it arrives and won't be back until 14th june so i'm stuffed does anyone have any ideas or experience with shipping these things as i'm not sure what's going on i haven't agreed any dates, the guy just shipped it and when i asked why southampton and not liverpool he told me it was $2k cheaper ? also i haven't seen any paper work for the import side and haven't paid for the shipping , this wasn't what i was expecting i thought i'd sign some paperwork pay for the shipping and that would be that so basically i've no idea what's going on. can someone shed some light on it for me and do i need any paperwork prepared beforehand to pick it up and if so is it worth getting an agent.

help !!!

eddy

hi john

thanks for the offer of transportation, i had a mental picture of my little carrier all on its own on the back of your het rig :D now that would be a definition of overkill

I was thinking more along the lines of one of Robert Walkers Brimec's or stepframes.

I am now dredging the back of my brain for info on this as I used to do the odd bit of foreign transaction when in the bank.

If he does or does not have your banking details then his bank can use a bank of their choice and send all the paperwork to their head office or local branch, this should have the bill of lading for the shipping company stating details of container contents, shipping line, departure and arrival dates of stated ship, and how all is to be paid, as he can ship it FOB (Free on Board) same thing as COD.

you will be asked to call at a bank branch of local head office to accept and sign the paperwork which will need to be taken to the Port shipping office as proof of ownership and pay their costs at that time.

Any Agent you appoint can pick up the goods provided they have the original Paperwork and funds to cover.

sorry I'm a bit rusty on this but it should work along these lines

Alan T

thanks alan

it all sounds a bit archaic and a little hit and miss but to be honest i quite like the idea of doing it the old school way, maybe we've got too used to everything in triplicate and forgotten what it is to simply trust in someone else, however having said that, a little heads up from the seller would have been nice.

i'll sleep a little easier tonight knowing what i do now

cheers eddy

ps. now i know how it's done this won't be the last :cool2:

Eddy it was done this way so that people who did not know each other or whether they can trust each other could still progress the transaction. BAnks have (or had) good reputations whichever country they are in so are good intermediaries. Paperwork should also include export license if required, unless they have gone over to e mail, but no one accepts a copy V5, so I suspect papers will be forthcoming.

Once you have the info then you can make arrangements for collection.

Alan

Eddy,

Great project you have going there, make sure to connect to the Carrier guys on Maple Leaf Up!

For information while looking for something else I came across a note that Italian Gendarmerie -police special sucurity -whatever were still using T16s as late as 1979. I've seen ex Italian Sexton, Fox A/Cs and M8 A/Cs for sale by dealers in the late 1980s early 1990s but can't remember seeing any Italian marked T16s- so Italian scrap yards might still be a possible source- but not for steering assemblies.

Steve,

Just read about the T16s in Italian service, interesting. First time I heard about it. Do you have any more info or pictures?

The only (major) sources of surviving T16s I know of are ex-British ones from Pounds Yard and ex-Swiss Army ones, mostly after they were sold to SECO in the US.

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Eddy8men

instead of looking at the local totty i find myself looking in the undergrowth for old mv's.( this hobby is warping my mind )

Your married- totty is verbotten- although many wives consider looking at old MVs nearly as bad:D

See if you can find some nice Marmon Herringtons and Scouts Cars.

Steve

the bad bit is it'll cost another £2500 for a 20 ft shipping container, although seeing as how the carrier is only 12 ft

Well done you Eddy.

Just check your price on the shipping. As it seems to me you are being quoted an FCL (Full Container Load) when you should be being charged the LCL price (Less Container Load).

If you get the LCL price then it will save you a lot of money. I am more than happy to put you in contact with my Freight Forwarders.....

thanks jack

to be honest i'm a little disappointed that the seller shipped the container before i could chuck anything else in it, but to be fair i should have explained my intentions earlier, being laid back and easy going is not the ideal way to go about international shipping, next time i'll get something written down at the beginning but you learn from your mistakes, when it's all done and dusted i'll start a thread on shipping and the lessons i've learned so the next guy can maybe avoid a few pitfalls.

this won't be my last import so if you could pass your freight forwarders detai's on i'd appreciate it.

cheers

eddy

Thanks Eddy and if I had known earlier I could of helped you :computerrage:

But no worries - you have bought it from a good source as I have done international business with John.

Good idea to write up about your experience - the good the bad and the ugly!

• 2 weeks later...

next time i do something like this i'll ask the forum members to help out before i try and do it alone but i'm a great believer in learning from mistakes (trouble is i never do) but it usually comes good in the end.

eddy

by the way i've got something else even bigger brewing that'll make the carrier look like a toy :cool2: