my new mk 1 carrier

eddy8men

any leads on parts you can give me would be welcome and your thoughts on a dilema i'm facing with regard to authenticity versus practicality, ie :- do i put a flathead v8 petrol engine in or go for a ford deisel as a few wise old hands have suggested ?

pencil.png

2 more pics to follow

uc7-7.jpg

uc6-6.jpg

uc11-11.jpg

uc8-8.jpg

uc12-12.jpg

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any leads on parts you can give me would be welcome and your thoughts on a dilema i'm facing with regard to authenticity versus practicality, ie :- do i put a flathead v8 petrol engine in or go for a ford deisel as a few wise old hands have suggested ?[ATTACH=CONFIG]27260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27258[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27257[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27261[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27259[/ATTACH]

pencil.png

2 more pics to follow

Nice pics - as for the motor this will surely be known for evermore as the 'heliops dilemma' - whatever you do someone will probably moan so just be true to your own principles and you can't go far wrong..!

Cheers

that's it fella's, now you know as much about the condition of the carrier as me, i'm looking forward to getting my hands on it, already sorted out the blasting and priming and spoke to a guy today that told me i could have dabs on a good g/box when he remembers were he put it,as far as i can make out the steering shaft, bevel box and wheel are gonna be the tricky bits to find but to be honest i'm quite enjoying searching around for parts and meeting some great blokes along the way.

uc10-10.jpg

uc9-9.jpg

Looks like a good one Eddy. Compaired to what I saw today yours just needs a spit and polish! There were three as found Flathead V8 engines and ford gearboxes in touching distance, all were destined to be rebuilt for specific carriers so not one available for yours I'm afraid.... apparently they are not THAT hard to locate.

Edited by ajmac

that's it fella's, now you know as much about the condition of the carrier as me, i'm looking forward to getting my hands on it, already sorted out the blasting and priming and spoke to a guy today that told me i could have dabs on a good g/box when he remembers were he put it,as far as i can make out the steering shaft, bevel box and wheel are gonna be the tricky bits to find but to be honest i'm quite enjoying searching around for parts and meeting some great blokes along the way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27263[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27262[/ATTACH]

Thats half the fun meeting people, the MV world is a great place to be it beats sitting in front of the TV cutting you're throat watching Soaps.

Do steering wheels cross over into civvy street equivalents? Personally I would go down the road off seeing what comes up in regards to the engine be it a ford petrol or a diesel

Should you need any help with transportation once you get it back let me know, I also can recommend a very good local sandblaster in Marple. (Where I had the M578 done)

John.

He wanted to charge me £800 for blasting my Ferret it was cheaper to send it to Wigan and back. He shot both his feet off with that quote with me

thanks alistair

just to make you jealous i sat in a restored t16 today and i liked it, bit more room than a bren.

this engine conundrum is gonna vex me, deisel v petrol i might chuck a deisel in and tell everyone it's a flathead what do you think.

eddy

hi andy

i'll give you a shout when it arrives, come over and have a mooch, with regard to blasting i spoke to bob grundy on saturday and he reccomended a bloke called jack who works at his yard, (if you read this bob thanks for your time and advise,much appreciated and i hope you got the tiling done) i think he'll prime it for me as well, i can't remember the price but i thought it was very reasonable

Eddy,

With the amount of miles you are likely to do, I would stick to using a flathead V8, it will keep the authenticity and value up if and when you eventualy pass it on. No diesel will ever sound like one of the old Ford V8 engines and these run so smooth. Thats my thoughts for what they are worth. :-)

What a great project ! I am restoring (very slowly I might add) the Mk1 Scout Carrier here in Western Australia. I note the earlier posted comments regarding parts in Australia. Although the remains of a few universals have turned up in the Eastern states, there seems to be almost nothing over this side of the country.

As an example I have been searching for a CAV lighting and ignition swith box for two or three years and only recently obtained one - from the UK !

Good luck with your restoration

Cheers

Phill

I wouldn't even consider any other engine for a carrier. It has to be the Flathead V8. There is nothing like the sound of a flathead V8 under load. They're not THAT bad on gas either, if you really want something economical buy a toyota prius and paint it green. :cool2:

What he said!

Eddy, how could you even consider it......

I'm sure you didn't mean that....did you? I'd agree with upgrades to increase reliability and make it easier to live with, but it's got to be basically original. I'd upgrade to 12v, check out the possibility of using the existing Dynamo casing for an Alternator (I bet you can get those off the shelf in the US). A high torque starter motor may be a good investment. Oh I presume a Flathead has points so I wouldn't think twice about putting in a transister replecement - I hate Bast%%d points! It all depends on how original you want it to be. I am not averse to using metric fasteners and stainless where I fancy but a hell of a lot of people would go up the wall, especially some of my vintage vehicle friends. At the end of the day it's yours - do whatever you like, it's your democratic right:D

Edited by ajmac

I'm sure you didn't mean that....did you? I'd agree with upgrades to increase reliability and make it easier to live with, but it's got to be basically original. I'd upgrade to 12v, check out the possibility of using the existing Dynamo casing for an Alternator (I bet you can get those off the shelf in the US). A high torque starter motor may be a good investment. Oh I presume a Flathead has points so I wouldn't think twice about putting in a transister replecement - I hate Bast%%d points! It all depends on how original you want it to be. I am not averse to using metric fasteners and stainless where I fancy but a hell of a lot of people would go up the wall, especially some of my vintage vehicle friends. At the end of the day it's yours - do whatever you like, it's your democratic right:D

I thought we all wanted them to be as original as possible within reason. There is no need to use metric fasteners when the correct ones are available. Similarly 'modernising' the electrics is not necessary. If maintained properly, the original standard is perfectly adequate.

There are always compromises to be made, some enforced by the modern world but in terms of restoration, surely original is best and something we should all aim for?

As you say, it is the owners right to do whatever they want.

Original is best -everything fits together without un necessary modification, however it depends on whats available, if for example you are having to sit around for a motor to turn up it might be an idea to fit a modern motor as a temporary fix- however its almost certain that start a conversion and a flathead will turn up. remember the important thing is to have fun

Steve

In terms of economics I'd consider doing an LPG conversion on an UC, it would be removable with no determent to the vehicle and while fitted a 90 litre tank would easily fit in one of the compartments either side of the engine, could easily be disguised to look like luggage. However you would only ever bother if you were intending to do a hell of a lot of miles.... in a UC you would have to be unhinged:-)

ajmac

.........and while fitted a 90 litre tank would easily fit in one of the compartments either side of the engine, could easily be disguised to look like luggage.

If it's a Universal the tank could always be disguised as Wasp conversion.

Also you were correctin saying that T16 were used by the Canadians in Europe, as additions to normal Universal inventory for towing in place of the Loyd carrier and for 3inch mortar and radio carriers, I believe the British used them as Loyd replacements from round the time of the Rhine crossing.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

hi fella's

i thought i might catch out a few ranters with the bit about no nails and caulk, i'll have to be more subtle next time. let's not worry about the engine for now it's the steering i want to sort out as that's the one bit i think i'll struggle on and i'd like to have all the big bits together and ready to go on when it arrives in the uk, my goal is to get it running and driving within a month so i can get a bit of fun out of it and then do what i'd consider as a rolling restoration, so any leads on steering assemblies ? any carriers on the ranges that i might get the range officer to part with :cool2: have a think for me, i'm sure between all the people that read and post on this forum that there are parts for just about every vehicle ever built, someone will have it.

cheers eddy

Hi Eddy

I've never seen even a trace of a Universal -or any other carrier for that matter on a range, the only one that ever popped up was a prototype Cavalry carrier on Porton Down many years ago and it has disappeared.

There were some near falingbostel -ex German Border Police but they were scrapped in the 1990s.

Universals are to light to survive on ranges and were too easily scrapped an too easy to convert to civilian uses -probably what saved yours it has all the appearance of a forestry skidder.

I'm sure there will be steering assemblies knocking around somewhere.

Steve

hi fella's

i thought i might catch out a few ranters with the bit about no nails and caulk, i'll have to be more subtle next time. let's not worry about the engine for now it's the steering i want to sort out as that's the one bit i think i'll struggle on and i'd like to have all the big bits together and ready to go on when it arrives in the uk, my goal is to get it running and driving within a month so i can get a bit of fun out of it and then do what i'd consider as a rolling restoration, so any leads on steering assemblies ? any carriers on the ranges that i might get the range officer to part with :cool2: have a think for me, i'm sure between all the people that read and post on this forum that there are parts for just about every vehicle ever built, someone will have it.

cheers eddy

Running and driving in a month I like you're optimism! Lol

Have you put an ad on Milweb asking for bits? If you put it on Milweb I think the ad is eventually listed in Classic Military Vehicle.