my new mk 1 carrier

eddy8men

hi fella's

now, there's a few people out there that knew i was interested/obsessed with getting some ww2 armour off one of our ranges and i'd like to say that dream hasn't died or been replaced by the carrier it's just that i'm a little impatient and didn't want to wait any longer so i've cheated and bought something and besides i'll need it to get me around the impact area :D

i decided to take the plunge and go for what i believe was a good carrier in restorable condition and i'm hoping that when i open that shipping container i won't be disappionted.i bought the carrier on monday from a chap called john at midwest military in minnesota for the asking price of £5500 which seemed fair enough,the bad bit is it'll cost another £2500 for a 20 ft shipping container, although seeing as how the carrier is only 12 ft i might be able to squeeze a few more bits in there like an m3 half track or a couple more carriers but i won't tell the other half just yet, as that would ruin the surprise for her when we open the container at liverpool docks.:shocked:

so now we come to the inevitable begging for parts plea for those of you gracious enough take pitty on a first timer,i'm gonna need an engine, box ,rad,oil cooler and steering wheel with bevel box, the rest i'll get from halfords :-) my priority is to get the thing going and start enjoying it as soon as possible, the restoration proper can wait til stuff comes up.

if anyone is intersted in helping me restore and display the carrier then let me know, my intention is for it to be displayed at every oportunity, whether i am there personally or not isn't important getting a bit of armour "out there" is my goal so you would be welcome to take the carrier to display on your own (just bring it back again), i don't know how the idea will pan out but i'd like to try it, maybe we could get a group of like minded guys together, we'll see.

here's the link to the carrier any help or observations are welcome, this is my first go at this so i'm going to need a bit of advise and help so don't be shy whatever you can offer in the way of help will be much appreciated.

http://www.midwestmil.com/brenmk1sale.html (no pics now, only a little write up)

cheers eddy

Edited by eddy8men

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddy

George Sanders owns a Universal carrier he might be worth having a word with even if its only to have a look at how things look inside, his yard is in Urmston.

I haven't got a better picture. The first time I went to his yard he said have a wander about wow absolutely all sorts in his yard but what really impressed me was his attitude about looking around the yard.

Don't rush it parts will naturally come to you if you wait long enough usually at a cheaper price than when you rush

Edited by ferrettkitt

hi andy

nice one, i hadn't realised that anybody else would have a carrier and be so nearby if he's ok with me having a good look round it would go a long way to help me restore mine. books and advice is great but there's nothing like getting your hands on something for getting to grips with it.

many thanks

eddy

Eddy, you kept that quite. Plenty of work ahead, but hey isn't the restoration the most rewarding part? Make sure you utilize the Restoration section, lots of photos. What's the betting that when you are up to your neck in rust and crud you may put the Range recovery option on the back burner:cool2: OR it will make you all the more keen!

hi fella's

thanks for the heads up on the mlu but i'm already a member, infact it was on mlu that i saw the carrier advertised for sale

alistair i think you may be right when you say i might have to put the range stuff on the back burner at least for a while as i'm not sure where i can find the time to restore the carrier and carry on with the other stuff, we'll see what happens.

cheers eddy

hi eddy, i bought the last carrier john had for sale, its worth buying all the repro parts he does and have them put in the carrier to save the shipping costs, if you dont you will regret it later. i would have bought it myself if the armour was uncut. drop me a line if you like at kevinpowles@btinternet.com always interested in trading parts. good luck kevin.

hi fella's

kevin we'll have to get together for a chat, i had the same idea reference parts, i was also going to see if i could get another vehicle/carrier parts in there, trouble is i got an email from john at midwest military saying he had already shipped the container, bit strange that as i asked him for help finding the major assemblies. i didn't even get to buy any panels from him, i've a feeling he might of got wind of my plan to chuck some more gear in the container and thought sod that. maybe i should have kept schtum about it.

anyway the pics of the carrier arrived via email as well and now that you all know that i need to source all the missing components from the uk i am appealing to all the carrier parts horders out there to take pity on a poor working lad from manchester :D i'll post the pics tommorrow when i figure out how to change the format to put them on the forum but basically as i mentioned before i need the engine and rad

cheers fella's

eddy

Eddy,

I was offered that track and axle along with a Bren Carrier lower hull last week, I 'think' it's from Shaun on MLU - a real mine of Carrier information.

PS. Start a Restoration thread right now: we can follow it in real time. I'm in two minds at the moment as to T16 or UC, you steer a T16 with tillers (as you know), maybe the closest I'll get to heavier Second Word War Allied armour. Trouble is we didn't use them during the war so it would have to be restored to represent Canadian service in 44-45.... I'll have to work on the accent!

Edited by ajmac

hi alistair

i like the t16, it's a better thought out machine than the bren so i say get it if you can, but don't rush it, if it feels right don't hesitate to buy it but if it's borderline then keep looking for a bit longer, i'm glad i didn't go for those 2 t16's from saracen exports as they were really poor and i ended up with the mk 1 from midwest military, if i was you i'd start waving some cash at the aussies and canadians and see what happens, i'd reckon on 2 bad' uns or 1 good one for $10k and then another £2.5k to get it shipped over. if i can find a valentine chassis out there i'll go halfs on the shipping with you :D.

i'll get a resto thread going when the container gets to liverpool

eddy

Ajmac

Trouble is we didn't use them during the war so it would have to be restored to represent Canadian service in 44-45.... I'll have to work on the accent!

I'm not too sure that they were used by the Canadians and not by British in ETO although some use within UK in late 1944-45 Some use in India and by Australia before end of hostilities but probably not in combat as is sometimes mentioned in publications.

The Canadian Windsor is probably the big UC seen in use by the Canadians -from Oct 1944, a windsor is like a TI6 but with a leading arm on the rear bogie and of course warp steering. And what do you mean, Canadians don't have an accent

Steve

Edited by steveo578

hi fella's

can't get the pics of the carrier on the forum, i think it's because the format is wrong as they are bitmap and might not be supported by the forum software but i'm a right spaz when it comes to technology although i've not struggled before, if no one can come up with an idea on how to load them i'll get my techno mate to sort it but might take a while.

all the best

eddy

Eddy,

I went to see Martyn this evening, that guy has done some serious work on the two carriers he has restored from wrecks, I've nothing but admiration. You've got a lot of work ahead of you, the hot riviting should be fun. The Mk2 that I saw had had every rivit replaced.... rather him than me!

Edited by ajmac

hi fella's

using my almost legendary mastery of technology i figured out a way to change the format of my carrier pictures so they would upload onto the forum :- i got the other half to do it :D

hi

more pics on other posts, 12 in total

uc1-1.jpg

uc2-2.jpg

uc5-5.jpg

uc4-4.jpg

hi fella's

using my almost legendary mastery of technology i figured out a way to change the format of my carrier pictures so they would upload onto the forum :- i got the other half to do it :D

hi [ATTACH=CONFIG]27253[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27254[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27255[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27254[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27256[/ATTACH]

more pics on other posts, 12 in total

Should you need any help with transportation once you get it back let me know, I also can recommend a very good local sandblaster in Marple. (Where I had the M578 done)

John.