Original Aluminium Vehicle Data Plates (Saracan/Saladin)

brandone

Question

What are the chances of obtaining some original aluminium data plates for a Saracan and a Saladin?

Am I being way too optimistic or would there be any advice of where to hunt some down?

Any idea for 'top and bottom' prices that might be expected for these?

Nothing on ebay either.

All advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

5 answers to this question

The easy solution is to make your own!

If you borrow one of each, take them to a small aluminium foundry who can copy them for you, perhaps with the CO2 sand process. Of course, the mould will also pick up the vehicle numbers stamped into the borrowed plates but if these are scraped off before casting, you end up with a plain plate. Paint it black then a quick sanding/filing or linishing to polish up the numbers and letters, a set of stamps to put in your own numbers and hey presto.

The downside is that it will be easy to spot if you ever put it side by side with an original as your casting will lose a bit of definition but once screwed to the vehicle, it is ok. Second problem is that hot aluminium shrinks when it cools so replacement plate will be a tiny bit smaller. You need to remove the details of the corner holes and redrill to suit the mountings.

Some schools used to do small castings as part of metalwork (now called materials technology or something?) but H&S may have put a stop to that.

What are the chances of obtaining some original aluminium data plates for a Saracan and a Saladin?

Am I being way too optimistic or would there be any advice of where to hunt some down?

Any idea for 'top and bottom' prices that might be expected for these?

Nothing on ebay either.

All advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I've only just spotted this whilst breakfast browsing and it rang a bell that might be helpful. There are a number of Saracens and one Saladin on a firing range close to where I live. They are in various states of repair due to their use as hard targets for a good few years but some are in reasonable nick (particularly the Saladin) - although access is restricted to the site for obvious reasons, I do work there so could pop out and have a look for you - whereabouts on the vehicle are the plates in question located?

Don't suppose there are any Ferrets there at all? I'm trying to compile a list of hull number against Military Registrations and both are shown on the data plates. Also if any of you chaps have any ferret data plates in your possession I would really appreciate seeing a photo of them for my list.

Cheers

Matt

I've only just spotted this whilst breakfast browsing and it rang a bell that might be helpful. There are a number of Saracens and one Saladin on a firing range close to where I live. They are in various states of repair due to their use as hard targets for a good few years but some are in reasonable nick (particularly the Saladin) - although access is restricted to the site for obvious reasons, I do work there so could pop out and have a look for you - whereabouts on the vehicle are the plates in question located?