R Cubed's 105 M2-A1 Howitzer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get hold of the end threaded part of the hydraulic recoil ram which bolts through the end of the sledge. Its about 4" long and has a thread of 1 1/8" x 12 this should be part of the end of the hydraulic ram rod, will also need a full nut and a castle nut to go on the outside with a split pin through the hole. But was gas axed off in the de-comissioning of the gun, this needs to be fixed so barrel will slide if needs be :cool2: I am looking in to getting the ram re thredded all though it will then be about 4" shorter, but that should only be a problem if you are going to fire a live round and full charge :shocked: I wont be doing that !!!!!!

IMG_5226r.jpg

• 1 month later...
Wanted pics of the 105mm howitzer hand spike, what the end is like, and what the shaft is made of.

If you still need measurements on the handspike, I lucked into one (along with a few other 105 goodies) the other day. I can take whatever measurements you need.

2010_0314howitzerc10001.jpg

You sure have a great scrap yard over there...........

Is the hand spike all steel or just the tip with a wooden handle ?

Could you pm me all the measurements for the hand spike and also dimensions for both ends of the cleaning rod and overall length of rod so I can machine up some for my gun.

Looks like you have a good firing pin assy, looking at live firing your beastie :nut:

If you still need measurements on the handspike, I lucked into one (along with a few other 105 goodies) the other day. I can take whatever measurements you need.

2010_0314howitzerc10001.jpg

The hand spike is all steel, and has the ordnance number on the end cap. In the photo you can see a wad of black tape 3/4 of the way up the handle.....it is an add on so the gunners don't let the spike slip through their hands would be my guess.

I'll PM you those dimensions, but it will have to wait a week. I am just getting ready to head off to Cuba and escape these frigid -24 temperatures that have shown up in the last few days.

Note that the ends of the cleaning rod are cast bronze. I am hoping to find one more female end so I can make up the longer cleaning rod that i am missing.

Here is a link to a place in the US that has the newest version of the M101 cleaning rods for sale reasonably priced:http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-Serspeniuk/Detail.bok?no=63 . According to the last US checklist for the M101A1, the howitzer would be issued 3 of these. They will not fit into the clamps on the trail mind you. I was talking with an artillery WO the other day, and he mentioned that they would not use the storage brackets on the trails anyway, because it just resulted in lost kit.

Edited by cmpman

No rush for the dimensions, thanks for all the help.

The hand spike is all steel, and has the ordnance number on the end cap. In the photo you can see a wad of black tape 3/4 of the way up the handle.....it is an add on so the gunners don't let the spike slip through their hands would be my guess.

I'll PM you those dimensions, but it will have to wait a week. I am just getting ready to head off to Cuba and escape these frigid -24 temperatures that have shown up in the last few days.

Note that the ends of the cleaning rod are cast bronze. I am hoping to find one more female end so I can make up the longer cleaning rod that i am missing.

Here is a link to a place in the US that has the newest version of the M101 cleaning rods for sale reasonably priced:http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-Serspeniuk/Detail.bok?no=63 . According to the last US checklist for the M101A1, the howitzer would be issued 3 of these. They will not fit into the clamps on the trail mind you. I was talking with an artillery WO the other day, and he mentioned that they would not use the storage brackets on the trails anyway, because it just resulted in lost kit.

Help me I am confused :nut:

I am doing some research into the gun sights and mounts, now I have a book which refers to the M4 mount as a Range Quadrant and has a Range Drum on one of the control knobs also I have seen it referred to as a Fire Control Quadrant which does not have the Range Drum.

Which is the right one and what are the differences between them :undecided:

Can anyone help before I go mad........

Thanks Rob, started cleaning all the paint off the M4 mount and under all that paint was a nice little id plate with yup you guessed it M4-A1 on it so you were right.

Do you have a pic of the M4-A1 so I can see what the knobs and dials are like ?

Also managed to get one of the bubble housings out. This is more difficult than you think looking at the brass end plugs they look like they just unscrew, NO THEY DON'T you have to REMOVE A FLUSH STEEL PIN FIRST which passes through the bronze housing and the brass plug, once this was off the housing and cover came straight out. Managed to straighten up the bubble housing pretty well too, enjoy.

Dont get caught out by these pins they are there, also there are also tiny slotted grub screws on some too.

BEWARE AND CLEAN ROUND ALL THE PLUGS ECT AND LOOK VERY CLOSELY.

The front piece slides over the rear piece and can be rotated round to cover the bubble window in the rear piece.

The rear piece should hold the bubble but with the decommissioning of these guns these get smashed and the tubes crushed I have been lucky and looks like I can save a couple of them, only need 2 for the M4A1 and 2 for the M21A1.

IMG_5304r.jpg

IMG_5339r.jpg

Edited by R Cubed

Started cleaning up the M23 Elbow telescope mount to be able to get the adjusting shaft out.

View from rear of mount you can see the broken shaft.

After a bit of cleaning up you can see a sneaky little grub screw.......

Here is a better pic of the little beasty, you need to undo this a bit to be able to unscrew the bush round the top of the shaft.

IMG_5336r.jpg

IMG_5310r.jpg

IMG_5337r.jpg

IMG_5338r.jpg

I think the tape bit you are referring to looks like it lines up with the clamp bracket on the gun trail I think the clamp might have been a little loose on the metal shaft of the hand spike and so they wrapped some tape round it to grip it better.

If you find some cleaning rod ends for yourself could you have a look and see if you could get me a set only need the ends can get the dowel here :red: cheers.

Both the sight mounts on my 105 were badly damaged as well, some asshole with a big hammer went to town on them !

They took some work to put them right again.

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Did your gun come from Greece like most of them ?

How did you get on heating the bent bronze bits did straighten up ok ?

• 2 weeks later...
I think the tape bit you are referring to looks like it lines up with the clamp bracket on the gun trail I think the clamp might have been a little loose on the metal shaft of the hand spike and so they wrapped some tape round it to grip it better.

If you find some cleaning rod ends for yourself could you have a look and see if you could get me a set only need the ends can get the dowel here :red: cheers.

I had a look at it again and it looks like you are partly right re the tape. It is actually situated between the trail bracket and socket, and would prevent the spike from working loose and falling off and getting lost. Those clever herbies.

I see there has been a run of the M21A1 mounts on ebay this last week or so. I picked one up myself. They appear to be brand new other than they are missing the cross levelling mechanisms on them. The first one sold for a nice low price of under $300. I was off to Cuba on holidays and missed that one, but I talked to the seller and he put another on with a buy it now price which I jumped at. The seller still has at least one more, possibly a couple, but has listed it at a much higher price now. If anyone finds they have a spare cross levelling assembly please give me a shout.

As well, I see someone has listed some of the artillery level vials, although there are no part numbers to confirm what the first one might fit. Maybe you could use some of these to restore your damaged ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Replacement-Level-Glass-Vials-1-5-x-410-US-Military-Howitzer-Type-L1-/200704776326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebaefd886

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOWITZER-VIAL-LEVEL-TYPE-L-US-MILITARY-FREE-SHIPPING-/250788179028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6423ec54