Bren bag holder 1938 - thompson smg bag

I have this canvas bag/holder and was told it was for a Bren gun, then i was told it was for a Thompson SMG. its dated 1938 made by MECo. 3 feet 1 inch long and 9 inchs wide at the top end. Any one know which one it is .

Edited by Morris C8
more info

• 3 weeks later...
So far no one knows if it is a bren or thompson gun holder.

Hello ! As i collect the bren beasties i can assure you that said bag is for bren gun.......It is part of the earlier issue kit for the gun that appear to have never really been issued, at least not in huge numbers.

It is the slip cover for keeping the gun clean when being pack hauled by mules (i have copy of the page showing the layout) or possibly the cavalry as well. The slip appears to be the only web item in the mule set as the rest is either bespoke made leather or the Lewis leather ammunition panniers modified by having the internal dividers ripped out.

Due to time and storage they do not fit the Mk1 bren very well at all anymore, as you probably know the webbing tends to shrink.

Well made bits of kit and it shows that they were thinking about all the different uses even during the developement stages. The guns were only just comming on line by the end of 37.

Hope this helps

Tim

I have seen these bags before, and I believe they are for a Bren gun. The Thompson was not used by the British until 1940, so the 1938 date suggests Bren. The first purchase of Thompsons by the British was in February 1940.

I have seen these bags before, and I believe they are for a Bren gun. The Thompson was not used by the British until 1940, so the 1938 date suggests Bren. The first purchase of Thompsons by the British was in February 1940.

if you want to part with it, i'm yr man..