Ferret Turret

MiketheBike

Go to the local hire shop and rent a gantry crane or have a look round and see if anyone near you has a forklift that you can appropriate for 1/2 hour or so with driver. I wouldn't want to lift a Ferret turret with a normal engine lifter it isn't stable enough at the height that you will have to lift the turret to.

I don't suppose there is anyone in the Woking area that has a crane (or hoist), that could help with getting the turret on my ferret?

Mick

You could order a bag of sand or ballast from the builders merchant, and when the lorry driver swings the bags over the fence, slip him a fiver to lift the turret on ;)

You could order a bag of sand or ballast from the builders merchant, and when the lorry driver swings the bags over the fence, slip him a fiver to lift the turret on ;)

Richard, I like the way you think. This line of reasoning has served me well over the years.

Bob

Mick,

I fitted a Turret to my Ferret with a standard 2 Ton wheeled engine Crane.

I used three short as poss chains to a shackle. The rear one will be longer that the two side chains.

It will NOT reach right over the top of the fighting compartment though. What I did was lay two thick broom handles on top over the opening. (Acts as Rollers) Lower the Turret onto the handles, & Lever the Turret over a couple of inches at a time with a Shovel. The handles WILL take the weight of the Turret because it's suported underneath with the periphery of the fighting compartment.

as you lever it over, lower the chain a little each time to allow it to go over. You will get to the point where it is 3/4's over the opening. release the shackle from the crane & continue levering it over. when positioned correctly, lift one side of the Turret base a little with the shovel & remove one handle at at time.

It WILL drop into the recess correctly. Align the mounting bolt holes with a bar & put the bolts, washers & nuts on. BEFORE doing ANY of this. DONT forget to put your sealant all round the mounting ledge! I used mastic, it sprays over nicely afterwards! I Fitted my Turret all by Myself. Be aware at all times, the Turret is a HEAVY object!!

Mike.

Thanks Guys...

Richard, I know where you are coming from, we had a skip delivered the other week but I missed him when he came to collect the skip...could have used the lifter on the back of his lorry :(

Mike,

I have refurb'ed the turret ring, so may try fitting that first (I will used some mastic tape I got from a chandlers). Would you say attach the ring to turret first, or would it be just as easy mounting the ring first, then mount the turret?

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

Not quite a Littlefield operation but...

I just installed my turret a few months ago. Used an engine crane, with a tractor draw bar (as a spreader) and three short chains/snap hooks. Remove the side bin in order make room to roll the engine crane into the side of the Ferret. Worked like a charm and very stable once lifted.

I did all required work including assembly prior to fitting. Much easier to do it that way then once installed I figured and minimized any mess in the Ferret.

Hope the photos help.

Cheers

11.22.09 001..jpg

11.23.09 001..jpg

12.03.09 006..jpg

12.03.09 005..jpg

12.03.09 008..jpg

12.03.09 009..jpg

12.05.09 007..jpg

Thanks Guys...

Richard, I know where you are coming from, we had a skip delivered the other week but I missed him when he came to collect the skip...could have used the lifter on the back of his lorry :(

Mike,

I have refurb'ed the turret ring, so may try fitting that first (I will used some mastic tape I got from a chandlers). Would you say attach the ring to turret first, or would it be just as easy mounting the ring first, then mount the turret?

Cheers

Mick

MUCH easier to fit the WHOLE assembly as one piece.

Mike

Remember when the turret is on you need to turn it through thirteen rotations to the right to secure it.

Well on my first day in Omagh they told me that if I turned it to the left thirteen times it would come off ...