matchless g3l

ford 369

I have just made a start on getting my g3l usable hopefully in time for A and E and have found a rebuild plate in the toolbox dated 1952 and giving a reg number of 57 YA 55 does anybody know if it is possible to gain any history using this number

thanks,Nigel

There is a Matchless/AJS/ Norton meeting again this year down at Firepower on Sunday 4th July. The owners club last came down in sept 2007, cordonned of number 1 street and had a short circuit and the place echoed to crackling sounds of SAmmy Miller and Colin Seeley running Porcupines and 9R racers up and down smell of hot oil and clutches, didnt please all the residents but no bad behaviour and they unveiled a plaque on the site of the old AMC building just outside the site. Sadly not a lot of military bikes on show then, perhaps this time can be different.

AMC 9-9-2007 172..jpg

AMC 9-9-2007 015..jpg

AMC 9-9-2007 038..jpg

AMC 9-9-2007 171..jpg

AMC 9-9-2007 031..jpg

AMC 9-9-2007 035..jpg

AMC 9-9-2007 173..jpg

Edited by alan turner (RIP)
missed a nit out

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 Matchless G3,s with similar post war numbers. there was a major motorcycle overhaul programme at this time...both bikes have the brass plates.

I applied 2 years ago to the "new " records archive at Bordon i think....complete with fee...but to no avail....it seems no motorcycle info was ever retained. or recoverable (yet ?)

The owners club last came down in sept 2007, cordonned of number 1 street and had a short circuit and the place echoed to crackling sounds of SAmmy Miller and Colin Seeley running Porcupines and 9R racers up and down smell of hot oil and clutches,

Hi Alan,

Only just spotted this post, I saw the Porcupine photo, I have a distant cousin who was a works rider for AJS and Matchless around 1950-52 and he raced one of the Porcupines.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I am catching up on my reading, so I've only just spotted this thread.

My advice would be to contact the AJS/Matchless owners club, specifically the dating officer, with engine / gearbox numbers, as a first stage. That might! give you some directions for further questions.

Whether the MOD / public record office (Kew) would have anything useful, someoune else might have an idea?

(Actually I started off my Britsh m/c riding on the pillion of one of these!)