Identification and Information required!

LucyBlack

Hello Everyone!

Firstly, let me apologise for registering purely to ask some questions! I'm currently studying some military vehicles as part of my course in engineering, and I'm after some information on one of them and was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me.

As part of my course I have been examining the construction, performance and specs of a selection of vehicles. Most of these I have been readily able to find information about, with the exception of this:

Embarrassingly I don't actually really know what it is! My Lecturer has told me it's a "Claymore Tactica" But I am struggling to find any information whatsoever about it, which leads me to think that it is infact something else. The closest match I've found is an Alvis Tactica, but while the cockpit looks similar, externally it's quite different.

Can anyone here tell me what it actually is? And if so, when it would have seen service? I'd love to find some more information about it's specification too (Engine type and size etc).

Many thanks!

LBpencil.png

IMG_2955..JPG

IMG_2965..JPG

Hi Lucy,

Looks like an Alvis Tactica with bigger wheels to me. Perhaps it's a later version. I have the Tactica manuals, which for a military vehicle are quite poor. I can tell you it has a Perkins 180Ti but other than how to use it and a lubrication diagram that's about it.

Chris

Great, i've since found a bit of information in Jane's Armour and Artillery about them. Apparently there was a choice of engines, one of which was the Merc 906 Diesel engine, which makes sense as that is what is fitted to the vehicle above.

Cheers for the information again!

• 2 years later...

I know it’s an old thread, but if anyone is still interested, I think that this vehicle was a prototype made by Glover Webb just before they were closed down.

It was based on the existing Tactica vehicle, but I believe that this one was produced with Rockwell independent suspension rather than the leaf spring arrangement fitted to the standard product.

A quick look underneath should establish that.

Alvis did offer this vehicle, but I’m not sure if the independent suspension was ever introduced into production vehicles. I don't know if BAE have continued the range

HI LUCY

I remember the TACTICA it came to LECONFIELD in the late 1990s 4 arrived two painted green and 2 painted white they were given to the EOD team for trials they were to go against IRON EAGLE and ACORN vehicles all were sent up to Otterburn for cross country trials. I have found some spare copies of the sales brochures which says they was a choice of 4 diesel engines and 8 role types, if you would like a brochure please pm me with contact details.

Regards

Wally

• 2 months later...

it is definitely the IS version of the Glover Tactica.

Construction is typical of the Tactica models.

Glass by Romag

Armour by Sleemans.

If you can find the SG number of the nameplate some more info could be found.

• 5 years later...
On 1/23/2013 at 1:38 PM, wally dugan said:

HI LUCY

I remember the TACTICA it came to LECONFIELD in the late 1990s 4 arrived two painted green and 2 painted white they were given to the EOD team for trials they were to go against IRON EAGLE and ACORN vehicles all were sent up to Otterburn for cross country trials. I have found some spare copies of the sales brochures which says they was a choice of 4 diesel engines and 8 role types, if you would like a brochure please pm me with contact details.

Regards

Wally

Hi Wally 

Have you still got the Brochures? 

I would love to get a copy as I’m looking to buy the Alvis Acorn and restore it. 

Regards 

Tom 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/22/2013 at 4:59 PM, Ian_H said:

I know it’s an old thread, but if anyone is still interested, I think that this vehicle was a prototype made by Glover Webb just before they were closed down.

It was based on the existing Tactica vehicle, but I believe that this one was produced with Rockwell independent suspension rather than the leaf spring arrangement fitted to the standard product.

A quick look underneath should establish that.

Alvis did offer this vehicle, but I’m not sure if the independent suspension was ever introduced into production vehicles. I don't know if BAE have continued the range

Ian_H, id love to chat to you about some of the GW vehicles of the 90's. I now own this Tactica and the GW PAnther (MRCV) that was built in the 90's if you had any more info.