Greetings from New York USA

jimk

Hello all,

Steve asked me to step up and say something. I figured if a picture is worth 1000 words I'd create an album and get started with 13,000. The pictures are mostly self explanatory. All vehicles are currently owned.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?albumid=274

The 5 ton is a 72' AM General M813A1 retired from Iraq. It has the Cummings NHC 250 (855 cu inch). I have added a turbo, winch and supersingle 14:00x20's.

The 69' V-100 (aka M706) was returned from Vietnam. It was last used as a movie prop for 92' film Freejack. It is street legal (the engine and transmission are currently out) , 65mph, and amphibious. I plan to restore it to 69' trim.

The Stalwart is a 71' REME Fitters FV624. Serial STAL-II-876

The Deuce and half is a 71' AM General M35A2. I have added power steering, the turbo, stack muffler, pyrometer, coolant filter...

The 28 cylinder R4360-63A is out of an Air Force C124 Gloabmaster II. Built in mid to late 50's it is rated at 3800hp at 2700 rpm (~7400lb*ft torque). Fuel consumption at rated power is about 400 gallons/hour. The plan is for dynamic display.

Jim

Edited by jimk

Welcome to the Friendly Forum, Jim. You have an interesting collection there with lots for us to learn about. The Stalwart looks like it's getting put to good use, which is great. The V100 is definitely an uncommon MV to see. We'd be interested to know what plans you have for her.

Best wishes,

Mark

Thanks all,

MichelK-the blue paint was done for the film(s). There is OD semigloss under it (US Army)

Mark- The V came with a truck load of parts, many NOS. The last 3 years have been spent chasing down the few missing parts and fabricating stuff like the turret basket and interior tunnel panels. I hope to have it media blasted this year. If that happens I will paint it too. I have a NOS engine and transmission. I also have new vision blocks and new run flat tires. An interesting upgrade will be a Rockwell air locking differential rear axle. The part is a factory refurbished assembly for the M621 Norwegian deuce and half's.

Edited by jimk

Welcome Jim,

Loved the pictures of the stolly, the captions were very funny. Really liked the shot of the roof trusses being rigged into place, nice to see it earning its keep.

Im just above you, so to speak, in Ontario Canada near Kingston. You should pop up some time.

Robin

My friend Dave actually made the wry comment to tow it to Roth (the local scrap yard). Hard to hear that after the 1200mile transport. Here are 2 more pictures. The trusses are 48' wide and there are 5 rigged at this time. The other picture is after lifting the wall. Thanks for the invite, though I seem to be a bit of a recluse these days. Jim

5 at a time.jpg

Image-052.jpg

Welcome Jimk, love that 4360, my step-dad used to crew C-124s 'old shakey'. Does 'dynamic display' mean you're planning to run it?

Yes. It looks like a big job though the engine is mostly complete. The current task is making an engine stand. I will need to find a starter and fabricate an oil and fuel supply. Here is a grainy picture showing the back side where the supercharger housing can be seen. There is a magnesium injection carb on top. Fuel is injected into the plenum as well as to outlets inside the supercharger impeller. The water/alcohol injection system can be seen the side. This lubrication diagram give some idea of the engineering that went into these. I should add that 26 of the cylinder lube pathways are omitted for clarity. Jim

Resize of 04fc_1_sbl.jpg

4360oil.jpg

Edited by jimk

• 2 years later...

Hi Jim!

I know this is an old thread, but I have a quick question for you about your Stalwart.

The vehicle width of the Stolly is 103", but the max legal width in NY (and WA where I am) is 102". What did you do to get around this? I ask because I'm interested buying a Stolly I found locally, but don't want to jump through legal hoops to drive it around town.

Thanks!

~Chad

Hi there and welcome to the forum, you certainly have some nice bits of kit there ! I have just two military vehicles a 1941 Chevrolet G-7107 cargo and a 1943 Ford GPW. Always fancied a stolly but the wife is not so keen :laugh: Best Wishes. David

• 7 months later...

Greetings all,

I thought a few here might enjoy photos of my 1969 V100 project. Figure the album is lower profile than a thread. Some photos are resent, some old, some are before I got it when it was being used as a movie/tv prop. For details hold cursor over photo...

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?do=editpictures&albumid=715

Also, the thread for my 4360 engine project. Nothing new. Sadly, I was unable to find time to paint stand this year. Installing the engine w/Stalwart should make for a interesting photo next spring.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38657-Pratt-amp-Whitney-R-4360&p=373229#post373229