Bofors 37mm anti tank gun

Another cracker Rob, well done! So that's 25mm, 37mm, 6pdr, 17pdr..... just need to fill that gap in the Middle!

Lol.........................:-D well its been located but this one is a tough egg to crack ! if I can get a complete Gun I will have a lovely live Barrel and ring to sell on but for now I will have to make do with bits ! :cry:

Rob.............rnixartillery.

Chris,

If you believe what you read on the net it mentions that the Anglo-Sudanese contract that ended up coming to Britain was made up from Swedish built Guns ,you mentioned in an earlier thread that yours was polish built.

The one I have is a Danish gun and I am beginning to suspect that the contract was fulfilled by any guns that were available at the time to make up the numbers.

I have pictures of my gun taken many years ago when it was in its original paint which was a dirty sand colour,the chap I bought it from gave me a jar with sand in that he cleaned out of the suspension units when he cleaned and repainted it.

I have also studied old photo's and read that in some cases the seat pans were removed when the guns were used in the portee role to allow more space for stores and ammunition .The gun I have has not got the seat pans fitted and as far as I know has not had them fitted !

Rob.................rnixartillery.

Bofors%2037mm_%20002_.jpg

Kubel%20&%2037mm%20(4).jpg

Hi Rob

do you have any picturs of danish stamping on it ?

cheers

Niels

Pics attached Niels,sorry there not great. I am looking for any bits for this gun so if you come across any please let me know,particularly wanting the wooden cleaning stave that's located on the back of the shield.

Cheers

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

DSCF1896.jpg

DSCF1897.jpg

Chris,

If you believe what you read on the net it mentions that the Anglo-Sudanese contract that ended up coming to Britain was made up from Swedish built Guns ,you mentioned in an earlier thread that yours was polish built.

The one I have is a Danish gun and I am beginning to suspect that the contract was fulfilled by any guns that were available at the time to make up the numbers.

I have pictures of my gun taken many years ago when it was in its original paint which was a dirty sand colour,the chap I bought it from gave me a jar with sand in that he cleaned out of the suspension units when he cleaned and repainted it.

I have also studied old photo's and read that in some cases the seat pans were removed when the guns were used in the portee role to allow more space for stores and ammunition .The gun I have has not got the seat pans fitted and as far as I know has not had them fitted !

Rob.................rnixartillery.

Hi Rob, yes mine is 100% Polish built it still has the makers stampings on it.

Mine also has a British data plate on as well.

The wheels on mine are solid dished also with no holes cut in them like yours have.

The tyres on mine also have a different tread pattern on them.

If you want to I can unbolt my seat pans and you could get some copied up.

Commander

Hi Rob, yes mine is 100% Polish built it still has the makers stampings on it.

Mine also has a British data plate on as well.

The wheels on mine are solid dished also with no holes cut in them like yours have.

The tyres on mine also have a different tread pattern on them.

If you want to I can unbolt my seat pans and you could get some copied up.

Commander

Thanks for the offer Chris but I am going to do some more research first,if the pans were removed for the portee role I am happy to leave it as is.Do you have the Gun layers arm paddle by any chance ? this is the arm that is fixed to the saddle and runs parallel with the barrel so the gun layer can lean on it.

Also is the ID plate on you gun pressed or cast ?

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Here is one in Danish service the 9th of april 1940

The same gun a little later after being run over by a German armoured vehicle, it had knock out two vehicles and de-tracked a tank before it was overrun. The gun still exist in a museum.

In German service in 1944 in Denmark.

Water crossing during training with the Danish brigade in Sweden

and some in Danish service in 1945, this one arrived with the Danish brigade from Sweden, just after the liberation

The Danish brigade war issued with Swedish equipment and vehicles and brought with them a small number of the 37mm Bofors guns

What year is the gun, because I find it hard to belive that a Danish gun schould have ended up in British service, because as fare as I can find the danish guns where build in Denmark under lincens at Danish state arsenal Hærens Vaabenarsenal.

The pictures are all from the Museum of Danish Resistance's archives http://erez.natmus.dk/FHMbilleder/Site/

06G6100015.jpg

02A3201003.jpg

57-14A6200040.jpg

02A3201004.jpg

1214090.jpg

1215141.Jpg

1209079.jpg

Edited by Niels v

• 9 years later...

So, is there any list of which guns fought where?  For instance, a list of LRDG guns by serial No. or which guns went to the Spanish Federalists.  There were few enough made, and certainly few enough survive that they deserve to have their own history if it's findable.

I'm trying to decide between a 37MM Bofors (converted to 50DTC for legal reasons) or a Lahti L/39 (same).  The Bofors has a bigger wow factor, but is kinda silly in such a tiny chambering where the Lahti is at least sort-of manageable and might even cycle in 50.