Gunk!

Jack

Was just thinking about Gunk, as I have just bought a tin of it as I plan to Gunk my engine as I have pulled the front end today ( pictures to follow in US section) and thought that whilst I was there I would clean the engine etc etc. Years ago I used to use washing powder and hot water and it was quite effective.

Do you guys have any recipes for de greasing your engine and is there a better product on the market than Gunk?

Cheers

Jack.

The front end is now in bits as I started by taking the brush grill of the decided to take all of the side panels and wings of as well. Thought that while I was there it would make sense to get them rubbed down :shock:

Just waiting on a bearing puller so I can pull the pulley :? fair bit of slack in it :(

I like Gunk, but i prefer the aerosol version for ease of use, and laziness, all though it is more expensive. the new foaming version looks like shaving foam but is particurlarly effective.

There's some other stuff called Tertoclean that is available in aerosol form. it does the same job but with a different, equally pungent smell, and is very effective. I think its a bit cheaper too.

It's also good for cleaning K&N filters that have become clogged with engine oil, although its very harsh and can only be done two or three times in the life of the filter.

Just waiting on a bearing puller so I can pull the pulley:? fair bit of slack in it :(

There’s two threaded holes in the pulley which go all the way thro' providing you put a couple of heavy pieces of metal between the back of the pulley and the timing cover you can use the bolts, turned 1/2 a turn alternately, to push the pulley off.

Don't forget you have to drop the sump if you need to take that timing cover off. It’s a bu**ger.

Rex has [had?] pulleys, and Loktite has Bearing Fit. This will take up quite an amount of wear. Anaerobic.

Just waiting on a bearing puller so I can pull the pulley:? fair bit of slack in it :(

There’s two threaded holes in the pulley which go all the way thro' providing you put a couple of heavy pieces of metal between the back of the pulley and the timing cover you can use the bolts, turned 1/2 a turn alternately, to push the pulley off.

So I can just use normal bolts?