Gun stand, any ideas?

gritineye

Thanks chaps, it was chucked out with a load of other equipment when the Sea Cadets vacated their premises, most of it was skipped and gone before the local fishermen noticed what was happening, they had a good rummage through after that and got some useful stuff.

It's not mine but it is up for grabs, offers invited.

I would love this for my display how much would you be looking for?

Blimey! Googled Enfield Rest and one sold for £3,000 in '97 :shocked:

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Aim_teaching_devices.htm#Enfield_Rest

I think this may be a lesser version in their range though, sorry but more research needed I reckon, watch this space.

Edited by gritineye
incorrect link

Thanks chaps, it was chucked out with a load of other equipment when the Sea Cadets vacated their premises, most of it was skipped and gone before the local fishermen noticed what was happening, they had a good rummage through after that and got some useful stuff.

It's not mine but it is up for grabs, offers invited.

What a shame. These places do turn up the odd gem. I never find them, though. I leave it to jammy buggers like my pal 'George Formby' in Kendal. Turned out nice again, in't it! Nuff said. We are running the forum tonight - so come and get your cakes from the staff room.

MB :D

What a shame. These places do turn up the odd gem. I never find them, though. I leave it to jammy buggers like my pal 'George Formby' in Kendal. Turned out nice again, in't it! Nuff said. We are running the forum tonight - so come and get your cakes from the staff room.

MB :D

Bit worried about what's in those cakes young Barns, how many have you scoffed so far? :-D

gritineye

................Blimey! Googled Enfield Rest and one sold for £3,000 in '97 :shocked:

The item sold for £3000 is a different piece of kit, there are probably a good number of the stand shown lying around in disused corners of cadet force huts and training depots around the country although the need for them in the ACF and CCF sea cadets was greatly reduced after the withdrawal of sighting discs in the mid 1960s and then DP (deacivation) of the bolt action rifle stock during the 1970s.

Steve

The item sold for £3000 is a different piece of kit, there are probably a good number of the stand shown lying around in disused corners of cadet force huts and training depots around the country although the need for them in the ACF and CCF sea cadets was greatly reduced after the withdrawal of sighting discs in the mid 1960s and then DP (deacivation) of the bolt action rifle stock during the 1970s.

Steve

Yes, sorry Steve, my strange sense of humor there, I did say I think this may be a lesser version in their range because the owner told me the cadets had mentioned Enfield when chucking it out, this may be just a generic name for the type though.

You are probably right there are more about somewhere, I am talking normal realistic value here, any how highest offer wins it, if anyone's interested, bid or PM me if you prefer.

I am not going to argue with other people's recognition of it as a rifle stand, but I have to comment that it reminds me of a standalone AA mount for an LMG that we used on Salisbury Plain in 1977. Command Troop 15/19H went out to have a shoot at drones. As driver of OC B Sqn, he decided he wanted to watch and had me drive him out there, then he wangled us a cabby.

As I recall, they had been there all day (it was mid-afternoon) and they only managed to hit a drone while I was watching. The drone operator was not impressed: it had run out of fuel and was gliding in.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife could see it from the lounge window......................... you know how they can say certain things without moving a muscle or making a sound, it'll be the same when I put the free Reliant Robin on the lawn tomorrow...:kissoncheek: