Austin Champ RRF 887G

David Herbert

Does anyone know if Austin Champ RRF 887G still exists ? It was my first car, bought for scrap in 1974ish for £60 and driven home illegally, sorted out and used as day to day transport for a couple of years and then sold in reasionable but not restored condition. At that time I lived in Maidenhead, Berks.

I have no idea of its serial or army nos. but it was a FFW with a two speed generator. I don't even have a photo of it !

I used to commute weekly from Maidenhead to Sandbach in Cheshire (120m) and back and it never failed me but you could never describe the brakes as good ! It did 16 mpg regardless of road conditions but petrol was 25p/gallon then = 5.4p/lr ! Mind you I was only earning £21 / week after tax. I never found it a roof so it got a bit cold in winter but I was tougher then.

I was very fond of it so if anyone knows of it please respond.

Thanks, David

Thanks very much for looking guys, I suspect that it died and was used to make one out of two. I had already found that not having the army reg nomber or the chassis no. ment that the Champ register could not help but I hoped that it might still be arround.

Thanks again

David

• 3 years later...

Hi David,

I have found your Champ yesterday. Its in a field looking pretty sorry for itself and covered in brambles. Usable for spares with engine etc. There is another one there in a worse condition. I took a couple of pictures if you are still interested. Only found you and HMVF by putting reg number in Google...amazing! Give me a shout if you are still interested in it.

Cheers

Graham

Graham,

I'm sorry to be slow to see your posts. Well done! As Adrian said, I have fond memories of what was my first car which I bought almost exactly 40 years ago now. The amazing thing is that when I bought it it looked rather similar to how it does now ! It had had a hard top built onto it which had helped the interior to survive but was covered in green mould and had no brakes.

It had been bought by a garage business with the intention of converting it into a tow truck (common on land rovers then) but they realised that it was not a good plan and it had just grown into the environment till I parted with £60 for it. I got it running and drove it home, still with no brakes (no, I wouldn't do that now). After a couple of weeks of fiddling I got it sorted and MOTd and used it as my personal transport for two years before selling it in Maidenhead to a guy who broke the passenger side windscreen glass with his head when I showed him how fast it would go over a level crossing during my sales pitch. The resulting concussion seemed to help negotiations so it went out of my life.

I have no urge to buy it back but I would love someone to bring it back to life. If anyone does take it on I still have one very small part of it which I will give you.

David

Edited by David Herbert

selling it in Maidenhead to a guy who broke the passenger side windscreen glass with his head when I showed him how fast it would go over a level crossing during my sales pitch. The resulting concussion seemed to help negotiations so it went out of my life.

David

That's even funnier the second time of hearing it!:-D

• 2 months later...
Hi Adrian,

Just finding my way around how this site works. I only took a couple of pics of the Champ and they should be attached here!

Cheers

Graham

I remember that Champ. My old mum, who's now in her 80's still tells the story of how DH and I were heading out to some horse trial in that thing in the pissing rain with a French exchange student (Olivier Blaise) sitting in the back in his Burberry raincoat and umbrella. When David turned the ignition key the battery under the driver's seat exploded, and Olivier shot out of the back seat like a cork out of a bottle!

I also recollect an attempt to cross the Thames in it at a secret Roman "ford", which turned out to not be there, to the endless amusement of the patrons in the pub garden. Perhaps there were a few pints of scrumpy involved in that one.

She also found this old picture and mailed it to me. Anyone recognize those two good looking studs in the stripped-down Bedford MW?

Steve Barnes

image.jpg

Edited by Chopa