Man portable radio set

Yep A41 Larkspur was the main 70s VHF manpack. The A40 was a smaller section/Platoon VHF set as well but the better one with loads of gadgets attached (Morse key, dipole antenna etc) was the A13 -this was replaced by the clansman 320 in the 80s.

Gary

Yep A41 Larkspur was the main 70s VHF manpack. The A40 was a smaller section/Platoon VHF set as well but the better one with loads of gadgets attached (Morse key, dipole antenna etc) was the A13 -this was replaced by the clansman 320 in the 80s.

Gary

The last Larkspur-based Royal Armoured Corps Control Signaller AFV Class 1 course at Bovington took place in the summer of 1978 (I was on it). Memory suggests that in 3 Armd Div we replaced Larkspur with Clansman late in 1979 ready for the 1980 exercise season culminating in Ex Spearpoint / Crusader 80. My understanding has always been that Clansman was rolled out division by division and that 1 Armd Div got theirs a short time before we did.

A41 was replaced by UK/PRC351/2 (the 351 and the 352 were the same beast, the 351 being converted to a 352 by the insertion of an RF amplifier between the set and the battery).

• 1 month later...
Hey all

Iam looking for the man portable set suitable for mid 1970's what were they and where can I get my greedy hands on one.....working or not :cool2:

Hi here is the A41 radio lent me to photo. Would not want to carry it far!

Hope it helps. Andy

2010-05-09 Larkspur (3).jpg

Ah fond memories (NOT) of the A41. Not forgetting the spare battery (big waxed outer box) We used to ditch the Murphy Carrier and put radio and ancils into our A Frame bergans as we couldn't jump with that carrier unless it was all wrapped up in a canvas sheet.

Ist IA if it didn't work was the 2 foot drop test. You also needed to pack some cardboard behind the battery to ensure a good tight connection at the plug

The earphones were rubber and gave you a damp ear (you only wore one on the ear the other behind it or else you never heard a thing except constant 'mush' (now known as white noise) from the set

45lbs all up, if memory serves me correct, and you had an SMG instead of SLR if you were carrying a radio

Gary