WC51 brake light.

elvis3006

my WC51 has a post war Norweigan brake light mod just above the tail light. i noticed today when i was behind the truck unloading kit all the while with the engine and service lights on,that the brake light went on by itself. i went back to the cab and depressed the brake pedal and when i removed pressure the brake light went off. what could cause the light to go on without pressure on the brake pedal?:wow:

Most likley is the switch is sticking. It screws into the brake line just in front of the sterring box. Dear Dodge, why did you put the barake master and switch in such a stupid place? Work it a few times with someone behind and see if it operates properly. Check the pedal return and make sure the adjustment hasn't moved as well. The return spring may be weak. Clean up the brake mechanism, may just be sticking with dirt.

i checked the brake pedal arm,it does not hit the engine support when released and the return spring seems to be ok. i did however find one of the two wires coming out of the switch above the brake line tee was frayed. could this be the cause of the brake lights turning on by themselves? sorry the pic is not the best.

007..jpg

Edited by elvis3006

• 2 weeks later...

I would make sure you have toe board clearance. that is, make sure the pedal is returning fully, and that the push rod to the master cylinder has clearance. If you have any line pressure at all, due to the piston being held, it will activate the switch.