Afternoon Matador fans

Mattyboy

Greetings all thought I'd just say hello I'm Matt Foster I like anything mechanical esp if it's knackered and rusty.

Own A AEC Matador 0853 3479 which I purchased in 97 at 18 years old, heavily stripped and very rough; just a chassis, rear axle, winch, transfer box and a rotten cab really. Anyway took 10 years to restore, still got a fair bit to do. Couple of pictures, first as I found it, the next at its first rally and the last doing a recovery of a broken down steam wagon. Can post more pictures if anyone is interested.

Am no expert on matador's or MV, but picked up a bit a few ideas and knowledge along the way (normally the hard way)

I am involved in CNC machining for a living, aerospace F1 etc all dull, but handy for machining up bits and bobs.

I'm lucky because the Girlfriend loves Matador's too and I have two pet ducks and love donkeys.

I can't spell very well so apologies for all my future posts!

recovery 2.jpg

matador_08533479_6190matt_.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

Ex Fensom's Friars wash, Timber Hauliers then Foster at Billericay. Was H4489669 then 99 YY 24. Has it been re-registered 3479 was TBH 330E? Albert Fensom tried to sell me the (very bent) jib of that one! Picture of it in Matador Gallery.

Edited by antarmike

Hi Mike,

All that sounds about right, I brought it of Albert in 1997 and am very greatfull for all those bits you sold me many years ago. Was interested to see your picture of the matador you broke for spares, as that is where my engine, springs, hubs and many other bits and bobs ccame from. Did use to have the TBH 330E plate on the front, but history tells us that it might have worn a few different identities. Didn't see the picture of it in the matador gallery, must look harder.. anyway would be interested if anyone else had any more history on it.

regards

Matt

Hi Mike,

All that sounds about right, I brought it of Albert in 1997 and am very greatfull for all those bits you sold me many years ago. Was interested to see your picture of the matador you broke for spares, as that is where my engine, springs, hubs and many other bits and bobs ccame from. Did use to have the TBH 330E plate on the front, but history tells us that it might have worn a few different identities. Didn't see the picture of it in the matador gallery, must look harder.. anyway would be interested if anyone else had any more history on it.

regards

Matt

31-03-2008214255.jpg

Here she is! I thought she was a scrapper when I saw her, but She is looking good now though

Edited by antarmike

Good job done indeed. Has it still got a jib on it? I should think it struggles a bit with that low loader (unless its running something more potent under the bonnet!), do you take it out and about with that lot on the back?

Regards

Ed

didn't struggle at all it came to about 25 tons, so we thought we'd put a bit more weight on it..... another Matador, pushed and pulled at the same time. Amazing what these old things can do. The load is not mine, just a bit of fun at a rally one afternoon

Thanks for everyones kind words, shall at some point put some pictures and words together in the restoration section.

DSC00060.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have see Matt restore this old motor over severel years, his worked his tits off getting it to the state its in which is a real credit to him.

Many a time he left the yard shouting and swearing when things had goen wrong but he always came back the next day or weekend and sorted it.

( Dont be fooled by the earlier pictures as Just to make him feel good I "pretended" my sentinel had broken down and asked him to tow me back to our yard).

Well done Matt, nice done.

Jim S

• 11 months later...