Crossley RFC Tender

Charawacky

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a few problems with the RFC Crossleys

Staff Car now running well correct electric 1914 starter now fitted and working.

Changed oil in rear axle only to find 6 teeth missing from drive pinion, this was fitted some time before I acquired it and from the evidence I can see the axle had not been removed as is required to mesh the gears correctly, axle now removed and new crown wheel and pinion will be ready to fit in about a week to try to get to Elvington.

Problems only become apparent through use!

Tender Rear n/s broken brake shoes replaced with ones lent by a fellow tender owner.

New ones now cast to be machined this winter

Engine was knocking so decided to investigate

No 2 big end white metal broken up

Re metalled and machined then scraped which took over 1/2 a day

Replaced filtration gauze in sump which had a hole in it.

Inspected all valves 3 & 4 exhaust burnt out

Used surplus valves from staff car engine rebuild, however stems 2" to short (difference between 20/25 & 25/30) so cut stems off burnt out valves and welded to staff car valves.

All works OK, but but still noisy so full engine rebuild looms next winter, caterpillar valves look to be a possibility.

Look forward to seeing all who can make it to the L2B and of course the Dennis and crew!

Tom

Here is a picture from Shuttleworth last year

credit Krzysztof Marek Wlodarczyk

5380203629_d2bedd09c8_z.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Gosh Tom, you are having your fair share! Why do these things always become apparent just before a major outing? We only do this for fun and I am finding it more stressful than work! We are really looking forward to meeting you and seeing the Crossley so we all wish you every success.

Brighton should be a good 'do' as I understand that as well as the Crossley and the Dennis, there should also be present an FWD, the Locomobile 3-tonner and the Pierce Arrow. If we all get there, it should be the biggest gathering of Great War Transport in over sixty years.

Fingers are crossed!

Steve :laugh:

To my mind the most desirable vehicle on the London to Brighton run, well done.

Only just managed to get this short clip, because you where so fast my camera (and my brain) couldn't boot up quick enough!

Something went wrong...

I know, it was nice to see the three trucks. Especially as the Crossley looked like she had been out working. Sounded great and ran well, but a bit of dust and the slightly worn look fits a military vehicle.

crossley.jpg

Edited by Tony B

Brighton should be a good 'do' as I understand that as well as the Crossley and the Dennis, there should also be present an FWD, the Locomobile 3-tonner and the Pierce Arrow. If we all get there, it should be the biggest gathering of Great War Transport in over sixty years.

Here are photos of the Crossley, Locomobile and Pierce Arrow passing through Handcross today. Did not see the FWD unless it was very late.

HVCS Run 2011 022.jpg

HVCS Run 2011 011.jpg

HVCS Run 2011 010.jpg

Here are photos of the Crossley, Locomobile and Pierce Arrow passing through Handcross today. Did not see the FWD unless it was very late.

The FWD was the first past us at Clayton, around 9.30 ish, didn't manage to get any video though.

The FWD was the first to leave C.P. at 5.50 a.m. and the first to arrive at Brighton at about 10.a.m. Graham, the owner had problems with his first two attempts at the "Brighton" in previous years and was determined to complete it this year. He rolled the FWD off his Transporter, bump started it and really then just kept going until he got to Brighton! No problems this time. Well done, Graham!

We followed the Crossley in my Dodge WC11 panel van, and does it go ! we chased it down the A23 past the pylons, I was doing 50 mph and had a job to catch it !!

I didn't post the rest of this clip here before (keeping it Crossley) but here it is, looks like he's pulling away from you Nick!

Something went wrong...

Thanks for your video and comments,

The reality is you don't need brakes when you are in front!:-D

Had it been raining it would have been a different story, my progress would have been much, much slower, due to minimum contact area beaded edge tyres at 100psi, rear brakes only and minimum weight on the rear!

It was a great event and congratulations to the Dennis contingent who deserve all the recognition they have received and would have won the military class if I had been judging.

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

The Need for Speed!

Here is a significant historical reference to Tenders at speed, showing they were built to speed!

The Ballad Of Michael Collins

Mick Collins he cursed as soldiers curse

And he drank as soldiers drink,

And he fought the fight that soldiers fight

And then he sat down to think, think, think,

And then he sat down to think.

Now where are you going, Mick Collins? they said,

Now where are you going? said they.

I am going to Cork to settle this war

That is leading this country astray, -stray -stray,

That is leading this country astray.

Then take a convoy of lorries, they said,

And a Crossley-tender so fast

And a scout to search for Republican men

Who will ambush you as you go past, past, past,

Who will ambush you as you go past.

A scout and a lorry behind

And a Crossley-tender between

They sheltered him safely to Cork it is true

But returning they weren't any screen, screen, screen,

But returning they weren't any screen, screen, screen.

There were six men waiting at Beál-na-Blath

Well furnished with rifles and lead

Oh who is the officer fallen and pale?

'Tis Mick Collins that no one wished dead, dead, dead,

'Tis Mick Collins that no one wished dead, dead, dead.

They took him up and carried him home

And he lies in a Soldier's plot,

And men who fought each other deplore

The hour that Mick Collins was shot, shot, shot,

The hour that Mick Collins was shot.

Written By Donagh McDonagh 1912-68

Edited by Charawacky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...