Crossley RFC Tender

Charawacky

Elvington wings and wheels 2010

Here is a rough log of the journey to Elvington.

Departed Gisburn Saturday 0900

Managed to get about 1 mile from home then spluttered to a stop, fortunately on a gradient (no electric start and will not start on the handle) , disconnected fuel tap from pipe and pushed up a bit of wire to clear tap.

Bumped started and away

2 miles further along just made it to another gradient and stripped carb having borrowed a pair of pliers from a nearby house to remove jet, bumped started ok.

Made a further 4 miles and turned round to face a slight down hill on a lay-by on the opposite carriagway.

Kept engine running whilst completely removing fuel tap from tank, cleaning out congealed solder from tap whilst stopping fuel from escaping from tank with my finger and allowing a little fuel through to keep engine running! Then replaced tap without too much loss of fuel on to flywheel and exhaust pipe!

Rejoined road to continue journey to Elvington.

Stopped for fuel at Pool, engine stopped whilst in pay booth, convinced two bikers to give me a push and away again.

Water pump now leaking badly.

Successfully made York missed a turning (no navigator) and travelled 4 miles wrong way until I saw some MVs going in other direction only to follow and find out they service MVs not going to this event but took me to a signed junction to Elvington.

Made it to the show site Saturday.

Rear right brake now making a strange noise so decided to reset hand braking compensator for even pull on both drums.

Late afternoon the Crossley joined the road run of 25 miles which at one point had no hedges and a series of switch backs which gave an excellent view of other MVs travelling at speed.

The Crossley was now making a squeaking noise as it had done a few days before when the fault was traced to a UJ within the torque tube which was cured by having the correct oil level in the gearbox.

The road run half way halt was a disused airstrip so the opportunity was taken to add oil to the gearbox without reference to the oil level plug due to time constraints.

The foot brake now became ineffective as the gearbox oil level was too high and was flooding the transmission (foot) brake.

The squeak remained and was investigated on return to base.

Excess oil drained from gearbox.

Run to Elvington Fuel Station to fill the 4 gallon dash mounted tank, hand brake had to be freed off manually as it was found the rear nearside drum brake actuator was not returning correctly

On return to base purchased and jury rigged a bungee strap to assist in return of lever.

Water had lost cooling water at an alarming rate of 1 gallon on the 25 miles road run, running out of thread on pump gland adjustment nut.

No spare gland material so scrounged some hemp just in case I needed something to get me home.

Had an excellent night in good company and slept in the back of the Crossley, drank to much and found it to be quite a drop from the tail gate to the ground when emptying my clog 3 times during the night.

Sunday was a good day:

Highlight which made it all worth it – Crossley Tender Awarded Best in Show

Departed for home, elected to take the same relatively flat route through Harewood, Otley and Skipton

Travelled down the A64 behind a 6 wheeler MV at about 40 mph, (estimated by doubling the engine oil pressure reading, the only gauge I have)

Turned off at Tadcaster, oil pressure now fluctuating on right hand turns indicating low level

Stopped just after crossing the A1 to add oil to sump, not very successful as the engine had to be kept running and a portion as spit back into the cooling fan airflow and at me.

Much water added and pump gland tightened again

Transmission problem could be felt, the Tender would now not roll under it’s own weight and a squeak could be heard.

Decided to add oil to the back axle in case rear UJ located inside the Torque tube was not being lubricated.

Purchased Fuel and oil for axle from Pool service station again engine kept running, oil added to rear axle.

Water replenished

Engine now sounds different

Pulled off at Otley to investigate engine, problem could not be found, but the Tender would not roll under its own weight until it was driven a little, passer-by invited the Crossley to a meeting at Howarth next weekend, declined due to tender teething troubles!

Coming out of Ilkley engine struggles to set tender off from lights.

Pulled off onto a minor road, forward motion is now difficult.

Very loud backfire reports coming from exhaust

Getting a little worried so sat for a while to think.

Chocked the wheel and found the offside brake drum lever is now being actuated by the bungee on the nearside lever back through the compensator!

Slackened bungee.

Found a bolt had come been lost from the exhaust allowing air in to create the backfires.

Replenished cooling with water

Travelled with confidence to Skipton.

Pulled in at the same Lay-by where the fuel tap was cleaned to replenish water.

Drove home at speed daylight beginning to fade (no lights)

Parked in shed, closed door, had a bite and went to Bed.

After approx 200 mile round trip I am wiser and getting to know my Crossley.

This is they only way to find out the running problems short of a full rebuild and common sense is the only reference for a vehicle which is almost a singleton.

I had eventful, superb weekend and extend my thanks those who helped me and also the members of the YMVT for staging the event, I also thank God it did not rain.

Tom

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, that is a bit of an epic trip. You are a lot braver than we are! We are always loaded with tools and rarely venture more than five miles from home! Well done and I look forward to seeing it in the metal.

Steve

Thats a great adventure Tom. The sort of issues that we encounter every time we go out, although perhaps not all at the same time. Anyway, i am delighted that you had such a good time and thrilled for you to win such a prize. No stopping you now then? What event are you going to do next?

Tim

Going to do next, not an event until:

- sort out the problems

- waterpump is now rebuilt

- mag is also rebuilt both to be fitted tomorrow

- then rear brakes

Brave may be one word for it, other words do come to mind!

I had intended taking one of my lads but unfortunatley that was not possible on this trip.

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

A great story line and set of experiences. I like your method of judging the speed from reading the oil pressure gauge!

In many ways the trip would have been no different to a trip out in the vehicle in the late 1920's. The minor type of mechanical breakdowns tend to repeat themselves often accompanied by a new set of problems.

Least no punctures.

Keep up the experience reports.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Here are 2 Crossley Tender re-spoked wheels, they are not interchangeable!

The smaller one took 3 weeks full time to make and is complete with spinner and stub axle.

A 0.7mm tapping drill was used for the spoke nipples.

This work has been undertaken by a friend I hasten to add, I would not have the patience.

The complete truck will take many months.

I think it would be easier to build a full size tender!

Wheel 2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Gordon Bennett Trip Ireland 2010

Friend John and Terry came up from Bristol to accompany me on the journey to Ireland

At 5 am on Thursday Morning the 10th June the Tender was started by rolling out of the shed downhill on the farm drive

We then set off from Gisburn on the Lancashire Yorkshire border to travel the 65 miles to Liverpool Docks!

John followed in his modern Audi A6 car which was to be garaged at friends in Banks near Southport.

After a few miles the engine started to lose power intermittently until eventually progress was badly affected so pulled in to Huntleys Farm Shop Cafe opposite BAE Systems Samlesbury.

I determined the engine was only running on 2 cylinders, John quickly pointed out this would be the magneto as incorrect adjustment of points can lead to this condition; I was sceptical as the Bosch ZU4 had been rebuilt just the week before. In the event the points locknut had not been tightened up, we had no mag spanner so had to resort to hammer and screwdriver to fix it!

Full power restored, we quickly moved off to meet friend Clive & son with a their 28 Delage at the Samlesbury M6 service station.

The Tender’s 4 gallon Fuel tank was filled and the radiator was topped up as a small water pump leak was noticed.

Continuing on the A59 through Preston the tender hit all lights on green causing some problem for the two following cars which caught up some 10 miles later at Tarleton just in time to find out were the Audi was to be garaged!

Once arrived at the garage the water pump was found to be losing water at an alarming rate so the packing was changed resulting in scolded hands.

A little debate about how sensible it was to proceed to a foreign country with a vehicle in such a state, decided to press on anyway, we had a boat to catch and time was running out.

Travelled in company with Delage stopped at a garage and found only 5 litres had been lost in half an hour! Decided this would be manageable if the loss remained constant.

Arrived at P&O ferry terminal to be told by jobs-worth we could not embark because of fluid loss, he must have thought the water loss would sink the ship, explained the water leakage stopped when the engine stopped (and it did!) and John pointed out the loss was totally normal for a Crossley Tender. On this basis we were permitted through the dock gates.

The tender travelled over salt water successfully in good weather to Dublin Port without incident

During push starting John found insufficient foot traction to remain vertical with Crossley engine oil on deck , but did mop it up on his coat without breaking any bones, disembarked and passed Irish port control successfully, drip, drip, drip.

Thought to myself we would always find our way home if the engine was cooled by small white pebbles.

Travelled with ½ hour stops to refill with fluids onto Tullow where we were to share a Mount Wolseley Hotel lodge with Crossley register members.

Hotel mix-up with lodges, so we ended up in someone else’s lodge for Thursday night, all sorted out in the morning!

Friday 11th drove to Sheehy motors the Mercedes agency in Naas to sign-on the rally. Sheehys provided lunch and I met the chap who drove the Tender in the Michael Collins Film, another fellow volunteered some Crossley parts which we were to pick up on our return trip to the ferry. Some 200 pre-31 cars attended and there was much interest in the Crossley.

In the afternoon we visited the Curragh Defence forces Training Centre to view their collection. Unfortunately the RR armoured carARR2 was undergoing a refurbishment so was not seen. The official Curragh photographer asked for the Tender to be photographed in front of various buildings.

I met the son of the officer who saved the ARR2 by storing it out of sight from 1954 to 1983 without official sanction! Registered only as scrap

After many interesting stories and having replenished our water containers we departed for Tullow.

Saturday was the main day for the rally which consisted of a regularity run where we failed to be placed but had an enjoyable day with the Irish participants.

Adjusted brakes for wear

Saturday night was the presentation dinner very enjoyable with usual Irish banter

Sunday consisted of a short run to Carlow to view a automotive photo exhibition

Adjusted brakes for wear

In the afternoon we travelled to Dublin via Naas and experienced our first and only wet Irish weather.

Picked up a Tender windscreen and viewed a superb collection of steam engines, the owner had recently sold a complete WW1 Napier Truck.

Back in Dublin we had a photo opportunity at GPO then went for a Guinness before getting to the port.

Ferry crossing was fine

Monday , Liverpool docks the Tender did not want to leave ferry, the brakes were locked on, Clive’s Delage struggled to tow the tender off the ferry.

Found I could release the brake with a hammer, so every red light this had to be done all the way home.

Parted company with the Delage at Liverpool

On my own from Banks after John and Terry picked up the Audi

Short trip home feeling very confident with the Tender

Arrived Home OK

Cast iron Brake shoe (no lining) had broken in half due to excessive wear allowing shoe actuator to turn nearly vertical jamming brake on.

Trip 450 miles, Cruising speed 38 mph, flat out 45mph, fuel estimate 12 mpg , total water approx 40 gallons, rival to a steam car?

Number of times the pushers failed to start the engine because the ever popular driver overlooked the need for the ignition switch to be “ON” - FOUR

Very enjoyable trip in good company –where next?

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_0494Comp.JPG

IMG_0478Comp.JPG

IMG_0477Comp.jpg

IMG_0472Comp.JPG

IMG_0627Comp.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_0525Comp.JPG

IMG_0519Comp.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4113.JPG

Edited by Charawacky

sounds like you had a great trip and the weather not too bad this year round, being a local man the weekend of the gordan bennett brings some fantastis rare sights & sounds,well done and thanks for posting,,

one of the stores the lads in the curragh may have told you about the rolls royce a/c slievenamon was when michael collins was been driven around dublin in 1922 a shot hit the turret as they drove over a canal bridge collins turned to his then driver (paddy lynch) and said ""be jasus paddy they"ll get me yet"".

to bring out the irish sence of humor i entered you in the guinness book of records as the only british military crossley that done 450 miles in ireland without breaking an axle or getting shot at......

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments,

Just back from a 1400 mile trip in the 25 Bentley to the Le Mans Classic and the Tender has been to Kelsall Steam Fair in the mean time.

The Tender Brakes are original in design and are identical to those on the Crossley staff car. I will be specially casting 2 new sets after I have established the correct grade of material, looks like I will need to have the original material analysed as I cannot find any info on them.

I wish to retain the cast shoes as I like the original bacon slicer noise!

They are also very effective and are not permanently affected if oiled as happens with modern linings

A new water pump casting is currently being made which then I will machine.

By the way the Napier remains in Ireland; hopefully we will see it some time in the future.

I hope to have the water pump fixed for the centenary event of Crossley Motors Limited to be held at the Museum of science and industry in Manchester later in the year.

Here is a picture showing a Tender in Ireland apparently in use by Germans!

Tom

Tender in ford.jpg

I have recently purchased a copy of the BBC ‘’Wings’’ as recommended by Rlangham which I have enjoyed immensely.

The Tender used in the film would appear to be the one I currently have judging by the photo shown below which came with the Tender.

Tom

lintels e.jpg

raf.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

I can vouch for series one being very good indeed with even a cameo appearance from the 60hp Napier car. At one point, they even did the old school photo trick with the tender appearing in several places at once!

The airfield, hanger and Royal Aircraft Factory sets are all outstanding and I hadn't realised quite how good they were at the time. Mind you, I was only twelve when they were first shown!

Steve

Glad you like it, it's superb! I don't know if I mentioned but one of the BE2's is being restored to fly again - the engine was ran for the first time in a long while a week or so ago

http://www.biggles-biplane.com/

A Crossley staff car appears at some point, and the Napier re-appears in Season 2. There's also a lorry with solid wheels which i'm not sure is original or a replica which was also in 'Aces High', as well as at least one German staff car and a Renault-esque British staff car.

I was very impressed with the Royal Aircraft Factory set, be a shame if they removed it again after filming. Season 2 is a lot more action and less of the home front scenes

I apologise but can I hijack this thread for a little bit.:blush:

I am building a 1/35th model of a Free State Army Crossley Tender circa 1921-4 as a present for someone currently serving in the Irish Defence Force Cavalry Squadron.

I have a drawing from Irish archives and thanks to the members of this thread, a fair bit of photo references. However my trip to the RAF Museum at Hendon did not work out as intended and I appear to have no photo references for the instruments and controls, the rear undersides or the truck bed.

If any one has any pictures and would be kind enough to share them I would be very gratefull.

regards

Paddy