Crossley RFC Tender

Charawacky

Can anyone help with information on a Crossley Tender owned by JH Sparshatt & Sons

They certainly campaigned it on the London to Brighton in 1966, entry no 43

I am particularly interested in it's history up to and including Sparshatt ownership and who from this company may still be around to advise.

Please find below some pictures showing the tender today.

Tom

Tender resting in barn.jpg

Tender in the sunlight.jpg

Part Loaded.jpg

Ready for transport to new home.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am particularly interested in it's history up to and including Sparshatt ownership and who from this company may still be around to advise.

Tom,

Jack Sparshatt's company had a depot opposite where I worked in the early Seventies and I once saw a WW1 AEC drive out of there. They were Leyland, AEC main dealers. I think the company was taken over, but one of the family has dealerships in Kent with several depots, still called Sparshatts, might be worth contacting them.

Started watching the RFC drama 'Wings' again a couple of days back and aside from the metal hoops rising above the rear body, the one used is identical to this one. Is the body original or a post-war mod? The only one's i've seen in photographs show the body like the one at Hendon

I had the intention of building up a tender having purchased a gearbox and being offered a chassis, an engine, axles and new radiator. However before committing to this expenditure and long term project I decided to do some research including being allowed to inspect what is considered to be the most original tender in existence which had not been seen out for a decade.

When I visited to photograph I was informed it was for sale! As with these things one thing leads to another and I now have the tender in my possession.

On closer inspection after I got it home, I find the Tender has had very little use and the more I inspect it the better it gets, this is not always the case with new purchases!

The staff car is currently away being rewired and I have this weekend borrowed to copy the Crossley castings for mounting the correct starter motor which I also duplicate for the Tender. This will make the Tender more readily usable and so will get used and seen more.

Parts are shown below with Rotax starter motors and a picture looking back from the flywheel on a 1919 25/30 the motor is mounted underneath.

I am looking for a Rotax Starter with large pinion as the one on the left or a pinion assy to convert the right hand motor.

Tom

Starter parts.jpg

In situ.jpg

Thank you for all the positive comments which makes me feel justified in this acquisition and my intent to get it out and about.

A SE5A might a stretch too far; I don't think I would get it past the wife.

Have a look at these you tube clips I have put together (3 parts):

Regards

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

• 3 weeks later...

Photo Session sounds good,

Tender found to be running on 3 due to sticking valve on no 2 cylinder, now running on 4, everything on the tender has little wear but requires to be stripped freed off or resealed.

Tappets still to be set so very noisy! but running very cleanly.

See Youtube video:

Tender at Wheatle.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Thanks for the comments its nice to know the filming is appreciated as my 12 year old son risked taking the film (risking his life in the process :nut:) or did my other son really take a bigger risk by traveling with me?

Here is an interesting picture from the Hodge Collection (permission given for none profit use)

Tom

radio tender 1..jpg