Guy's Yard (Exeter)

Great War truck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys yard 6 and 7 now up on Jeffs vimeo page, I am having trouble buffering the last one and have only seen half but it looks to have a lot of vehicles we have not seen on previous movies.

Regards rog8811

cant seem to find number 7:confused:

I found this interesting photo at an "site under construction" http://militarytrucks.ca/

the Photo shows a Willys-overland tracked jeep. but I am fairly certain the photo is at one of the official Canadian museums (possibly Vimy house) rather than a private museum -the T34 in the background looks familiar. Anyway proof of the existance of a Mk1? tracked jeep.

Steve

universal_carrier_main.jpg

but I am fairly certain the photo is at one of the official Canadian museums (possibly Vimy house) rather than a private museum -the T34 in the background looks familiar.

Steve,

Correct, this picture was taken in the new Canadian War Museum facility. It shows the Tracked Jeep I mentioned earlier, it used to be stored at CWM´s Vimy House storage location.

Hanno

rog8811

Includes some footage of a German halftrack (Sd.Kfz.7 ?)

Its probably a SdKfz 8 -12ton probably the DB10, an example of this type was used in the 1960s movie "The Dirty Dozen" and I would think that this movie prop and that shown in video No 8 are the same.

There are also some interesting shots of Pound Yard including the Sexton GPO.

Steve,

Correct, this picture was taken in the new Canadian War Museum facility. It shows the Tracked Jeep I mentioned earlier, it used to be stored at CWM´s Vimy House storage location.

Hanno

On Ebay ,the 1945 test report on the armoured tracked Jeep

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANADIAN-ARMOURED-TRACKED-JEEP-MK-I-REPORT-1945_W0QQitemZ230441633070QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item35a764452e

• 1 year later...

I thought I would have a look to see if Jeff had posted any more films on Vimeo of his military vehicles, I was shocked to discover that Jeff passed away 6th Oct 2010.

:-(

Our paths crossed some years ago and in the time I knew him I quickly came to respect his knowledge and skill with green stuff.

*Edit* Just found this thread http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21053-Jeff-Theobold-has-past-away&highlight=jeff+theobold

Must have missed it at the time.......

Edited by rog8811

• 7 months later...

Amazing stuff! After more than 40 years I stumble across this video. I bought my Willys from him in 1971. It was the worst (and cheapest at £195) in a corner of his shed. A freezing day in March, with no tax etc., etc., I attempted to drive it the 45 odd miles back to my home at Westward Ho!. I soon discovered a broken front spring, I had to hold the top up with one hand, brakes on only one wheel and half way back the gummy fuel brough the whole contraption to a halt. A tow behind a friends' Landrover on a very short rope saved the day. Wonderfull times, I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

'ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT' :wow:

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

Here is a photo of the Tracked Jeep at the MVT show, Knebworth 1983. According to the note in my album it was entered by Jim Dowdall.

Nick, thanks for the correction about the PU8/4.

I think I am correct in saying this tracked jeep went to Canada .Also Jim Dowdall will be giving a talk at the Tank museum on Thursday the 29th March in the evening about his time in the film industry .