Guy's Yard (Exeter)

Great War truck

the blank box ive tried all 4 to no effect and sat looking at each for 5 to 10 minutes

I hate to think of someone not seeing these gems, I will try something for you.....

This is the direct link to Jeffs vimeo page, try running the videos from here...

If you still have no joy right click in the video box and click "about adobe flash player" to see if your version is up to date. 10,0,42,34 works with windows, you may need to update.

Regards rog8811

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a marvellous film, and the soundtrack fits so well. And a superb collection. Here's what I spotted:

Austin utility G/YG

Austin Champ

Austin K2 ATV (x 13 !!!!)

Austin K2/Y ambulance (54YP11)

Austin K6 gantry

Bedford QL

Carriers (x at least 2)

CMPs (assorted including HUP)

Daimler Dingo scout car

Dodge WC56 command car

Dodge WC57 command car

Dodge 6x6

Dodge M43 ambulance

Dodge D60 (?) with civvy crane

DUKW (GGP182J)

Fordson WOT1 (11AT81)

Fordson WOT2 (88RD54)

Fordson WOT3 (the Hughes family had one like this at one stage, the same one?)

GMC x2 civvy conversion to grain carriers?

Humber Snipe staff car

Humber scout car

Humber FWD

Humber FV1600

International halftrack x 2

Kubelwagen

Morris Commercial PU 8/4

Morris Commercial C8 FAT (crane on back)

Morris Commercial CDSW bofors tractor converted to civvy wrecker (I think this one appeared on the L-B run a few years back, Reg JSU812, one of Brian Rushton's)

Morris Commercial LRC

Standard utility

Schwimmwagen

Tracked jeep

Weasel

plus various motor cars including Allard and Morris 10/6 Special (both very rare).

It's difficult for us young 'uns to imagine what collecting was like in 1970 - it was only 25 years after the war, wartime kit was starting to pass through the first (and second+) set of civilian hands and so could be acquired relatvely cheapy... Some 40 years further on and things are very different for anyone wanting to enter the WW2 vehicle scene...

Edited by Runflat
Forgot a couple!

What a marvellous film, and the soundtrack fits so well. And a superb collection. Here's what I spotted:

Fordson WOT3 (the Hughes family had one like this at one stage, the same one?)

Not any old WOT3, it is a Trucktor conversion, as is Clive Hughes one, so good chance it is one and same vehicle.

Some of the rarer vehicles on there are still around, I am certain. The Morris Commercial PU 4x4 was in Warnham and I have a feeling it is probably now living in Dorset.

)

The rare Morris PU 4X4 was sold to the Bastogne museum, I went on several trips with Jeff delivering MV's to the museum including the Humber Hexanaut

Thanks guys, i obviously dont have the flash player in my computer its only 5 years old and i paid top dog for it then so prehaps this system has emerged since i bought mine. i will try the other link and report back.

tell you what i do have some good piccies of Geoffs Austin k6 when he was working on it at Warnham interested!

Shame you have to wait Les but I'm sure your son will get it sorted, I find that they usually can if over 6yrs old!

A very nostalgic film, I don't know any of the stars and cast, but it was all so similar to the daft antics our gang got up to around the same time. Thanks for the link Tim.

ah jeff's old collection, I was chatting with him about it at the NTET AGM gosh some of the stories that guy told me about his collection made me cry with laughter the guy is a legend! he now has a very interesting collection of steam cars.

Pete

The Morris Commercial PU 4x4 was in Warnham and I have a feeling it is probably now living in Dorset.

Nope, it was sold to the Liberty Museum in Arlon Belgium, which folded and the collection was sold to an American collector before I could buy the PU8/4. The American collector in Auburn, Indiana, USA. He passed away recently and this collection is now relocated to Florida.

H.

Edited by mcspool

Very rare only two of the Willy-overland mk1, as pictured were built. 6 of the modified mk1 with motor at the front were built and 5 Mk2.

I really hope it's well looked after.

I hope so, too.

There was a variant built by Marmon-Herrington, too.

The Canadian War Museum has a Tracked Jeep in its collection, plus there is another survivor in Canada.

jeep tracked 1.jpg

tracked jeep 2.jpg

Edited by mcspool

So there are three survivors! Well that makes it common so I am no longer interested in it then!

Thanks for doing that brilliant list Alan. I was going to have a go but it would not have been so comprehensive as yours.

As you say, just 25 years after the war, so a lot of these vehicles were around or just going to scrap yards. Amazing what could be had at that time. Probably still not a lot of disposable income then and not much inclination to save these things the war having ended so recently. very pleasing to know that most if not all of these (except for the K2's) were saved.

What is also interesting is that someone went to the effort to film it all, even if they are hamming it up a bit here and there.

Tim

No problem - it kept me out of mischief for a bit.

Back on tracked jeeps, there is a brief article on these in Classic Military Vehicle magazine (Feb 2003, p.48). I also recall Fred Smith (rare jeep collector of note) asking for details about these vehicles for one he is restoring. I can't remember where I read this now and may be getting my wires slightly muddled.

I recognise Jeff Theobald there, actually thinking about it, back in the 70's, I recollect looking at a collection of MV's in the grounds of Powderham Castle, near Exeter, I think these were Jeff's vehicles.

Just found the photos I took of a collection of MV's at Powderham Castle, going by the album, this was 1971, give or take a year. I do also recollect a Weasel there, although not seen in the photos. Pretty certain these are some of those seen on the film.

powderham mv's 002.jpg

powderham mv's 001.jpg

powderham mv's.jpg

powderham mv's 003.jpg

Thanks guys, i obviously dont have the flash player in my computer its only 5 years old and i paid top dog for it then so prehaps this system has emerged since i bought mine. i will try the other link and report back.

tell you what i do have some good piccies of Geoffs Austin k6 when he was working on it at Warnham interested!

yes please les everything you have,

regards

mcspool

There was a variant built by Marmon-Herrington, too.

Hi Hanno

I think the MH one is shown in the Bart VanderVeen observers fighting Vehicles Directories, there is also a photo of the Mk2 in Hunnicutts Bradley Book which looked like a better vehicle, but they all look so fragile- they make a M28/M29 look positively robust.

Steve

Guest Jeff Theobald

Hi All,

I have just registered to use this forum, Jeff Theobald here, I'm amazed these films have caused so much interest, back in those days Ed and myself were keen 8mm film buffs, and we both took hundreds of feet of film, the 8 parts of Guy's yard is just some of it.

I am puzzled by some comments 'CMP's, Jeep, Austin, on fire? and AFS K'2's scrapped!! Not so! we bought 22 K2's and many other WWII vehicles from the ministry in those days from push bikes to Aircraft, all for preservation and film hire, we were not in the scrap business, I have always been very passionate about any type of mechanical equipment from the smallest to enormous it makes no difference, very few vehicles were ever scrapped, they were either used to complete a restoration or were sold on to other enthusiast’s, the last film of Guy’s Yard is very sad at the end.

My Mother lived in Spain, while I was away on a six week visit, the axe fell on Guy’s Yard, and the chap who had been left in charge panicked about what to do. He called in the scrap man, I stopped him as soon as I got back, and found homes for everything.

I am replying to all the emails, and will help present owners of these vehicles with all the information I can remember.

I am looking into how I can transfer the many films I have direct to digital, keep an eye on my web site http://www.steamcar.net for more films as I get time to load them, all the best, Jeff.

I am puzzled by some comments 'CMP's, Jeep, Austin, on fire?

Hi Jeff,

I think someone has mistaken the flame from the steam cleaner !

We used to meet you at some of the shows back in late 80's, when you brought the Pioneer with trailer and Carrier. Places like Rushmoor, Southsea and Rudgwick. I bought a M20 back in '83 and the seller said he had bought from you several years before. In those days I was often with the Bordon boys, Dick Knight and others.

Great films, a bit of nostalgia, for us older ones :-)

regards, Richard

I am looking into how I can transfer the many films I have direct to digital, keep an eye on my web site

I will indeed look out for more, the films, posted so far, were a very welcome diversion from what I was meant to be doing.

Regards rog8811

Woops! My bad. So that is what a steam cleaner looks like! Does look like flames coming out of the CMP bonnet in film clip number 3 though. Probably find that was just light reflecting off the camera lens.

I had been told when i first heard of this film clip that the K2's had not been saved. So i got that wrong too!

I will get my coat.

Tim (too)

Jeff, dad (Dick Fryer) is only in this film briefly but he always talks fondly of the "days in Exeter" and how you all used the vehicles that are cherished now as toys

We are still plugging away at our Pioneer but will get there one day

It is because of the efforts of you guys from those days that so many vehilces have made it into preservation

Graham, i have put the photos of the k6 gantry in the British vehicle thread under the Austin K series and Jeff if you can put those yard films on to digital on a disc i for one would buy a copy the lack of a adobe flash player on my system is annoying at not being able to see the film

cheers

Les