gmc tavern

griff66

Question

Are they the "postman Pat" armoured patrol vehicles used in NI.

I think the bodies were removed because they are made from classified armour.

I would like to know more about them, They are described as having GM 6,2 turbo hmm....sure that should be 6.5 t.

Not very usefull for much except parts, unless you like a challenge.

Iain

Doh

I suppose it would be a hanging offence to scan it and send it !

It would not be any kind of offence to scan it and send a single copy to someone. It would cause no end of probs for the site though if you posted it on here. Mind you, they are a bit busy with other things at the moment so it might sneak past unnoticed. :laugh: (joke)

The only publication I can find listed is:

Truck, Utility, Command Post, GMC

2320-D-150-601 Maintenance Schedule

That is the only AESP listed. I've got a feeling User Handbook, IPC etc were published as Army Coded publications as they were essentially commercial publications just relabelled for MOD use. I'll carry on looking.

App2358a.jpg

PS. Oh I forgot the driver's door.

App2359.jpg

Edited by fv1609

Why have I NEVER seen one of these vehicles before???

I don't think that got a lot of use. I believe they had problems, like the daleks have, that it was not always easy to drive over the kerb. Oh and to go into 4WD, you have get out & lock the freewheeling hubs.

That would be a real problem... I would not want to draw the short straw and get out to lock the hubs in:-(. This would be a good basis for a replica vehicle, though like the SD KFZ 222 etc...

Am I to take it that these were a replacement for the Humber Pig???

Am I to take it that these were a replacement for the Humber Pig???

Saxon Patrol was the replacement for the Humber Pig, although it had a wider turning circle & poorer visibility. Where Tavern was meant to fit into the scheme of things, I really don't know.

I don't think that got a lot of use. I believe they had problems, like the daleks have, that it was not always easy to drive over the kerb. Oh and to go into 4WD, you have get out & lock the freewheeling hubs.

Clive,

It makes you wonder how they ever got as far as going into service, with shortcomings like that. This sort of thing happens too often.

I heard a story that there had been problems with the central locking operated by the key fob. On one occasion a key fob locked adjacent vehicles, jamming their locks. This required the flying in of a technician from the States to sort it out.