MOT Testing Exemptions Consultation VERY IMPORTANT

• 2 months later...

Hi The link to the consultation still does not work. it concerns me that if they change post 1960 vehicles later on they can change pre 60s. The MVT etc need to get involved.

I have a 1943 Dodge ambulance which had never been MOT'd, until last November a jobs worth at my local DVLA decided that her colleagues were wrong in issueing the previous tax discs without an MOT. It has been MOTless since it left the Army! Last week the DVLA declared it officially an ambulance and it is, under section 14 of the exemptions list MOT exempt. They even instantly issued me a free tax disc. All it needed was the word Ambulance on the side and stretchers inside, like it has always had. They are a funny bunch arent they.

• 1 month later...

It,s gonna happen lads, any way they can they can get another couple of bob out of us. I think every vehicle that uses the road should be MOT'd & though it cost me more money I thought it only right that I was made to place side and rear underuns on the truck. This is an important safety feature. It is the money they charge for the test that has me reeling. I just had my Bedford MJ/Camper MOT'd today in Ireland and was outraged at the price they charged me. It cost me 145 Euro's at the test centre who gave me a cert which I then had to take to the tax office, they took that cert & gave me another & had the front to charge me another 13 Euro's for the privilege. What kind of crap is this we must have MUG stamped on our foreheads? I'm waiting for them to slap a load more on the road tax now & me & my love (MJ) will have to part company. I just could no longer justify spending the money for the amount of use we get out of her in these increasingly hard times.

• 2 months later...

It was mentioned by Steve Wright on his Radio two show just now, he said something like 'Surely those old cars are the ones that really need testing aren't they?' :rolleyes:

Expecting him to read out all the readers texts agreeing with him now...

I would imagine this has come about as much by the logistical problems of managing a system of consistent tests on older vehicles and 'fitting in' with the increasingly automated MOT system, as any rights or wrongs or sensibility issues That is no reflection of any view I might have on the subject.

:readpaper:

Also on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326

I like this bit

Owners of classic vehicles will still be legally required to ensure that they are safe and in a proper condition to be on the road

At times I think classic vehicles are the only vehicles that are safe and in proper condition to be on the road.

Mike

Actually the MOT is 'At Time of Examination'. You still have the resposobility that any vehicle is roadworthy at all times. All the MOT does is pick up faults that are dangerous they may have been on the vehicle for 364 days. I've got an MOT don't need to check and service for another year.

Actually the MOT is 'At Time of Examination'. You still have the resposobility that any vehicle is roadworthy at all times. All the MOT does is pick up faults that are dangerous they may have been on the vehicle for 364 days. I've got an MOT don't need to check and service for another year.

That is a well known fact with us who caress, cherish, fiddle, molest (however you want to put it) and lavish our hard earned pounds on our loved ones. Even if the other half does not understand:-D.

Sadly the modern motorist seem to treat a car with less attention than a phone. I think thry believe a car is safe (has an airbag after all) but if the phone battery goes flat their life and the world will end.

Mike

I'djust be delighted if mobile phones and any motor vehicle were treated as an individual thing. One OR the other. It'd make my days a whole lot less stressful. There definitley ought to be a licence before you get a mobile.

They could have a points system.

2 points for minor misuse (like in a supermarket check out queue)

3 points for a major infraction (whilst cycling, crossing road, driving)

Of course there could also be a financial penalty.

Not forgetting at 6 points your phone is confiscated for a month.

Mike

Having a nose around the various comment coloums on Huffington Post there seem to be an awful lot of people complaing that 'This is another ploy on the goverment to cut what rich people pay'. Owning my Dodges is what keeps me POOR! :-D

My Dodge is currently declared MOT exempt with a V112G form. I can't find it now, but I'm sure I read somewhere that under the MOT Exemption, I couldn't tow a laden trailer. Is this correct or am I imagining things again?

The second part of my question is that after November 2012 when all pre-1960 vehicles become MOT exempt, would it be able to legally tow a laden trailer then? and by laden, does that include your own equipment/goods or just for commercial gain?