Saracen Build-up

montie

Monty,

MASSIVE e mail on its way back to you, let me know if you get any problems with downloading.

Think you'll find it interesting. Enjoy.

Re the Saracen model, it is 1/24th scale, was released in February this year as the MK5/6 version. About 8" long. Full interior detail, Rolls B80, working doors & hatches. Or as we say in the UK "The Full Monty". (sorry chaps, had to use that line)

Click here http://www.kitformservices.com/tq.html & then scroll down just past the Stalwart which is right at the top of the page. Click the little camera Icons for pictures.

Sadly the MK5/6 is the uparmoured version so I can't reverse engineer it to do an 88 conversion package.

Keep us up to speed on what you discover.

Howard.

Howard,

Apologies for my daft question on the models, after writing to the forum and then reviewing your mail again, I followed your link as I should have done in the first place.

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised at the quality and detail on your models!! A lot of work went into that. I am considering getting myself a Saracen in anycase. It is really worthwhile visiting your site, you really have a wide variety of vehicles. You should have posted some pics, man!!

Thanks for the news on the mail, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks again.

Monty.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Bit of an update. I did get a reply from the Tank Museum.

Unfortunately, we do not have the vehicle registration cards for your Saracen 96BA67 (in fact for the entire 96BAXX series we only have the cards for 96BA69).

I have requested the info of 96BA69 as the vehicles are very close. It can maybe shed some light as all others from the series is not available. Why do I have the feeling that this one could be the elusive "Saracen 88" in Europe sold to the US.

From now on, I will takes pics of any SA Saracen and take down their UK MoD registration number for building up some history. This is an extract from a letter that I got.

Had a look through the back issues and in the Jan 2005 issue Shaun Connors did a feature on BAE System’s Benoni facility and a company called Off-Road Truck and Trailer, both of which were responsible for the refurbishment of South African armoured vehicles of all types (I’ve always fancied a Caspir myself!).

The only differences I can see between the vehicle shown in the article (and the original article on the Saracen 88) are the replacement of the hatches and rifle ports with bullet proof glass direct vision blocks, other than that the vehicles look pretty much identical.

I have taken photos of the ID plate on the inside of the Saracen (I remember a post where somebody was looking for Saracen or Saladin plates?) Now, this plate states that it is a Mark 2. The other ID plate states "Mark 3SA". I do remember that I read somewhere (Can't put my finger on it at the moment) that South Africa purchased Mk2's that were modified.

As they say in South Africa......EISH!! Will keep digging

Slide3.JPG

ID plate 1.JPG

Slide1.JPG

Howard,

Apologies for my daft question on the models, after writing to the forum and then reviewing your mail again, I followed your link as I should have done in the first place.

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised at the quality and detail on your models!! A lot of work went into that. I am considering getting myself a Saracen in anycase. It is really worthwhile visiting your site, you really have a wide variety of vehicles. You should have posted some pics, man!!

Thanks for the news on the mail, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks again.

Monty.

Howard, I did get the article on the Saracen 88, lovely info and photos in article, thank you very much for your inputs.

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi guys,

A little update on the vehicle history saga.

A letter to the Tank Museum.

I am a member of the Historic MilitarynVehicle Forum and located in South Africa. I am in the process of revamping a Saracen and would love to get hold of the vehicle information card if you have it in your library. I have been advised by a forum member to contact you for the info.

Would you please advise me as how to go about getting a copy of this card or the info thereon? The vehicle particulars are as follows:

Saracen Mk3 by Alvis

96BA67 is the UK MoD registration number

The first answer.

Monty,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we do not have the vehicle registration cards for your Saracen 96BA67 (in fact for the entire 96BAXX series we only have the cards for 96BA69). We do receive batches of VRC every 18months or so from the MoD but at this present time I am afraid we are unable to help you.

Me begging again!

Could I beg for the info on the card of 96BA69 as I have no idea what it looks like and since

it is only two numbers away, please, please, please????

Next reply from the Tank Museum.

Please see attachment. Basically the 419A and 419B vehicle history cards were the means by which the British Army could keep a record of which unit had a certain vehicle, where and for how long and its date in service. Only the vehicle registration numbers were recorded no information on chassis numbers etc. were included. The 419 cards were used from around 1967 – 1968 until the mid 1980s when they were computerised on the Merlin system.

All the 419 cards are different and just because 96BA69 was with a certain unit at a certain time in no way can you draw the conclusion that your Saracen had the same history or fate as 96BA69.

I hope this helps.

Note thate this this also a Mark2, similar to the photo of the ID plate posted last night.

Me being Sherlock Holmes and "brilliant" at jumping to conclusions.:nut: (That's what my other half always says when we have a disagreement!!)

Thank you very much for your reply.

The conclusion that I came to is that the entire 96BAXX series was sold to the South African army save for 96BA69 which could be the "Saracen 88" about which articles were written stating that it was the sole prototype and that it never went into production. My Saracen is one example of this series and South Africa is virtually littered with these vehicles.

Thank you once again for your effort, you went out of your way to assist.

Cheers,

Monty.

History card.JPG

Monty,

The most interesting thing about that record card is who bought it when it was sold off...

http://www.milweb.net/go/banister/

Chris

I think that I might have fitted an engine and gearbox to that Saracen, in 1996, if it is the same Mk2, then it is still in this area. Not sure whether I ever noted the number of it.

Hi Chris,

It seems that you are the real Sherlock Holmes and me just a sidekick. I never saw that!

Richard, and you actually worked on the vehicle! My, what a small world!! Come on, it (THE NUMBER) is buried somewhere in the memories!! Did Banisters sell off the "Saracen 88" to a company or is there another one with no records?

Howard did say...."the plot thickens!"

Cheers,

Monty.

Hi Monty

You are making progress, keep up the good work

Where were the id plates in your saracen?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The cast ID plate is on the left hand side, bolted to the hull just hehind (viewing from the front) the escape hatch. The printed plate is in a 10 o'clock position above it.

Cheers,

Monty.

Richard, and you actually worked on the vehicle! My, what a small world!! Come on, it (THE NUMBER) is buried somewhere in the memories!! Did Banisters sell off the "Saracen 88" to a company or is there another one with no records?

If that record card is for the vehicle I worked on for them, then it is parked up on a private property and has been for many years. I do know it was a Mk2, so this narrows the possibility down a bit. :-)

Just found the invoice, yes it was that vehicle, so definitely not a Saracen 88.

Edited by Richard Farrant

It is a little bit confusing. Were the MoD numbers not part of aseries or were they randomly allocated?

I do need the numbers of a few other South African Saracens urgently for comparison purposes. Richard, the one plate states MK2 and the other Mk 3 SA, Does the model number (model 0) contribute to anything?

Monty.

Hi,

Everything washed and cleaned. (I should have bought the pressure washer ages ago!)

Trying to install that L/H front wheel assembly and getting that inside tracta fork to engage the splines in the bevel box all by myself, definitely not a one man job! The wheel assy is to heavy to maneuver, even with the crane! Will have to wait for reinforcements to assist with the man handling.

Checked the post box this morning for the mail on the South African Saracens, nothing yet.

Cheers,

Monty.

Here we go!

Apparently this was in the movie, District 9 (haven't seen it yet) The thing (by lack of another name!) was built by a farmer:nut: using Saracen parts:nut::nut::nut:.

I have got some more pics from this sorry scapyard but I will post them tomorrow.

Cheers,

Monty.

Slide1.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Hi Chris,

My kids were at this scapyard and the owner says legislation is preventing him from selling to the public. I have scrutinized the web for any such legislation before but could not find any. Will have to pay the guy a visit myself.

Cheers.

Monty.

Interesting, despite the other upgrades, I see some were left with the older 3 door turret & not the improved 2 door job. Looks like the SA weather has been fairly kind to them too.

At least the pics proove Monty does not have a rare 'one off' (although rare by UK standards) & that it's fairly safe to assume that a lot, if not all, SA Saracens were of the Saracen 88 type. Also that the one in MMI is not a "sole survivor" by a long chalk.

For me at least this has been an interesting thread. Did you drop GKL a line Monty, maybe they can offer more info on how many & when / where converted.

Howard

Hi, Monty, my friend... I see in some of those pictures there are some seats in the interiors of the saracens, which have the oval shaped vinyl padded backrests on, ... any chance you could find out if it is possible to purchase 9 of the best condition ones?... have beeen looking over here (and elsewhere!) , but only managed to find rotten or torn old canvas ones, willing to pay good money for them....;):-D:cool2:

regards

Matt (oily)

Here we go!

Apparently this was in the movie, District 9 (haven't seen it yet) The thing (by lack of another name!) was built by a farmer:nut: using Saracen parts:nut::nut::nut:.

I've got the DVD, didn't give it a thought when I watched it. I'll check if its there.

Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags

Hi, Monty, my friend... I see in some of those pictures there are some seats in the interiors of the saracens, which have the oval shaped vinyl padded backrests on, ... any chance you could find out if it is possible to purchase 9 of the best condition ones?... have beeen looking over here (and elsewhere!) , but only managed to find rotten or torn old canvas ones, willing to pay good money for them....;):-D:cool2:

regards

Matt (oily)

Matt, I am planning to go there and talk to these people, I need a reduction gearbox and rog8811 wants to know more about those trucks.

Cheers,

Monty.