White Halftrack Track Changing

mick.wilson

Question

Hi guy's,

We have had our new Halftrack tracks arrive (two new sets all the way from Israel via Leicester), we have never changed them before and plan to fit new brake shoes and possibly the slave cylinders while we have the tracks off. Someone has said we should fit new bogie wheels and bogie wheel bearings if we are changing the tracks...!, is this true ? is there any Halftrack owners out there that could shed some light on this ?

If we can get all the parts together in time, we are thinking of changing the track's as part of our display at Beltring, I know we need lifting gear but there are so many other military lifting vehicles at W&P that I can't see that being a problem, also if we need help from somebody that has knowledge of Halftrack track changing there will be a lot more people in that one place and at the same time than at any other place in the country, plus it will look cool in the "Repair Depot" part of our scenario 8-).

One of 4

track.jpg

Thanks.

Mick.

13 answers to this question

Hi Mick you will need the special tools to jack up the track rollers mate...Andy King from Class 2 supplies has a set if you are struggling.

Yes it would pay to either reseal and re grease all bogie wheels mate.....while the tracks are off....bearings should be OK unless the tracks have been run too tight

and trouble is mate most of the half track experts will be in France...:-( wot a bummer on the 2ADs back to the bocage trip.....

Mick i need to talk to you re the last small wall tent.....its SOLD

Call me my ol mate

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

I have been told that if we put a chain through the bogie wheel outer frame and lift with a forklift, with the forks either side of the frame bracket assembly we can then take the track off (after removal of the top rollers and the release of the rear track idler), have you see or used this method before Lloyd ?. In the manual there is a set of clamps that can be used but we have not got them.

We will be taking the all the tents to Beltring and I guess you and Kjell will be there to collect, or are you on the France trip ?.

Mick

Page239a.jpg

Page238.jpg

Hi mate...yes i am going on the 2nd armoreds trip to France its gonna be a blast

No i havent seen it done like that before but it looks entirely possible that that is a correct "field" expedient method.

And Mick how many tents have you got left ? for sale

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

Kjell has told me he has sold them, 3 tents left, but all are sold I thought to you ? I am not sure you will have to ask Kjell.

Thanks again for you help Lloyd, I am sure there will be some Halftrack owners at W&P that can help with advice (if we get the brakes in time)

Guest bigredone

Nothing to do with changing the tracks but there are some pictures of you and your display from Alton in the Forties in the Alton Herald........would you like me to try and scan for you to have a look at. They have numbers for you to order prints from.

Let me Know

Paul

1-16-I

Nothing to do with changing the tracks but there are some pictures of you and your display from Alton in the Forties in the Alton Herald........would you like me to try and scan for you to have a look at. They have numbers for you to order prints from.

Let me Know

Paul

1-16-I

Thanks Paul,

We have got a couple of copys of the Alton Herald, some good shots of our lot 8-).

Mick.

Hi,

I've got the Ward laFrance that drove through your display at Horndean. I'll be at Beltring with the truck. I changed a Halftrack track last week, doing the second one tomorrow night and planning to get it running in time to tow it down to the show next Monday. The only special tool you need is a ratchet strap. Using my method it took about 30 mins to get the track off and about 30mins to get the new one on. Ask for Mike on Nick Chance's big Gulf War display and I'll show you how. Dose everything you can find in WD40 or your chosen equivalent.

The biggest potential problem is that the big nut on the idler tensioner may be siezed. One of ours needed heating before it would shift.

Regards - Mike

Just so you know, my method involves removing the bogie units and arms completely. This not only gives you a chance to inspect them but makes it soooo much easier to manhandle the tracks in and out. I believe that in the long run this is actually a quicker way to do it although it is more work than the method in the TM.

Hi,

I have been trying to get the guys to get there $hit together for Beltring but I don't think we will have the brake shoes in time, pity, thanks for the offer you can still come over and tell us your way of doing the job, if you get the chance.

"oxy kit and 3/4 drive set" Best bring it anyway, Jem is bringing his mig welder :-D.

Mick.