MP43 - Post war.

ajmac

Can anyone recommed a good site or book concerning the history of the StG44? The one I have is actually an early one marked as an MP43, when I stripped it down much of the nooks and crannies had sand mixed in with the grease. One of my dealer friends at the time (now passed away) said Egypt had used StG44s and had sold there ex-stock, so it probably from there. How could I find out the post war history, any markings to look for?

PS. It's an early de-act to it comes to pieces.

I don't know any relevant sites for MP 43-StG44 but as no one else has posted anything better this is my limited knowledge of Post War use.

I heard 2 stories re eygptian MP43-StG 44 one is they are handed over by the British to the Farouk Government the 2nd is they came from yugoslavian stock -whether the Yugoslavs actually made StG44 is unclear, according to World.Guns.Ru web site they made ammunition until 1980 and their designation for the weapon inferes a captured weapon. It is likely that Eygptian ammo would have come from Yugoslavia.

About five years ago photos of StG44 armed militias in the congo appeared in Army Recognition. Web site but no information was given as to the origin of the StGs - I wondered whether by this time that some may have be re-configured to use 7.62 x 39 ammo as 7.92 x 33 must have been a problem for bandit armies to purchase. Of course it is possible that the weapons were ex government obtained from any source.

Does your StG have any markings - for example a Farouk regime armoury crest would be different from a Eygptian Republic mark, but would be unlikely to be remarked if already in service or stock, there is a possiblity if it was British supplied it may have a British re-manufacturer mark or Government mark, the Yugoslavian I suspect may not be remarked and may carry waffe marks.

Anyway nice piece of kit, I certainly think the British missed a trick with this weapon -the Army were very enamoured by the Kurz round, personally I think either limited production or refurbishment of existing StG44 at least for the combat ready units could have avoided the serious Post War rifle errors- No4 Mk2 and the SLR.

I would have liked to have a de-ac PPSH41 or PPS43 but I don't see the point under the current regs.

Steve

When I get home I'll take some photos and post them, perhaps we can work out the markings. I always wanted to get an MP40, but they were thin on the ground even back in 95 when I was collecting, I held a possible purchase in my hands in Walsall in about 96, the guy wanted 450 for it, but I said it was too much and passed it up, I swapped him an MP34o for an early Thompson instead. Yet another example of one of those 'oh bugger' moments again :cry:

I agree with you steve, I stopped collecting when the regs changed, the very last things I aquired was an old spec Sten Mk2 for 100 quid - those were the days.

If I rememebr correctly the collection still contains:

Bren Mk1, Sten Mk2, No4Mk1, No4Mk1 (live), P17, Thompson, Enfield Revolver, Enfield 'Tankers' Revolver, MP43 and an MG34 - I always intended to get an MG42, K98k, MP40 & Panzerfaust 60 but the regs were changing and things were getting out of hand in the market by then, so I gave it all up.

Edited by ajmac

I don't know any relevant sites for MP 43-StG44 but as no one else has posted anything better this is my limited knowledge of Post War use.

I heard 2 stories re eygptian MP43-StG 44 one is they are handed over by the British to the Farouk Government the 2nd is they came from yugoslavian stock -whether the Yugoslavs actually made StG44 is unclear, according to World.Guns.Ru web site they made ammunition until 1980 and their designation for the weapon inferes a captured weapon. It is likely that Eygptian ammo would have come from Yugoslavia.

About five years ago photos of StG44 armed militias in the congo appeared in Army Recognition. Web site but no information was given as to the origin of the StGs - I wondered whether by this time that some may have be re-configured to use 7.62 x 39 ammo as 7.92 x 33 must have been a problem for bandit armies to purchase. Of course it is possible that the weapons were ex government obtained from any source.

Does your StG have any markings - for example a Farouk regime armoury crest would be different from a Eygptian Republic mark, but would be unlikely to be remarked if already in service or stock, there is a possiblity if it was British supplied it may have a British re-manufacturer mark or Government mark, the Yugoslavian I suspect may not be remarked and may carry waffe marks.

Anyway nice piece of kit, I certainly think the British missed a trick with this weapon -the Army were very enamoured by the Kurz round, personally I think either limited production or refurbishment of existing StG44 at least for the combat ready units could have avoided the serious Post War rifle errors- No4 Mk2 and the SLR.

I would have liked to have a de-ac PPSH41 or PPS43 but I don't see the point under the current regs.

Steve

A load of these as shooters came on the market in the 80's. They were all ex East German Army releases. The DDR/ NVA used a lot of Ex Whermacht weapons when originally building up it's Police & Armed Forces after the War.

In 'The good old days', we used to extend the barrel to 24", smooth bore out the rifling. And you could have it on production of a shotgun certificate! My, My, how things have changed!

I used to have a massive collection of smoothbored MG's SMG's & Rifles like this. It was great for re-enacting. Also had some handguns with 24" barrels on, just for legalitys sake. At least they would still go bang! Ah, happy days...........................:cool2: