Excellent work!

Sourcing parts and in many cases just having to have them made as originals are very difficult to find is a good way to lose a few days!

And after the reproduction is finished someone will recognise the bits in their bin under the workbench and come up with the NOS bits. . . :D

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who did you use for making the new cables? I need a set of heavy duty cables for the Loyd brakes, I found a company nr Manchester who could do them, but haven't followed it up yet.

You need an agent for Teleflex Morse Controls. I used to use a top drawer company (last time 12 years back), right on your doorstep in fact -

FLEXIBLE CONTROLS, a division of a marine engineering company called GREEN (?) right on the quay in Lincoln.

I can't find anything on the www, but maybe a bit of legwork will enable you to track them down.

If you do make a connection, please let me know.

Alastair ,I have spoke to Carl this morning and asked who we used for the lock out cables that you can see in the pictures and its a company called Speedy cables , there web address is http://WWW.speedycables.com ,i have had a quick look on there site and they do all sorts ,gauges tachodrives ,cables etc ,hope that is of some help .

You need an agent for Teleflex Morse Controls. I used to use a top drawer company (last time 12 years back), right on your doorstep in fact -

FLEXIBLE CONTROLS, a division of a marine engineering company called GREEN (?) right on the quay in Lincoln.

I can't find anything on the www, but maybe a bit of legwork will enable you to track them down.

If you do make a connection, please let me know.

It was CW Green, and they are no longer trading. Bu%%er. Anyone know a good Teleflex Morse dealer?

Adrian Barrell

But, why are the HE black?

I know i'm going to get beaten up but What:nut:

I thought the shells were APCBC and AP shot the only thing that bothers me is the green band (the marker for explosive filled) on the AP shot it should be red/white with the white tip as shown.

Surely the HE shell Mk1(t) would be buff anyway with a green band with the composition stencilled on (TNT RDX) and would have a nose percussion fuse No.244 which would be apparent as it is flat nosed.

I've got my tin hat on and expect a grenade or two imminentely:-D

Steve

Adrian Barrell

Shells are copies of the HE Mk2 with a 244 fuse

Thanks for the clarification -to me the shorter round looked like a poor attempt at an AP Shot mock up -I can't recall ever seeing a Mk2T HE I assume it was more streamlined than the Mk1.

Steve

• 1 month later...

It's been seven weeks since the last update, having been sent quite a few pics I thought I should post them up!

The turret is ready to be fitted to the hull, though this will wait until the vehicle is running.

The gun has been deactivated and various parts have been restored and fitted. These pics show parts of the semi-automatic gear and closing spring.

2011-01-28_13-32-56_280120112352.jpg

2011-01-28_13-32-46_280120112351.jpg

2011-01-28_13-33-20_280120112354.jpg

The gun cradle itself bolts onto the back of the mantlet which fits on the turret trunnions. This is different to Sherman for example where the mantlet bolts to the mount and the trunnions are on the cradle.

The tube and mount have to be slid through the mantlet and then the muzzle brake can be fitted.

2011-01-19_11-49-30_190120112325.jpg

2011-01-19_13-12-46_190120112327.jpg

2011-01-19_16-05-14_190120112328.jpg

2011-01-19_16-05-32_190120112329.jpg

So much hard work!

I didn't realise how much the engine bay protruded into the fighting compartment, the bulkhead is virtually flat on your M4A4 isn't it? It must be SO noisy in there with those twin diesels running.

Final point: Fire extinguishers; are they just for show or will they be operational?

Adrian S do you know when you are going to get your first test drive? :drive:

excellent work guys. i don't know about anyone else but i find it's the details that take the time. i've just spent 2 hours fabricating a little bracket that goes on the side of the carrier headlamp and looks like something you could pick up for £2 at a fair. :D

hope to see the m10 on the scene this year

rick

Hi Alastair ,

The first drive who knows ??? I would like to think i will have the M10 By May as theres a fortys themed weekend at the Bluebell railway that i have promised to take it too , I have brought a set of rubber chevron tracks from a mate in America and they havnt left yet so they will be at least 6 weeks , it should be at the W and P show as a definite this year