Queen Mary Aircraft Recovery Trailers

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re the cam for the crane see attached Hemswell spring 1944. I have also been looking at Amazon crane specs etc The Airfix crane is also a combination of 2 versions; to cut a long story short there were 2 jibs lengths. only the short one had the screw thread derricking arrangement. On the long jib featured in the kit the lead screw is replaced by a winch arrangement running over a single pulley . Looking in my Bart Vanderveen bibles ; both are Coles MK V11, the short jib with screw is a MK V11 series 2 the long jib raised by cable & pulley is a MK V11 series 7. Good old airfix not one of their Airfield vehicle sets is anywhere near being accurate !

TED

DVD_20080811234822..jpg

DVD_20080811234720..jpg

DVD_20080811234446..jpg

seafire crash 2..jpg

vint051..jpg

Jessie both 3 & 5 ton were the same length, I have recently had access to the WW2 ed of the RAF data book of MT; this is what I extracted;

WW2 QM dimensions

3 ton

Overall length 40ft Inside body 34ft external width 8ft 6 inch internal width 6ft

Overall height 5ft 6inch internal height 2ft 6inch

Tyres 10.50 x 20

5 ton

Overall length 40ft Inside body 34 ft external width 9ft internal width 6ft 1inch (at wheelarch 5ft 6 inch)

Overall height 4ft 4inch internal not given

Tyres 13.50 x 20

TED

Jessie go back to message 33 ian scales measured the 5 ton version at the Yorkshire Air museum and it was 40ft overall, the first 10 ton version was again still only 40ft with 34ft inside .

I am hoping to make some progress with my Amazons tomorrow one will be lwb. the other swb

keep plodding the end is in sight

TED

Cracking Job, Had my sons with their families for easter feast got the boys away from the compulsory enjoyment into my den to get some designs on control surface locks. They gave me sketches of various types but Oldest who has been airframes for last 22 yrs tells me he believes hurri etc didn't have them they used a stick lock and rigging pins. Have you any info to suggest this is right or wrong.

I think I will put a 5 ton trailer in the queue to be hauled with a Bedford S and something like a Hunter on bard or a Javelin I have a Jav kit in the loft

regards TED

Just had a look through some of my photos. The Mk1 Hurri at Hendon has wooden elevator locks in the tail. That may just be something fitted by the museum. I have a couple of pictures of airworthy Hurricanes parked up and presumably with the locks in, both of which both show the elevator slightly upward. See below.

hurricane8.jpg

yes and putting it another way the overall diameter by 1mm. The rear tyres on the Amazon are 13.50 x 20

I just tried an Amazon tyre against my built QM it seems all Airfix tyres are wrong, The AEC refueller also has 13.50 x 20 The refueller tyre is much smaller than the Amazons; I think the refueller tyre in the kits is too small something borne out by all the beeefed up tyres in the upgrade kits on the market --- but I also think the Amazon tyre is to big. If you use the axle stub as per kit the Amazon tyre wont fit into the wheel arch,

even the refueller tyre may not fit in either, certainly trying one its a very tight fit. . The answer may be to lower the stub axle to gain vertical clearance but I am not sure it would gain the necessary horizontal clearance. . Nothing is easy in trying to ge6t these old but still produced airfix kits right.

Keep plodding mate I need all the inspiration I can get at the moment and I certainly get that from your work !!

TED

• 1 month later...