Queen Mary Aircraft Recovery Trailers

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding that there is no difference in length (40ft) between the 3 & 5 Ton versions, the 3 Ton version has 3 'crossed' sections before the wheel, where as the 5 Ton has 3 and a half, but, the 'crossed' sections on the 5 Ton version are at a more acute angle.

That being said there were many variants made, but to my knowledge these involved bodies rather than length.

The overall length issue (inc prime mover) is still somewhat debatable as Taskers original poster depicts a 5 Ton variant with a Spitfire onboard being pulled by an S Type Bedford with '60 Feet Long' boards on !!! This would make the distance from bumper to 5th wheel area of the S type approx 20ft !!

1,862 3 Ton & 1,975 5 Ton versions were in operation by the end of the 2nd WW, to say the figures are about the same there's very few examples of the 3 Ton left.

The old Newark Air Museum one was 3 Ton

East Kirby is 5 Ton

Yorkshire Air Museum is 5Ton

Hendon is 5 Ton

Duxford is 5 Ton

Eden Camp is 5 Ton

2MT (Wittering, Historic Fleet) is 5 Ton

.......Oh, and the one used in 'Reach for the Sky' was 5 Ton :)

I might get round to finishing the 1/15th scale model I started ages ago !!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21032[/ATTACH]

Ianpencil.png

Hi Ian, just been looking at a document re Taskers published post WW2 it intimates that both trailers were the same length as it says " although the warning boards normally said 60ft , irrespective of tractor and trailer combination, the Queen Mary unit was never more than 55ft long.

Fantastic model watch out for turmites though !! that desrves a nice glass case.

Regards

TED

Incidentally if anyone has a copy of the AP 2782A, page entry, for "Tasker 5 Ton, Long Low Loading Semi-Trailer" I would be most grateful of a copy :)

But alas, as this thread is going, I suspect no one has :-(

I wish !!!! I have the later 10 ton which came in 2 lengths , and a choice of widths.

when you send me a job card to get your current build into the GEF paintshop I will send you a fantastic plan for the later 10 ton version !!!

TED

That's a great model Ian. I plan to do mine in small scale.

Thanks for reiterating my plea for the AP 2782A, page entry concerning the "Tasker 5 Ton, Long Low Loading Semi-Trailer", that or somebody taking a tape measure to one of the museum exhibits would definitively settle the length issue.

Ted, I'd be interested in that plan you mentioned too.

Fyll

Ian, in my set of APs 2782 in trailer section item 10 it states Taskers 5 ton semi trailer long low loader but its not a Queen Mary but a 16 wheel flat fuselarge trailer shown with a front bogie attached

Oh, the plot thickens !! I wonder why, because the numbers produced are about the same as the 3 Ton version so it's not likely that they would have just left it out.

Ian, in my set of APs 2782 in trailer section item 10 it states Taskers 5 ton semi trailer long low loader but its not a Queen Mary but a 16 wheel flat fuselarge trailer shown with a front bogie attached

Hi Les if its the index that quotes item 10 as being a 5 ton QM but the actual leaf is different then this sounds like a replacement item 10 leaf was issued but the AP custodian failed to amend the index with the replacement item's correct title. Just a thought mate . I have searched everywhere but cannot find a leaf on the 5 ton. Bart Vandeveen in his Kalidascope of Bedford vehicles states; the 5 ton is dimensionally very similar to the 3 ton version, it is 6 inches wider, had a slight narrowing of the internal wheel arch dimension to accomadate the larger tyres 13.50 x 20 viz 10.50 x 20.

Gents

Bart also notes there was a 3 ton short low loader; any clues ??

On a slightly different tack there was a thread on HMVF about a trailer lying derelict and at some point pictures of the fuselage trailer you mention were posted, I spent ages last night searching for that thread can anyone help a senile olde man in his hour of need please !!!

regards from soggy freezing Scotland

TED

Ted you just dropped a spanner in the works!:)

The internal narrowing at the wheel arches is visible in the photos I posted.

Ian do you have the measurements for the width from the museum exhibit? I would really appreciate a full set of measurements as I am about to start on the model.:bow:

Thank you both

Fyll

Ted you just dropped a spanner in the works!:)

The internal narrowing at the wheel arches is visible in the photos I posted.

Ian do you have the measurements for the width from the museum exhibit? I would really appreciate a full set of measurements as I am about to start on the model.:bow:

Thank you both

Fyll

Fyll there is a data plate on the front face of the head in your pictures 3 & 4 did you get a close up.

FYLL & IAN is this a WW2 production 5 ton example or a post war ?? how do we tell between WW2 production and later 5 ton models. ??

TED

Ian, I sent you a PM with my email.:)

Ted, I'm very sorry but in those days I was not so wise :red: and I was still using film, which I used more sparingly than I do memory card capacity these days!

Fyll :banghead:

how do we tell between WW2 production and later 5 ton models. ??
I'm afraid I don't know the difference between them !!

The measurements I have don't include the gap between the wheels but it's not difficult to guesstimate from the other measurements.

I've checked all the close up pictures I have of the 'Head' and they've all got the plates missing !!

IMG00088.jpg

IMG00089.jpg

Edited by ianscales

Fyll I know what you mean about using film in the days gone by it was very expensive and no shooting off loads of shots like we do now,

I would guess looking at your shots and Ian's the narrowing is only about 3 to 4 inches per side What do you reckon Ian ???

I haven't forgotten the drawing etc for the 10 ton version scanner is down at the moment but I hope to sort it by the weekend I will also scan the data book sheet/

regards TED

the narrowing is only about 3 to 4 inches per side

Yes about that Ted, it's just enough to take the 'swing arm' style suspension, which must have been a feat of engineering in itself.

I've often wondered how many were overloaded though, whilst I appreciate the relative lightness of a fuselage I've see some pretty daunting loads i.e.

wellingtonQueenMary.jpg