Queen Mary Aircraft Recovery Trailers

Can anyone tell me what differences there were between the 3 Ton and 5 Ton Queen Mary trailers? I'm about to start building a 1/76 scale diorama using two of the Airfix kits ( after I've finished Bodges 1/35 Flying Control truck! ), and was curious as to the differences whether it was a major redesign or just a strengthening of components and axel.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me what differences there were between the 3 Ton and 5 Ton Queen Mary trailers? I'm about to start building a 1/76 scale diorama using two of the Airfix kits ( after I've finished Bodges 1/35 Flying Control truck! ), and was curious as to the differences whether it was a major redesign or just a strengthening of components and axel.

The original QM was 3 ton, towed by Commer 8 ft wheelbase tractor units, then came the Bedford OX tractor, the 5 ton trailer was slightly bigger, it had a different head arrangement to the original 3 ton version, The Bedford OX was a bit underpowered for a fully laden 5 ton QM so the Crossley 4x4 tractor was introduced to tow the 5 ton trailer; but it seems the Bedford was still used with the 5 ton. . Then came a 10ft wheelbase Commer , beware the Bedford OX in the Airfix kit is of a totally different scale to the trailer, it is far too small, when I get round to building a Bedford OX I will use a Bedford OY Chassis cab from BW models and reduce the chassis to suit.

The Airfix trailer has a lattice construction almost identical to the 3 ton but its head is more akin to a 5 ton trailer, A commer 8 ft tractor is availible from MMS models.

In the early WW2 years salvage and repair recovery units used mainly tasker 3 ton flatbed trailers 2 lengths 20 ft and 33ft, then came the QM

The 33ft is also availible from MMS . Do a Google there are lots of QM piccies there is a whole series on GETTY ; I have read various posts on the QM in the Airfix tribute forum most is myth or hogwash

TTFN TED

OK, I've found a couple of QM trailer pictures, one three ton the other 5 ton. The latice structure in the kit is the 3 ton version, but I can see in the pictures the difference in the hitches. The pictures aren't massive, so has anyone got any better pictures of the two trailers and their hitches?

The 3 ton trailer has three diagonally braced bays ahead of the axel and two behind. The 5 ton has three large bays and one small ahead of the axel and two behind.

This is the Hendon one, photographed in December. It's a 5 ton version. This is as close as I could get due to part of the hall taped off as work was being done.

anson9.jpg

I have a picture of the Debach one somewhere on my backup drive, and just about to go looking for it. Most of Duxford was closed in December when I went, so didn't get to see that one.

I've only snapped the same one at Hendon. There is definitely one at East Kirkby...towed by a Bedford.

There was a Commer tractor unit on the show circuit back at the turn of the century...I snapped it at the Hop Farm. Very interesting advice from Ted. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this Steve...didn't think you had much time on your hands mate!

MB

Hello All

In post #34 of this thread http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?10371-Trailers/page4, 6x6 posted a page form the "Data book of RAF vehicles" concerning the 3ton "Queen Mary".

I'm trying to ort details and dimensions for modelling purposes. Dos anybody have the relevant page for the 5ton model? I want to sort out the length issue. Was the 5-toner indeed longer and where there any other dimensional differences?

Years ago I found one in a field in Limassol in Cyprus, and some years later another one in scrap yard near Larnaca. The latter is probably still there hiding in the tall grass! By the way what's the purpose of the device in the n/s forward side with the wheel and the coil spring? It looks like a tensioner of some kind.

Thanks in advance

Fyll

TM scan-10.jpg

TM scan-11.jpg

TM scan-13.jpg

TM scan-17.jpg

TM scan-14.jpg

TM scan-15.jpg

TM scan-18.jpg

TM scan-12.jpg

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info on the hand-brake.

Yes both trailers I found had the tapered rear end lattice-work, however I had reached the conclusion that this was feature of all 5-ton trailers. Have I got that wrong?

The way I sorted things, the 3-ton model has lighter looking lattice-work with fewer diagonal braces, no taper on the rear, the front face of the side lattices is exposed, there are fewer segments to each side and the tyres are 10.50-20.

The 5-ton model has heavier looking lattice-work with more diagonal braces, and a greater number of segment to each side, the rear is tapered, the front face of the side lattices is covered by the tapering front sheet metal, and according to BH Vanderveen the tyres are 13.50-20.

What is confusing is that the warning sign carried on the rear of the 5-ton trailer states the overall length as 60 feet as opposed to the 50 feet of the 3-tonner even when the same type of tractor is used! This ten foot difference is the reason I am seeking the Data book entry on the 5-tonner in order to clear things up. The trailer thread only contained data for the 3-tonner.

Is 6x6 reading this?

Fyll

It is my understanding that there is no difference in length (40ft) between the 3 & 5 Ton versions, the 3 Ton version has 3 'crossed' sections before the wheel, where as the 5 Ton has 3 and a half, but, the 'crossed' sections on the 5 Ton version are at a more acute angle.

That being said there were many variants made, but to my knowledge these involved bodies rather than length.

The overall length issue (inc prime mover) is still somewhat debatable as Taskers original poster depicts a 5 Ton variant with a Spitfire onboard being pulled by an S Type Bedford with '60 Feet Long' boards on !!! This would make the distance from bumper to 5th wheel area of the S type approx 20ft !!

1,862 3 Ton & 1,975 5 Ton versions were in operation by the end of the 2nd WW, to say the figures are about the same there's very few examples of the 3 Ton left.

The old Newark Air Museum one was 3 Ton

East Kirby is 5 Ton

Yorkshire Air Museum is 5Ton

Hendon is 5 Ton

Duxford is 5 Ton

Eden Camp is 5 Ton

2MT (Wittering, Historic Fleet) is 5 Ton

.......Oh, and the one used in 'Reach for the Sky' was 5 Ton :)

I might get round to finishing the 1/15th scale model I started ages ago !!

Ianpencil.png

qmmodel2.jpg

Edited by ianscales