ongoing replica sdkfz222

wilhelm222

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just picked up my new project , yes another donor 110 started stripping it but dont no wether to do another 222 or 223 radio armoured car , will probabally start a new thread when i decide. also just added one of the last reenacment photos of the year with the sd kfz 222 at northampton and lamport railway.

phone 037.jpg

phone 086.jpg

Seeing what you made out of a LR before I wouldn't be surprised you make a halftrack out of it.

Good luck....

well cheers was thinking about a sdkfz250 but its getting the sprockets and tracks that look very simaular the hull would be easy enough but its getting it to work prperly and look the part.

After our chat at Old Warden I thought you would be attempting a Me109, maybe that's next.

Are you going to try fitting the engine in rear just take make it more challenging?

Have been thinking about it and mounting engine rear.

If you rotate engie 180 degress to line u at rear transfer box out puts are on wrong side for diffs.

Can you mound axles upside down on 110 to get over this?

Mike

After our chat at Old Warden I thought you would be attempting a Me109, maybe that's next.

Are you going to try fitting the engine in rear just take make it more challenging?

Have been thinking about it and mounting engine rear.

If you rotate engie 180 degress to line u at rear transfer box out puts are on wrong side for diffs.

Can you mound axles upside down on 110 to get over this?

Mike

but wouldnt i have1 forward and 5 reverrse gears , the me 109 is on hold at the moment as this 110 came up cheap will.

but wouldnt i have1 forward and 5 reverrse gears , the me 109 is on hold at the moment as this 110 came up cheap will.

Thought about that as far as I can work out you still have 5 forward and one reverse gear.

Rotating the engine to mount in the rear changes direction of propshaft rotation. If connected to axles, left as norma,l you would have 5 reverse gears.

By rotating the axles and mounting upside down you have basically handed the differentials so you maintain the 5 forward gears.

Attached is a quick simple sketch that demonstrates this principle. Arrows show direction of rotation of each element.

As long as I have my theory right it should be OK. I am sure somebody else will tell me if it is wrong.

There are of course drawbacks and other complications.

Gear linkages will be interesting. Autobox would simplify things.

If you do not have permanant 4 wheel drive you will have front wheel drive in 2 wheel mode.

Mike

rear mount.pdf

Thought about that as far as I can work out you still have 5 forward and one reverse gear.

Rotating the engine to mount in the rear changes direction of propshaft rotation. If connected to axles, left as norma,l you would have 5 reverse gears.

By rotating the axles and mounting upside down you have basically handed the differentials so you maintain the 5 forward gears.

Attached is a quick simple sketch that demonstrates this principle. Arrows show direction of rotation of each element.

As long as I have my theory right it should be OK. I am sure somebody else will tell me if it is wrong.

There are of course drawbacks and other complications.

Gear linkages will be interesting. Autobox would simplify things.

If you do not have permanant 4 wheel drive you will have front wheel drive in 2 wheel mode.

Mike

hi mike theory sounds good but might skip the idea on this occassion as i nee

phone 092.jpg

phone 093.jpg

Your not hanging around on this one then.

I think your right to keep engine at front. Been doing a bit more thinking and the following would prevent some interesting problems to eat into time.

Gear linkages

Do you need power steering?

Clutch operation.

Brakes - servo assistance.

All solvable but I can see them being time consuming to resolve and get working properly.

Mike

• 9 months later...

How did the MK II SD KFZ222 turn out? Did you take any more pictures of her? I am still contemplating a 1/1 replica 234/2 Puma. I think I have most of the important bits sorted. It has to have independant suspension and the running gear will be sourced from Toyota Hilux pickups, Mk4 front differentials in all 4 axles and transfer boxes from Landcruisers to complete the drivetrain. 4.7 litre engine with automatic trans and Hilux front hub assemblies with custom arms and driveshafts. The hardest part is figuring out the best way of steering 3 axles..... Unless someone knows of a ready made 8x8 chassis to use....

How did the MK II SD KFZ222 turn out? Did you take any more pictures of her? I am still contemplating a 1/1 replica 234/2 Puma. I think I have most of the important bits sorted. It has to have independant suspension and the running gear will be sourced from Toyota Hilux pickups, Mk4 front differentials in all 4 axles and transfer boxes from Landcruisers to complete the drivetrain. 4.7 litre engine with automatic trans and Hilux front hub assemblies with custom arms and driveshafts. The hardest part is figuring out the best way of steering 3 axles..... Unless someone knows of a ready made 8x8 chassis to use....

hi i would like to see it sounds great you wouldnt have any trouble in selling here are a few pics of the trebs (2) started work on it again recently as my opel olyimpia is 90% done.

peppa pig 295.jpg

peppa pig 296.jpg

peppa pig 298.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...