Foreign bunkers

I came across these bunkers whilst on holiday in South-tirol (Italy) and the Vendee (France).

The first two are bunkers built by the Austrians to defend the Reschenpass (the most important pass to Italy after the Brenner), the first by Glurns (Glorenza) the second outside Mals:

Hol99-1-Bunker-Glurns.jpg

Hol99-1-Bunker-Mals.jpg

The next are German-built on the island of Noirmoutier,and cover the Loire estuary, which gave access to the ports of nantes and St Nazaire. The first is roofed with local tiles - I assume a form of camoflague. The next two shots show what looks like an ammo-sorage bunker for a coast-gun site.

Hol02-1-Bunker-Noirmoutier1.jpg

Hol02-2-Bunker-Noirmoutier2a.jpg

Hol02-2-Bunker-Noirmoutier2b.jpg

Roger

I wa pretty sure about the first but as I said not the second ,thought it may be above the sea wall with the smugglers inn to the right ,still one out of two aint bad for a tourist and I will go and take a look at this one when I am over in january doing some work at the heavy machine gun bunker at La Corbiere

Nigel

Dont know if I will see Martier Garnier as he seems to spend most of his time at Les Landes but I will pass on your regards via Malcolm Amy at Corbiere,I will however be meeting up with FC101Daz and his family for a belated christmas meal out

Nigel

Dont know if I will see Martier Garnier as he seems to spend most of his time at Les Landes but I will pass on your regards via Malcolm Amy at Corbiere,I will however be meeting up with FC101Daz and his family for a belated christmas meal out

Nigel

Thanks for that. While your over there, I'm trying to get a copy of Robinson Headley.

robinson headley? you got me on that one although a quick google showed up an astronomy guide which is what I am guessing you are after and if you were thinking of the excellent second hand bookshop in St Helier I am afraid it has closed down,I believe the husband died and the wife found it too much on her own,a sad loss like Damien Horns shop and the collectors shop near the masonic temple

Nigel

WHAT!! Ah my boy!! Your'e eductaion is incomplete 'a!

:-D

There is also Braod bean down, and Take that grouville.

I will hang my hea in sheame. The Great Man's latest epic is called Robinson Crapaud, I understand he visits The 'Other' place. You must know Mike from Fortress Films?

Edited by Tony B

well you live and learn I had not heard of Robinson Headley until now but can see something intriguing that needs more investigation and as for fortress films the name rings a bell and a quick google bought up thier website which has some interesting pictures and I certainly recognise a couple of the German soldiers guarding the bunker entrance

Nigel

http://www.bunkerbehoud.com/

A Dutch association , who took the honourable task, to restore and preserve the bunkers on the Walcheren peninsula,

We had the honour to a private visit of several restored bunkers , we were amazed , inside and outside restored as they were back in 1944 , beds , tables , colestove , even periscopes and personal belongings of the former occupators, it was all there.

Those men are doing fantastic jobs over there!!!

I've visited Walcheren. Beautiful place with the added atrraction of Middleburgh, the wride street of crazy buildings and there's a Sherman in the area. The atlantic Wall has ben on the must go list for years. Daft thing is it is an easy day trip from SE England.

maybe this would make a suitable hmvf trip when the weather warms up a bit

Nigel

I'd love to. For Walcheren there is brilliant camp site we used just outside Middleburgh. takes the big green stuf fwithout batting an eyelid. Renne the owner is very easy to please , just take a crate of Guinness or Tiger beer and some copies of Viz.

the atlantic Wall layout is near Zeebrugge, so about two two and hours drive from Channel ports. What about Ebn Emael? though that would probably be a two day.

http://www.campingmiddelburg.nl/

I came across these bunkers whilst on holiday in South-tirol (Italy) and the Vendee (France).

The first two are bunkers built by the Austrians to defend the Reschenpass (the most important pass to Italy after the Brenner), the first by Glurns (Glorenza) the second outside Mals:

Hol99-1-Bunker-Glurns.jpg

Hol99-1-Bunker-Mals.jpg

The next are German-built on the island of Noirmoutier,and cover the Loire estuary, which gave access to the ports of nantes and St Nazaire. The first is roofed with local tiles - I assume a form of camoflague. The next two shots show what looks like an ammo-sorage bunker for a coast-gun site.

Hol02-1-Bunker-Noirmoutier1.jpg

Hol02-2-Bunker-Noirmoutier2a.jpg

Hol02-2-Bunker-Noirmoutier2b.jpg

Roger

great pictures ,, I've been going through some old family albums trying to find pictures of my Grandfather ( Royal Engineer ) in Egypt stood with a military truck I've not found it yet so don't want to get other pics scanned until they're found them , in one album there is a pic of my Grandfathers group erecting shuttering to form something like one of these wrote next to the pic it says Italy Castel Del Rio