army bantams

Bantam Richard

Hi

For every day two work and back i ride a BSA D1 (1949) Bantam.

I have been told that she is one of a Bach that went in to the MOD. I know the nave had some on the aircraft carrier and the RAF regiment had some as well as the army. For light dispatch work and training bikes and base transport.

But now is the hard bit. WE have been told by Exrider we have photo but no info from the middle bit (number, reg number,)?

CAN anyone help?

Thank you

Richard

Edited by Marmite!!

Richard,

The easiest way to find out whether your D1 was originally supplied to the military is to give the BSA Owners Club a go, seeing as they have the dispatch records going back to 1930. You might get lucky and even find the original contract number. After that you could ask the Royal Logistic Corps Museum to do a search of the B vehicle history cards to find it's original registration number.

Hope this helps,

Stefano

Thank you

The BSA owners have no records.

As a member of the bantam owners I know we have no info except nowing that 6.500 left the bsa works and whent into the MOD.

But i will give the RLC mus a try and report back.

Thank you

Richard

Hi Richard,

Strange one here, I have never ever come across any reference to the British Forces using BSA Bantams, and being a one time Bantam owner and other BSA's in the past, I am sure I would have remembered. If you are talking about the late Forties / early Fifties period, there was no MoD then, vehicles were procured by the Ministry of Supply. If MoS bought them, they might have been used in some other government department, perhaps these are the GPO telegram bikes (?), I don't know if GPO vehicles came via MoS at that time. That is quite a large number, 6,500, so if the army or navy did have any I am sure we would have seen surplus ones come to light before. About that time there were postwar model James lightweight m/cycles used in the Forces.

Will keep on looking and see if any reference turns up.

regards, Richard

Thanks for some good info and phone call with Richard Farrant

Hi in the Peter Henshaw on the BSA Bantam page 15. He show a BSA Bantam B175 still in military trim. This was the Military Bushman. Sorry about the long wed page link but it may help the little gray cells( as some Belgium put it).

http://books.google.com/books?id=PnyR2d3GifkC&dq=BSA+Bantam+By+Peter+Henshaw&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=-MY8-kvCUm&sig=OpT8CbVImLHSqmE7o2T6yTlWZUE&hl=en&ei=H-I8S4CrBaehjAeX75CtDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Richard