real or fake tiger 1 geny

eddy8men

Hi guys

I bought this from ebay ,the seller claimed it came from the placy montaigu region and could have come from a tiger 1,now i'm no expert on these things but i thought it was worth a gamble as it certainly looks like it came from a german vehicle.If anyone could shed some light on it's origins i'd be very grateful.many thanks eddy

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Again steve your knowledge of all things armoured amazes me,I had posted this on another forum this morning and a chap from poland posted the diagram for a panther dynamo and it was definately the same one,do you know if they were interchangeable with the tiger.I have to admit i'm pretty chuffed i had a nasty feeling somebody was going to tell me it was a motor from an old table saw .i owe you a pint(Again)

all the best eddy

eddy8men

do you know if they were interchangeable with the tiger.

I would imaging that they are interchangeable panther motors are (600bhp) Hl230 p30 as were Tiger 2. Tiger 1 motors were HL230 p45 (700bhp) the change in performance could be the carbs. Generators should not vary much or at all as the electrics are all a muchness.

The French used a number of Hl230 motors on protoype tanks in the post war period and if I remember correctly a fleet of 60 ARL44 tanks, with motors classed as 575Bhp and a very very limited use of a few Panthers Post War. So it is probably not surprising that a number of HL230 parts are around. Wheels and tracks reported two crated HL230 about 20 years ago.

Actually I think you should go for a ARL44 or a AMX50 rather than a Panther now that would be a head turner.

Steve

Again steve your knowledge of all things armoured amazes me,I had posted this on another forum this morning and a chap from poland posted the diagram for a panther dynamo and it was definately the same one,do you know if they were interchangeable with the tiger.I have to admit i'm pretty chuffed i had a nasty feeling somebody was going to tell me it was a motor from an old table saw .i owe you a pint(Again)

all the best eddy

Its a motor from an old table saw! bom bom tish :rofl:

I wouldn't hold out much hope from Bovvy, they would be delighted to receive it as a gift but are unlikely to offer you anything for it.

If you want to sell it, do so. Listed correctly, it would sell well on ebay or offer it to a collector well known for his German AFV interest and make a useful contact in the world of tank restoration!

I'd reckon the best people to speak to about it would be the Tank Museum at Bovington (they have a Tiger 1 theyv'e restored after all) They also have the biggest research archive of any museum on armoured warfare. I'm sure theres a link to that on their website

I learned recently that one of best friends and Army buddies has got himself a job at Bovvy and apparently spent Sunday doing work inside the Tiger turret. things must have changed. In my day, "working inside the turret" was a euphemism for "sleeping off a hangover".

1. Nobody will find you.

2. If anyone thinks to look inside the turret for you, you stand a chance of hearing them and looking busy.

3. If you don't hear them, when they look inside the hatch, all they'll see is the top of your head and can reasonably assume you are checking out the gunner's / commander's (delete as appropriate) sight.

Just don't snore. SUCH a giveaway.

Catnapping in the turret. Mmm yes that takes me back.

were all guilty of that one, you can always spot someone who'd been doing a sleeping inspection of the turret when he got out due to him having cramp in his neck.

what was said earlier about Bovington taking it as a gift, It reminded me of something.

I was talking to one of the curators when i was there and he said when the first arms amnesty happened after the Hungerford masacre, some police force sent them an old live 38 webley revolver and about 20 rounds of ammunition through the post in a jiffy bag, that someone had handed in at the local nick.

He said there was hell on......you couldent make it up could you?