Snow..

Marmite!!

What is all this snow stuff that seems to have caused chaos?

Got up Thursday and there was a covering of snow in the Chiltern Hills.

In fact it was so bad I left the Land Rover where it was ant took the car to North Wales for a few days.

Still waiting for all this severe weather, must have blinked and messed it.

Mike

Found similar thing ourselves last week - people round my neck of the woods have been struggling around in 4 to 12" of snow & ice but we travelled to Cheltenham for step-son-to-be's graduation and after we got around twenty miles from here the roads were completely clear & the fields only had a thin coating of white .

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically the snow on your roof could be considered an unsafe load and subject to penalties. The artic trailer I drag about is over 13ft high 8.5ft wide and 45ft long, ten inches of snow on the roof would be a huge amount to have fall on a cyclist in a worse case scenario, but how on earth do I remove it? H&S prevents me climbing onto the roof as it is over 2m high, perhaps I should restrain it with several ratchet straps.

Sounds like a well meant safety orders doesn't work in the real world.

So what would happen if you challenge a fine in court regarding this issue?

Sounds like a well meant safety orders doesn't work in the real world.

So what would happen if you challenge a fine in court regarding this issue?

You'd lose!! Belive me Mon V, there have been some clowns out there with windscreens and roofs covered in snow. I saw one car with the roof laden come up to a junction at at stupid speed. They then realised the car in front of me was at the junction on the main road, braked hard. The snow on the roof went sliding off straight into the path of the other vehicle, in large lumps. The second car hit the lumps and went into a slide. Fortunatley no one hurt. The $%^&** who caused it? Span round onto the road and skidded off with tyres squealing.

You'd lose!! Belive me Mon V, there have been some clowns out there with windscreens and roofs covered in snow. I saw one car with the roof laden come up to a junction at at stupid speed. They then realised the car in front of me was at the junction on the main road, braked hard. The snow on the roof went sliding off straight into the path of the other vehicle, in large lumps. The second car hit the lumps and went into a slide. Fortunatley no one hurt. The $%^&** who caused it? Span round onto the road and skidded off with tyres squealing.

I understand the merit in removing snow.

My concern was as to how without breaking a H&S law concerning removing snow above 2 meters?

Will you get excempt from H&S in this case to make it possible to abey trafic laws?

Or will you be forced to stay home?

Not our bunch Joris.:( Due to various wrangaling, over money of course, the fleet was only of the road last Wednesday. Hasn't been much safer any other day, but if the wheels don't turn the company don't earn. It's the driver ends up with any fines or points on their licence.

Not our bunch Joris.:( Due to various wrangaling, over money of course, the fleet was only of the road last Wednesday. Hasn't been much safer any other day, but if the wheels don't turn the company don't earn. It's the driver ends up with any fines or points on their licence.

I'm Olaf...

So the driver will foot the bill/gets stuffed...nice.

I understand the merit in removing snow.

My concern was as to how without breaking a H&S law concerning removing snow above 2 meters?

Will you get excempt from H&S in this case to make it possible to abey trafic laws?

Or will you be forced to stay home?

I expect the view of officialdom is you can't move with snow on an artic trailer roof, and you can't clear it safely so either get someone in with a cherry picker to clear it, or park up until it melts.

I expect the view of officialdom is you can't move with snow on an artic trailer roof, and you can't clear it safely so either get someone in with a cherry picker to clear it, or park up until it melts.

Or call Trumpton!! They had an Ariel out in the high street Orpington on Friday. Taking down icicles and snow of roofs, plus collapsed guttering, unsafe scaffold.

Just seen -16 tea time to night on a back road at Barrow upon Humber also on news not far away last night it dropped to -17.5 at West Butterwick. Strangly it didnt feel that cold while i was winching a van out of a field and on to a slide bed. But one of my ratchet straps which had been in cab froze to deck of truck before i had chance to fit it Company has been to at least a dozen vehicles to day with frozen cooling systems and two trucks with waxed diesel

Edited by cosrec

Yes very funny:D -just wait until summer when the cyprus local authorities are cutting off the water supply,:cool2:

Steve

Funny that Steve we dont seem to suffer that problem, only a reduced pressure so not had any issues.... :kiss: :nut: But yes do know of others that suffer....

Knock on the door an hour ago "DHL" Driver says "have you got A Tractor?"

I tell him no, but go to see what he wants, His Sprinter has slipped off the driveway to my neighbours, and is headed in the general direction of their fishing lake. Every attempt to move has slid him nearer the slope to the lake.

snowscenes003.jpg

snowscenes002.jpg

Excuse to Play!

So up to the shed and fetch the Douglas.

Unfortunately there is a gateway very close to where we are and it takes several shuffles to get into a suitable position, only to find a Sprinter has nothing on the back to pull off (if you still want a spare wheel carrier after the operation).

Decide on going round a rear road spring, and tying the rope to my anchor to keep it low and below the rear steps of the Merc.

snowscenes006.jpg

snowscenes005.jpg

snowscenes004.jpg

A short pull/ reposition and another pull and the Merc squeezes past the gate posts by about six inches as it rolls back onto the drive way.

I am glad I got the diff changed last week, while I was unable to get into work!

Edited by antarmike