Snow..

Marmite!!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning truck had 4 to 6 inch of snow on it it was clear at 1 this morning . Wifes car was showing -4 . Drove in to Hull roads wet everything melting drove back down M62 to go to sheffield Freezing Fog frost building up inside windows Ice from wing mirrors down to bottom of doors Stopped at services to cadge some baco foil of kitchen staff to cover radiator with walked back out all melting. Tonight had to go in Leyland Drops iam converting to pull out a 18 tonner that had got stuck in 6 in snow laid on layers of ice Main road was clear on the way there coming back 1 hr later had to stop for car that spun in front of us had to use all diff locks to set off again about 3 in of snow We have another truck a Volvo F12 that has been running non stop for 48 hours Driver has just rung to say he his stuck just North of York with brake valves frozen Weird weather or what

Tale of woe in the snow

Well, it's sunday & MOST of the snow has melted in Ashford. Roads OK. Saw the forecast & it informs that it's going to get a LOT colder! Looks like more snow then!........:nut:

Had a 'Lovely' day on Friday. Had to go on a 150 Mile roundtrip to worthing to collect some expensive items.

On the return journey, all was well until I was exiting Battle High street.

The road terminates in a 'Y' Junction with one of those stupid little painted roundabouts on it.

I was doing approx 20 Mph & obviously driving cautiously. Old git in front approx 30 ft away indicates left & turns RIGHT. Then stops for no apparant reason!

Obviously I brake gently, little old VW Polo of mine decides to skid in a straight line!

NO amount of frantic wheel turning will make her deviate!

CRASH! into left kerbside! Result: LHF wheel pushed back 3" or so. JUST touching plastic inner wheel arch liner. Old git drives off as if nothing has happend! I dont have AA or RAC Recovery either, so I have no choice but to limp the 1 hour journey left home. Noisy, but I got home OK. I guess the wet/snow on the roads help keep the tyre cool enough to make it back home.

Pretty upset as you can imagine! I think it will need a replacment lower wishbone which will be about £85 quid. I need to fit it myself as I cannot afford garage labour costs. Also, as the car is a '93 it's only third party cover. No money left now for the spare part after the Friday acqusitions! I havent even started to do Christmas shopping!

No room on my drive due to Mil vehicles (Truck & Armoured car) car has to sit in road. No garage to do the work in. Bl"%*y Freezing outside!

NEED to have transport due to being a Carer for my Wife.

Im pretty much in the deep Do, Do I feel!........:nut:

I keep telling myself that there are indeed others who are a lot worse off then me. This is true of course, & I can console myself that at least I still have three wheel stations that are not damaged!.....

Anybody wanna buy a MK2/4 Turreted Ferret with Browning mount?..........:-(

Happy Days!............? Depressed Mike. :cry:

Edited by ferretfixer

Last week has been the worst driving conditions I've ever known. How I got through without an acident I'm still trying to work out. When you stop 6.448kgs on the road with the handbrake set, you don't expect it to start sliding gently down the camber towards the kerb.:confused:

Tale of woe in the snow

Well, it's sunday & MOST of the snow has melted in Ashford. Roads OK. Saw the forecast & it informs that it's going to get a LOT colder! Looks like more snow then!........:nut:

Had a 'Lovely' day on Friday. Had to go on a 150 Mile roundtrip to worthing to collect some expensive items.

On the return journey, all was well until I was exiting Battle High street.

The road terminates in a 'Y' Junction with one of those stupid little painted roundabouts on it.

I was doing approx 20 Mph & obviously driving cautiously. Old git in front approx 30 ft away indicates left & turns RIGHT. Then stops for no apparant reason!

Obviously I brake gently, little old VW Polo of mine decides to skid in a straight line!

NO amount of frantic wheel turning will make her deviate!

CRASH! into left kerbside! Result: LHF wheel pushed back 3" or so. JUST touching plastic inner wheel arch liner. Old git drives off as if nothing has happend! I dont have AA or RAC Recovery either, so I have no choice but to limp the 1 hour journey left home. Noisy, but I got home OK. I guess the wet/snow on the roads help keep the tyre cool enough to make it back home.

Pretty upset as you can imagine! I think it will need a replacment lower wishbone which will be about £85 quid. I need to fit it myself as I cannot afford garage labour costs. Also, as the car is a '93 it's only third party cover. No money left now for the spare part after the Friday acqusitions! I havent even started to do Christmas shopping!

No room on my drive due to Mil vehicles (Truck & Armoured car) car has to sit in road. No garage to do the work in. Bl"%*y Freezing outside!

NEED to have transport due to being a Carer for my Wife.

Im pretty much in the deep Do, Do I feel!........:nut:

I keep telling myself that there are indeed others who are a lot worse off then me. This is true of course, & I can console myself that at least I still have three wheel stations that are not damaged!.....

Anybody wanna buy a MK2/4 Turreted Ferret with Browning mount?..........:-(

Happy Days!............? Depressed Mike. :cry:

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate.

Is there not a scrappy near you that you can get the part from?

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate.

Is there not a scrappy near you that you can get the part from?

Nah, the nearest ripleys here. They only buy cars in for the scrap value & wont let you take anything off of thier 'Stock'! Car dismantelers these days are being closed down by regualtions that have come into force. IE: Possibility of prossecution over selling a part that MAY have failed in a subsequent accident Etc. Guess a new one will have to be on the cards. (When I can borrow the money!) :nut: It's the lack of a facility working under cover that concerns me mainly. :-(

What is all this snow stuff that seems to have caused chaos?

Got up Thursday and there was a covering of snow in the Chiltern Hills.

In fact it was so bad I left the Land Rover where it was ant took the car to North Wales for a few days.

Still waiting for all this severe weather, must have blinked and messed it.

Mike

The local rumour is several people have been stopped by the police and been given £60 on the spot fines for driving with snow on the roof. They reckon that roof should be swept clean before setting out on any journey.

Ho, Ho Ho, and goodwill to all men, don't spring readily to mind....

Edited by antarmike

The local rumour is several people have been stopped by the police and been given £60 on the spot fines for driving with snow on the roof. They reckon that roof should be swept clean before setting out on any journey.

Ho, Ho Ho, and goodwill to all men, don't spring readily to mind....

Severe Weather Advice

Lothian and Borders Police is requesting that motorists take extra care while driving in the challenging weather conditions

Lothian and Borders Police is requesting that motorists take extra care while driving in the challenging weather conditions which are being experienced across the Borders area.

Before setting out drivers are urged to make sure their vehicles are capable of completing their journey with windows fully cleared and any snow deposits removed from the roof and bonnet.

A police spokesman said: "We are again reminding motorists they should only take their vehicles out if their journey is absolutely essential. Inconsiderate drivers are abandoning their cars in inappropriate places which is causing problems for other motorists, public transport and those who are struggling to clear the roads and keep traffic flowing.

"Others are not properly clearing their vehicles and then large deposits of snow are falling off, leading to hazardous driving for other road users."

Ends

www.lbp.police.uk

media.relations@lbp.pnn.police.uk

For further information, contact Lothian and Borders Police Media Office on 0131 311 3423

http://www.lbp.police.uk/press_release/articles/2010/November/30/1.htm

Would be an offence if you cause an accident..

Road Traffic act 1988 Section 3 -

3 Careless, and inconsiderate, driving.

If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public

place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for

other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.”

Highway Code

Before you set off

• you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows

• you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible

• make sure the mirrors are clear and the windows are demisted thoroughly

• remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users

• check your planned route is clear of delays and that no further snowfalls or severe weather are predicted

Many road users have been concerned in particular by rumours that they could be fined for driving with snow on their roofs.

The Road Policing Unit said that there is no specific legislation on driving with snow on the roof of a vehicle, however if it slips over the windscreen, or flies into the path of another car, it could leave the driver open to being penalised for driving without due consideration, dangerous driving, not being in proper control of the vehicle, not having a full view ahead and windows not being sufficiently clean.

A police spokesman said: “Any snow left on vehicle bodywork, such as the bonnet or roof, could slide onto lights or windows causing dangerous obstruction to vision of the driver or signals to other road users.

“Any large amount of snow could slide from a moving vehicle and onto a footpath or roadway possibly causing danger or injury to other road users or pedestrians.”

Edited by Marmite!!

Theoretically the snow on your roof could be considered an unsafe load and subject to penalties. The artic trailer I drag about is over 13ft high 8.5ft wide and 45ft long, ten inches of snow on the roof would be a huge amount to have fall on a cyclist in a worse case scenario, but how on earth do I remove it? H&S prevents me climbing onto the roof as it is over 2m high, perhaps I should restrain it with several ratchet straps.