Snow..

Marmite!!

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got sent home early from the new job today - no office staff had made it in and only half the warehouse people so at 16:00 we were told to head home. No sign of council gritters either this morning or tonight and the roads were slippery and icy. And both to and from work I had a twat in a van literally sitting on the Citroens back bumper!! Tomorrow I'm using the Exploder!! :D:D

We had a tiny splattering this morning and it has been snowing allbeit very lightly all day, still trying now but its just melting on impact so roads will be slippery tomorrow. Have had 3 of the girls from work ask if they can cadge a lift in the morning if its snowy!!!!! I only drive an Audi nothing special, its just the family car!!!!!

We pray for snow

but were sick of it now every vehicle we have is on the road somewhere either stuck or stuck behind queues of traffic all three motorways M62 M18 M180 are closed due to blizzards or jacknifed artics. One minute its big wet floppy snow flakes next its hail about 4" since tea time on top of 6" that fell and froze earlier in day.

Working the night shift, I tried to drive in but the roads were jammed solid so got a train and was then stuck for at East Croydon for 45 mins. I only needed to go 1 more stop so walked with a collegue. Its only 20 min walk but I was very happy with my thermals and new (to me, army surplus) gortex lined boots.

Doesn't look like many trains leaving the depot in the morning as they are expecting a shortage of Drivers.

The rail infrastructure seems to be holding up but the new trains just can't cope with the snow on the 3rd rail as their collecter shoe gear is much lighter and can't cut through the ice on the rail. The older stock has heavier shoe gear, but it wears out far quicker.

Hoping I can get home in the morning....

bad here in sheffield waist deep in places , been to work this morning got sent home my little 4x4 goes well in the snow ! its not the snow thats the problem its people walking in the road kids on sledges and quad bikes and when you drive past them they dont move and look at you as if you shouldnt be there its a road for gods sake !:argh:

Just a thought....put on yer best modern thermals & gortex & all the other up to date latest kit & spend 1 hour after midnight sitting still in the worst of what you've got (snow I mean).

Then spare a thought for the poor buggers who spent 4 long winters (WW1) actually living & fighting outside on a permanent basis, in kit that is now nearly 100 years old, trying to stay alive & keep kit & weapons & vehicles in working order.

For our tomorrow etc etc.......

Depressing thought init ?:cry:

H

Funny enough someone else made the same remark about the Great War today, and don't forget WW2! I've just measured the snow sitting on top of the Volvo at 9.5 inches, and about the same expected tonight. The wind is also getting up just to add to the fun! Don't think I'll be driving me little red bus anywhere tommorow.

I reckon you should all come to Chesham (in the Chiltern Hills) where the show amounts to about 2cm (in the drifts).

You can then all enjoy yourselves laughing at those who are panicking because there is snow (just).

Have ridden motorbikes in more snow than we have.

I want some snow, it's not fair:cry:

Mikie