ww2 15cwt "Gin Palaces"

early british ww2

Hi

as stated elsewhere i used to own the Ant that went to Eddie Smith..

fyi there was nothing remaining in the way of original fittings in the body, but the external rear body painted insignia was a red 53 on top of sigs blue white flash...

white freehand painted census numbers painted on/up vertical side of bonnet, remains of white stars only on doors.

there had been an enamelled steel plate (not brass) on the drivers door which was a copy of the wiring diagram and iirc it was a straight copy of the layout in the Manual..

hope this helps..

there was a centrefold (!) photo of a Guy Ant gin palace in a 70s issue of 'Old Motor' magazine, taken in convoy in Italy. In colour. will try to find it..

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks glynn for the pictures they look very nice. I get a beter idear on how to do the inside of my radiobody.

can you tell what the cover is that is on the right fender see in the big circle.[ATTACH=CONFIG]36348[/ATTACH]

and I thought that the switchbord was placed on the wall under the table, was it allways on this place?

do you know any more of the 4 switches for sale, I have the switchbord but no switches in it.

if you have any more info I like to know, thanks for now glynn

cheers jaap.

Hi jaap ,

As far as I am aware most of the items you see in the back are fitted in the same position as they had always been as they just seem to fit back right in position if you get my meaning . It is like putting a mechano set together in that holes existed in most cases where things had been previously fastened .

The switchboard as far as I am aware has always been in that position on mine and was also in the same position on the body I extracted the bits from as under the table , although the photo's don't show them were various Battery securing clamps and trays etc with the centre bit being where the wireless ops feet would go in an indented tray in the floor .

I did have a spare switchboard at one time but will have to have a look as I think I may have passed it on but will let you know if I find it .

The object on the end of the wheelarch sits next to the seat on the wheelarch and is simply an open topped box to put items such as aerial tubes etc in and is nothing fancy as it is a simple box made from plywood and tin - I will try and get up to the unit at some stage and take some more pics for you if you like .

When I bought the truck it was empty in the back of most of the fixtures and fittings - It had the wall lights and blackouts and the fan and switches in the corner but it only had a wooden bench along the rear to make an improvised bed . I was extremely lucky to find a radio body in a yard in Lincolnshire which had all of the correct items I needed for mine such as the genny cupboard , the ops table , cupboards/shelving units and the fastenings to go with them - we also got all brackets and the seat that hangs from te genny cupboard also so we were very lucky in that respect - I will post more when I get them but if you need any more info then please just give me a shout Cheers :coffee:

Hi

as stated elsewhere i used to own the Ant that went to Eddie Smith..

fyi there was nothing remaining in the way of original fittings in the body, but the external rear body painted insignia was a red 53 on top of sigs blue white flash...

white freehand painted census numbers painted on/up vertical side of bonnet, remains of white stars only on doors.

there had been an enamelled steel plate (not brass) on the drivers door which was a copy of the wiring diagram and iirc it was a straight copy of the layout in the Manual..

hope this helps..

there was a centrefold (!) photo of a Guy Ant gin palace in a 70s issue of 'Old Motor' magazine, taken in convoy in Italy. In colour. will try to find it..

Hi Mate ,

Yes you are right as I have stated elsewhere the wireless truck came to me from Eddie and didn't have much in the way of original fittings in the rear - Just the lamps and electric sockets , blow tube and fan in the corner - The only other thing in there was a table across the width of the body up front which made a sort of improvised bed .

I have all the original fittings now after a lot of searching etc .

Do you know whatever happened to the enamelled plate with the wiring diagram on it as I don't think that was on when I got the truck although there is a plate on the drivers door which has been painted over and some more holes where other plates etc had been - i must go and have a look .

Did you ever find any of the bits and bobs you said you might have a little while back ? Please let me know cheers :coffee:

Hi jaap ,

As far as I am aware most of the items you see in the back are fitted in the same position as they had always been as they just seem to fit back right in position if you get my meaning . It is like putting a mechano set together in that holes existed in most cases where things had been previously fastened .

The switchboard as far as I am aware has always been in that position on mine and was also in the same position on the body I extracted the bits from as under the table , although the photo's don't show them were various Battery securing clamps and trays etc with the centre bit being where the wireless ops feet would go in an indented tray in the floor .

I did have a spare switchboard at one time but will have to have a look as I think I may have passed it on but will let you know if I find it .

The object on the end of the wheelarch sits next to the seat on the wheelarch and is simply an open topped box to put items such as aerial tubes etc in and is nothing fancy as it is a simple box made from plywood and tin - I will try and get up to the unit at some stage and take some more pics for you if you like .

When I bought the truck it was empty in the back of most of the fixtures and fittings - It had the wall lights and blackouts and the fan and switches in the corner but it only had a wooden bench along the rear to make an improvised bed . I was extremely lucky to find a radio body in a yard in Lincolnshire which had all of the correct items I needed for mine such as the genny cupboard , the ops table , cupboards/shelving units and the fastenings to go with them - we also got all brackets and the seat that hangs from te genny cupboard also so we were very lucky in that respect - I will post more when I get them but if you need any more info then please just give me a shout Cheers :coffee:

thanks glynn for this info you were lucky indeed to find that extra body with all those fittings. I hope you find that switchbord or parts for it. I have one more quiestion about the length of the antenna poles in the sidebrackets. I have to place the brackets back on and only have the old wholes for one bracket and not for the other one so I want to know how far they are apart. hope you can help.

hope to see more pictures if you have. :rotfl: :dancinggirls:

cheers jaap

thanks glynn for this info you were lucky indeed to find that extra body with all those fittings. I hope you find that switchbord or parts for it. I have one more quiestion about the length of the antenna poles in the sidebrackets. I have to place the brackets back on and only have the old wholes for one bracket and not for the other one so I want to know how far they are apart. hope you can help.

hope to see more pictures if you have. :rotfl: :dancinggirls:

cheers jaap

Hi Jaap , No bother I will measure the length of the poles on the side of my truck - Has your nody also got the map board/table attached to the other side or is it a different type cheers Glynn

thanks glynn

yes my body has the table on the rightside to I am restoring it now.

I have still a lot to do now the outside is about ready (only some small things to do) the inside of the body needs some work to but everything in time.

see the last 4 pictures.

cheers jaap

pencil.png

tafel.JPG

tafel 3.JPG

antenne beugels 3.JPG

body  36.JPG

61 chassis.JPG

body  39.JPG

thanks glynn

yes my body has the table on the rightside to I am restoring it now.

I have still a lot to do now the outside is about ready (only some small things to do) the inside of the body needs some work to but everything in time.

see the last 4 pictures.

cheers jaap

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36690[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36691[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36693[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36694[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36695[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]36692[/ATTACH]

pencil.png

Thanks Jaap and a very nice truck too - It is a credit to you! I will try and get the m,easurements you need this week cheers:thumbsup:

Hello,

My brother bought this wireless body some years ago. Maybe on this thread I can find out what this type is, on which vehicle it belongs and what year it's from.

5136719359_d36022eac4.jpg

5136716777_6fc6f70407.jpg

The roof is not original, and placed on the original roof.

Edited by austintilly

Hi Jaap ,

There are 14 of the aerial tubes on the side of the wireless truck in total and they are all 80 inches long - Obviously held in a rigid frame at one end with an opener at the other end and a strap in the middle to keep them all together and stop them from chattering - Hope this helps cheers Glynn:thumbsup:

thanks glynn for the measurements.

now I can place the second bracket onto the body at the right distance.

did you find any switchbord parts yet ?

cheers jaap

• 3 months later...

he glynn the work on the truck is going great. I hope your radiobody is getting there to, any pictures maybe ?

here are some pictures form my truck, I start on the inside now and already made the blackout for the small window. so now the rest...

O before I forget to ask, did you had time to look for the charge switch bord parts glynn. :cool2:

cheers jaap

:drive:

dak 7.JPG

65 chassis.JPG

antenne mount 5.JPG

body  48.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Hi Glynn,

thanks for the welcome. I have uploaded an image of my old truck in the "early Guy Ant" string. Just went through my files:

Census No. Z4646406 Car No. A22257 I sold off to "Kiwi" who is also on this forum, he got all the NOS spares including 3 engines from scrapped trucks. As I recall there were aprox. 20 Ants in NZ. some were GS and others House-type Wireless-Ants, I could account for only 10 either as remains (engines) or had located the actual vehicle. I knew of 2 Wireless-Ants, one chassis (bent) and one unrestored. I know for sure that at least 4 were scrapped. There is another GS restored in West Melton (near Christchurch) NZ.

While in the UK I met a chap in Sheffield who had one, pretty much a stripped chassis and I think the engine was seized. They were extremely rare 20 years ago, good to see some more brought back to life.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello David,

You may remember me from the early 1980's, you took me for a ride in your GuyAnt GS from Ross Hopkins yard in Hamilton NZ out to his house. I think you had almost finished restoring the truck.

Anyway just wanted to say Hi and to add that Gavin and I recently recovered the GuyAnt radio truck out the back of Martinbourgh. (4 years after paying for it :P) it has been converted to a compressor truck but is mechanically mostly complete although both engines are seized from being out in the weather for decades!

I plan on getting it drivable, but may take the 1950's compressor off the back if it turns out it can't be resurrected. I would probably make up a basic flat deck just to make truck practical.

After spending an hour lubricating the heck out of everything I managed to get the brakes to operate (just). Its ironic how things work out as approx 20 years ago Dad cut up the remains of a "Ant" as we did not have enough to do anything with it,:shocked: but he did keep a new radiator for one. Lastly if you look on my profile you can see the truck as recovered a few weeks ago (date stamped) and it now resides amongst the other vehicles in our collection.

Kind regards,

Brent Delaney :-)

Hi Brent,

good to hear from you, though I'm somewhat saddened to hear the Ant was scrapped. The radiator is likely the one I gave your father as he desperately needed one to get the Ant running, hope you can make good use of it, now.

I have seen an image somewhere of the Ant you bought, have you found the chassis number (stamped into the NS rail below the passengers seat) or the contract number plate mounted near the steering column. You will find the WD number on each side of the bonnet under the civy paint.

If you are looking to build a rear body, which are composite, so not that complicated there is a restored one near Christchurch.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Brent,

good to hear from you, though I'm somewhat saddened to hear the Ant was scrapped. The radiator is likely the one I gave your father as he desperately needed one to get the Ant running, hope you can make good use of it, now.

I have seen an image somewhere of the Ant you bought, have you found the chassis number (stamped into the NS rail below the passengers seat) or the contract number plate mounted near the steering column. You will find the WD number on each side of the bonnet under the civy paint.

If you are looking to build a rear body, which are composite, so not that complicated there is a restored one near Christchurch.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for your reply David, I will check the truck this weekend for its chassis number, I have seen the contract number plate, but it will take a bit to read. I have posted this picture on another Ant thread, it appears this truck has been known about for quite a long time. The previous owner's Dad used it to sand blast bridge peers around the Wairarapa. He also had jeeps and dodges but they are long gone now.

100_1016.jpg

Hi Brent,

found an image, though black and white. She is definately a "Wireless-Ant", which would have had real doors.

Cheers,

Dave

h0102595.jpg

Yes thats my truck :) I have removed that non military compressor off its back today. Maybe I had better start my own thread on EA6939.

Yes thats my truck :) I have removed that non military compressor off its back today. Maybe I had better start my own thread on EA6939.

Hi Mate , nice find and thanks for posting the pic up on the forum - Like Dave says it is definitely a wireless Ant and should have originally had a house body on it like my own . If you find a chassis number on it let me know as I may have a copy of a contract card for it - keep posting the pics and good luck with the restoration

cheers Glynn

Hi Mate , nice find and thanks for posting the pic up on the forum - Like Dave says it is definitely a wireless Ant and should have originally had a house body on it like my own . If you find a chassis number on it let me know as I may have a copy of a contract card for it - keep posting the pics and good luck with the restoration

cheers Glynn

Thanks, The previous owners father bought truck off the army as a wireless, but all I got was the truck as pictured and maybe a little extra which I will reveal at a latter date, if it all pans out :)

• 11 months later...

I owned one in the early days C4 early warning. I had to bodies for it one W/T and the early waring one. I sold the lot including all the very hard to find 19 set HP all special arial bases, adaptor plates, switchboard, generator etc . New owner made a mess out of it. Now it is the early warning one with BBC marks. I picked it up in Sweden and still feeling sorry to what the new owner did with it could had been the best.

Regards

Peter Hommes

www.milmarket.org

• 2 years later...