spotlight

Willyslancs

I asked some of my colleagues who were in the Bundeswehr some time ago and here are the results:

1) a para - never saw them!

2) a tankie - remembers them, but can't seem to remember where they were used. He used to drive a Hotchkiss ambulance and had one stowed in the back.

3) a panzer-grenadier - remembers them too, had two stowed in his Marder.

Consensus: it wasn't fixed on a vehicle, rather stowed to provide lighting when required, such as lighting up helipads. It was used free standing.

I'm on duty with a different bunch tomorrow and will interrogate a couple of other ex-Bundeswehr guys.

From what one guy said - it ties in with the "Munga Era" ie the initial series of Bundeswehr vehicles.

Edited by schliesser92
extra info

I've just got off the 'phone to an old ex-Bundeswehr (well civvy contractor actually) relation of mine who worked at the Panzer school in Munsterlager. He says the things were used a lot for guard duties (not unlike carrying a bardic lamp) in the "old days", eventually being replaced by proper torches, and now they use a security firm (with Maglites !)

Conversations with other colleagues proved the above point. They were not part of a vehicle CES, although the engineer versions of the Unimog S404B and Mercedes-Benz LG315 carried a substantial number. They were used carried or free standing and were not mounted on or stowed in a vehicle.

They are not rare, a lot are in private hands, having been "liberated" from their former owners!

If I have read the NSN correctly as 6230-12-124-8775, it comes up as

LATERNE, ELEKTRISCH

BUNDESANT FUER WEHRTECHNIK 6230-020-2

I assume that number is a design spec a bit like a FV number. The manufacturer looks to be Bosch with part numbers:

KEB130-1G

Yes I can see Eisemann in the photo, I thought perhaps there might have been some company amalgamation.

I must have got the NSN wrong. It was the last 4 digits which were the problem. Has anyone got better eyesight?

Edited by fv1609
speeling